Nausea and multivitamins?

Options
Does anyone else deal with this? I try to take the One a Day Women's vitamins and they always make me feel nauseous about 30 mins after I take them. I have tried with both food and on an empty stomach.. the only thing that seems to work okay is taking it at the end of the day with dinner and then laying down afterwards. I took one yesterday morning and ended up throwing up from the damn thing while I was at the pharmacy. Does anyone know what causes it or how to stop it? I have an iron and Vitamin C deficiency so I need to take a vitamin to help with it.

Replies

• kaylorraine44
    kaylorraine44 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem too. Try cutting it in half and taking a half at breakfast and dinner.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I have this problem. I stopped taking vitamins.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I've thrown up a multivitamin before! Never again.
    I actually take those adult gummy multivitamins now (they are delicious) and I haven't had any stomach issues.
    Lots of research points to vitamins being pretty useless though, so maybe consider not taking one at all!
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't take vitamins. Did you try the gummi ones? I took them for a while, then threw them out. they didn't make me sick, but I don't like gummi's either.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I have this problem. I stopped taking vitamins.

+1 for the once a day woman vitamins. I'm currently taking the one a day gummies and haven't experienced any issues with it.
  • IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116
    Options
    The iron and ascorbic acid definitely need to be taken on an empty stomach for synergy in iron absorption.

As far as the MVI, I would try dosing with food and close to bedtime to sleep through the nausea.
    Question for you...are you using a tab or a capsule (liquid) MVI? Generally caps absorb better and faster. I generally stick with Nature Made brand MVIs simply because they are USP certified and the facilities are subject to random inspections.

I believe centrum makes a liquid MVI (worth a try if all else fails)
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Its much better to get your daily vitamins from fruits and vegetables, and no nausea! If you must have them, try a different brand?
  • amm8589
    amm8589 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It can very well be the Iron. I have to take multi-vitamins without iron, otherwise I get sick to my stomach. I would be willing to be that you can't handle iron supplements. That is far more common than most people realize. Even during pregnancy, I couldn't take prenatal vitamins because of the iron content. So look for supplements without iron.
  • raaachelmarie
    raaachelmarie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The Women's One A Day gummies always lost their softness halfway through the bottle. Maybe I wasn't storing them properly, lol.

You could try eating half of your breakfast, taking half of the vitamin, eating the rest of your breakfast and then taking the other half? Or maybe you should just try a different brand because something in the vitamin you're taking could be disagreeing with your body?
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Slow release iron supplements, multivitamin without iron.
    Also, I find that the hard tablets are rough on my stomach. I take a capsule (without iron) and supplement iron SR.
  • Christine_120
    Options
    I was extremely anemic before my hysterectomy and taking iron or even one a days with iron made me ill all the time. I read on an anemia site that if you take a flintstone vitamin or two wont hurt your stomach. So since then that's what I do and I never feel ill. Watch the gummies for adults because some don't have iron.
  • JayDavila
    JayDavila Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I had that problem and I noticed that when I take it with Orange Juice on an empty stomach I don't have that problem anymore. Give it a shot.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I suggest the gummy vitamins too! I take 2 Alive gummies everyday, along with a calcium, and B-12...all in gummy forms. Maybe you could find a gummy strictly for iron.

When I would take the tablets, they would irritate my stomach too.
  • LightEnough2Fly
    Options
    I had that problem and I noticed that when I take it with Orange Juice on an empty stomach I don't have that problem anymore. Give it a shot.

Ima try this now.

I have the same problem.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    If I take a multi that has iron in it, it makes me sick to my stomach. I also get very hot and flushed and have to wait an hour for the side effects to settle down. I switched to something more gentle, Nutrition Now Women's Gummies. It doesn't contain iron, and I haven't had any side effects since I changed. I get enough iron naturally, so I didn't need it in a supplement anyway.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Get a different multivitamin.

Those One-A-Day ones have so many fillers in them that's why your stomach is upset. I used to take them and regardless of whether or not I took them with food I still felt sick to my stomach. When I switched to ones that had no filler I no longer got nauseous.

Also, the gummy ones are mostly sugar.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

Those One-A-Day ones have so many fillers in them that's why your stomach is upset. I used to take them and regardless of whether or not I took them with food I still felt sick to my stomach. When I switched to ones that had no filler I no longer got nauseous.

My gummy vitamins have 2g of sugar, which is less than the fruit it would take to get all those vitamins. It's pretty negligible.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options

My gummy vitamins have 2g of sugar, which is less than the fruit it would take to get all those vitamins. It's pretty negligible.

Agreed. Mine area a whopping 15 calories and I don't gag trying to choke down a horse pill.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Yes and so I don't take vitamins. Sometimes I take a gummy vitamin or separate vitamin do or c but not the big multivitamins
  • Amandabelanger614
    Amandabelanger614 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I take One A Day for women's also. I find that taking them in the middle of your meal is what does the trick. So that it's got food before and after it in your stomach.