New pants?

Options
So this may be a really dumb question but how do I know if I am ready to shop for new pants? If the waist band comfortably folds over? If I can pull them off my hips without unbuttoning? Things are getting really baggy but I don't want to go to the store and then be disappointed when I'm still too big for the next size down.

For reference, I'm 5'11, I've lost about 20 pounds over the past four months, and all my pants are size 20.

Replies

• Patzycakes
    Patzycakes Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Don't go into the store expecting anything. Head to the fitting room with your old size and a size under and try them both on and see how they feel.

Remember old jeans are stretched to your body. They're broken in. You won't know if you're ready unless you try em on.
  • mageepilot
    mageepilot Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I go to new ones when I can take them off without unzipping or unbuttoning them. Love to get new pants at the thrift store. I bet you will fit in a smaller size.
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    If there's an easy way to tell, I haven't found it.
    The sh*tty thing is that it's also different from brand to brand. A 16 from Lane Bryant fits me just fine, but a 16 from Guess won't make it past my butt. It's frustrating. All you can do is try stuff on :ohwell:
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    If your old trousers are too big, just go and try! My jeans got really baggy on the hips and I was hating them, but they weren't falling down or anything, but one day I just tried a smaller size, and they went on! And just because the first pair you try don't fit, don't think you haven't dropped a size! Different brands and styles are cut differently, maybe another pair in another shop might fit!
  • adockins1
    Options
    I did not want to purchase new pants at each size change... so I created what I call my "toddler pants," by using a sewing machine to add elastic to the (back) belt-line of my pants. I was down two sizes before I spent money on new clothes. But I wanted to make sure 1. I could afford it, 2. My weight loss would be permanent.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    You're making this too complicated. You should look good in your clothes. Do you look good in your pants? If so, you're set. If not, get some new pants. If you're not sure, the answer is no; ergo, get some new pants.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    A lot depends on your body shape.

I wasnt really ready for the next size down until I could pull the old ones over my hips without unbuttoning them. The waist never really got loose enough but the hips were downright baggy. (My middle is my trouble area and the last place I lose.)

It also depends on the brand and the style. There are a few store in which I am not ready for a size change, and others where I have lost 2 sizes already. Sizes are about industry standardization and should be tried on for fit. Its a guideline only. I currently have multiple pairs of the pants in the same size but they all fit differently- a few are too big but one pair is still form fitting.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You're making this too complicated. You should look good in your clothes. Do you look good in your pants? If so, you're set. If not, get some new pants. If you're not sure, the answer is no; ergo, get some new pants.

This.

And if you aren't in the mood to spend a lot of money for nice clothes while you're still losing weight, check out gently used clothing stores. I know, at least for women, there are quite a few stores that sell modern and nice clothes for a really cheap price... some even still have the tags on.
  • swsays
    swsays Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the thoughts/comments/suggestions/experiences - it's really nice to be able to ask folks who know what I'm talking about!!
  • Katz135
    Options
    go out and enjoy a shopping day. Try things on. Different brands run different sizes. If you're not ready you can still have fun . Start with your usual size and then a size down.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 10" and 20 pounds is usually not enough for a size change until I get below 18. But why not give it a shot! You might get lucky!