Am I doing it wrong?

Options
So I've been strength training along with cardio for my weight loss efforts. I don't wanna lose all this fat and look flabby, right? So at the beginning, I was sore and I was just starting at 10-12 lb free weights. I have a shoulder problem where I cannot bench and I have to control my weight and movements. When I was training then, I knew I had a good workout because I could feel it later or the next day. I work out with body builders because they are my friends and they said they would help me. So I know my form is right. I'm lifting 20-25 pounds now and I don't know what's up! HELP! Please...

Replies

• fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    If you are doing the same exercises, even increasing weight, sometimes your body gets used to it and you don't get sore. I did a kick butt workout on Sunday, I felt the pain doing it. Never got sore the next day like I thought I would.

So it may not be form or anything your doing, your body just may not be getting as sore as it did in the past because you are used to the workout. Try shaking it up a bit.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    What's your question?
  • tgabmac
    tgabmac Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My question was am I still working towards my goal or if I'm wasting my time.

Any ideas or different techniques I can try?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    So I've been strength training along with cardio for my weight loss efforts. I don't wanna lose all this fat and look flabby, right? So at the beginning, I was sore and I was just starting at 10-12 lb free weights. I have a shoulder problem where I cannot bench and I have to control my weight and movements. When I was training then, I knew I had a good workout because I could feel it later or the next day. I work out with body builders because they are my friends and they said they would help me. So I know my form is right. I'm lifting 20-25 pounds now and I don't know what's up! HELP! Please...

I would like to help you.....but I have no idea what you are asking or what help you would like. If you could rephrase that block of text into an actual question I would appreciate it. You could include points such as frequency of training, exercises done. 20lb curls is a lot different than 20lb bent over row.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Well 10-12 lb weights won't do anything for you.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options
    What is your goal? What's your diet look like? Are you following a specific lifting program?

It's hard to say if you're doing it right or wrong without pertinent information.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options

Well 10-12 lb weights won't do anything for you.

10-12 lbs is generally all most women use for lateral raises with good form etc. Really depends on the exercise.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I do weights every day...one day legs, the next arms and abs every day. I change up the exercises I do for one...so I don't get bored and also to work the muscles a little different. I agree with others here. Your body may get used to the exercise and just not feel as sore. Keep it up! I think you will get to your goal.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    "Feeling it the next day" is not an indicator of a good workout. As long as you keep progressing (which it looks like you are, if you moved from 10-12 to 20-25), you're doing it right (provided your form still stays on).

As for doing it "better," if you let us know what moves you use, some of us could suggest compound moves that give you more bang for your buck if you're not already doing those.
  • tgabmac
    Options

Let me rephrase:

My diet looks good. Lean meats, proteins, low carb and sugar. I never usually eat more than 1500 calories (because I'm not hungry) and I don't usually eat back my workout calories. I started off with light weights 10-12 pounds and I could feel that my muscles were working and responding, I am now at 20-25 pounds and I can't feel it at all. I do circuits, military presses, bent over rows, curls, squats, lunges, tricep extensions, deltiods, side crunches, abdominal floor work, and a few others that I don't know what they are called 4-5 times a week for 20-35 min 3-4 sets of 10-20 for each exercise. I just don't know if it is still helping or if I should try something new because I am not feeling the benefits like I once did with lighter weights. I started weight lifting a month ago. I am not following a specific program. My goal is to work on my strength for swimming and have definition. Does this help clarify. I'm awful at putting things into words. It sounds better in my head.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Let me rephrase:

My diet looks good. Lean meats, proteins, low carb and sugar. I never usually eat more than 1500 calories (because I'm not hungry) and I don't usually eat back my workout calories. I started off with light weights 10-12 pounds and I could feel that my muscles were working and responding, I am now at 20-25 pounds and I can't feel it at all. I do circuits, military presses, bent over rows, curls, squats, lunges, tricep extensions, deltiods, side crunches, abdominal floor work, and a few others that I don't know what they are called 4-5 times a week for 20-35 min 3-4 sets of 10-20 for each exercise. I just don't know if it is still helping or if I should try something new because I am not feeling the benefits like I once did with lighter weights. I started weight lifting a month ago. I am not following a specific program. My goal is to work on my strength for swimming and have definition. Does this help clarify. I'm awful at putting things into words. It sounds better in my head.

The answer still stands. As long as your form is good and you're progressing in the weights you're able to lift, you're fine. Feeling DOMS (or delayed onset muscle soreness) is not an indication of a good workout. I rarely feel DOMS, and I felt them for nearly a week after I started lifting the same amount you are. I now squat 100 lbs, DL 165, with bench and OHP at around 75lbs. I rarely, rarely feel DOMS now.

Your muscles adapt; that's the whole point of increasing weight, to keep them constantly repairing.

However, as someone said below me: following a program will be most efficient. I'd also add: when are you working certain areas of the body? 5x a week could be pushing it a bit, probably if you're just starting out. Rest is just as important as movement when it comes to lifting.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Options

Let me rephrase:

This helps!

I would find a beginner lifting program and start it. Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength are both good ones to go with. Compound lifts will work your whole body. Isolation exercises have their place, but if you are just starting, I would start with compound.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    Help me understand your shoulder problem that keeps you from benching. Has it been diagnosed? Have you spoken to your doctor about it? I have a hard time understanding what problem would limit bench press but allow millitary press and bent-over rows. I am also concerned you might not be eating enough.
  • tgabmac
    Options
    Help me understand your shoulder problem that keeps you from benching. Has it been diagnosed? Have you spoken to your doctor about it? I have a hard time understanding what problem would limit bench press but allow millitary press and bent-over rows. I am also concerned you might not be eating enough.

I have a swimming injury. I have 3 areas in my shoulder that makes it unstable so it pops out of place quite frequently. I can do free weights because its easier for me to drop it on a dime if I feel it come out of socket. I am getting surgery next summer, I need it now , but I am unable due to some financial and scholarly needs. I feel I am eating enough. I'm not usually hungry. I feel full before my allowed calories. Sometimes I just forget about food and have to force myself to eat. I get alot of protein though.
  • tgabmac
    Options
    My husband has rotator cuff issues. If he has his shoulders turned out (so that his thumbs are facing each other) his shoulder is at more risk than if they are turned in (thumbs facing the face). This means that a classic bench press or overhead press with a barbell will not work, but can be done with dumbells and the modified positioning--same for pullups with a modified grip. (rows are fine because they naturally have that position). I don't know if that's the OPs problem but it certainly sounds plausible to me.

It's like that. I can easily modify and change positions. I have 3 areas in my shoulder that makes it pop out of place. Free weights also make it easier if I have an emergency and I need to drop the weight on a dime.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    You're not wasting your time, that's for sure.

Doing supersets really does the trick for me. Pick 5 exercises in one muscle group and do them (however many reps you can do on each one) without resting in between. That's one superset. Then rest for no longer than 1.5 minutes. Then do it again, two more times.

Here is an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoIOJtz7Mwk

Another technique is to do a pyramid. Start with 12 reps, rest 3-5 seconds, then do 10, then rest, then 8, 6, and 4. That'll burn it!

Good luck! You're getting so strong!
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I would say just because you aren't feeling it doesn't mean it isn't working. But I would also say find a real program, because what you are doing isn't best suited for building strength, if that is actually what you are looking for. While being a beginner you will definitely build strenght that way, but eventually it will be more towards a cardio workout with light weights, that will give you some good definition as you drop the fat, and maybe that is what you are actually long for more than just being strong.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Feeling sore is not an indication of a good work out. Many people don't feel sore after a little bit, myself included. As long as you've got progressive loading built in to your program and you are going up in reps and/or weights fairly consistently then you are doing the right thing.
  • tgabmac
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!