Nausea and multivitamins?

Options
2»

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I always get nauseous with those! I've also switched to multivitamin gummies and a separate iron supplement.
  • Filmlotus
    Filmlotus Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Many people have said that multivitamins are just expensive urine. The research on it is still pretty sketchy, especially on how much the human body can actually absorb of the synthetic isolated vitamins. Nature combined those vitamins with complex other micro and macro nutrients as well as fiber to help with the absorption, so a lab made pill isn't something humans have ingested for 99.99% of our existence. With certain supplements there could be benefits, but multi's are still something I'd research more about, especially the generic cheaper ones.

I'd stay clear of them if it is making you feel sick and just eat more nutrient dense food.

Good luck :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I tried a couple different One-A-Days, Centrum, Nature Made, a few other brands. Every time I'd end up really sick and it would last anywhere between an hour to all day.

The only multi-vitamins that work for me are the gummy ones (I take the Flinstone gummies). I'll do a slow release Iron supplement 1-2x a week, depending on my intake. I just do my best to get a lot of the nutrition from food.
  • Chellody22
    Chellody22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I take Flinstone's Complete multivitamins. They don't make me nauseous like other vitamins do.
  • bluejeansarah
    bluejeansarah Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    OP I had the same problem for a while, even when I took my multivitamin with food. One day the nausea was so bad it made me sick to my stomach! I take a multivitamin specifically for vegetarians which has higher levels of Vitamin D, B12 and iron; I personally blame the nausea on the iron!

My piece of advice: take your multivitamin with something rich in Vitamin C, as it helps the absorption of iron. I take mine with 4 oz of orange juice in the morning but to each their own. Much easier on my stomach now and I've been nausea-free since I started drinking OJ with my multis.

See:

http://www.chpcanada.ca/en/blog/does-vitamin-c-increase-iron-absorption
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I take One A Day for women's also. I find that taking them in the middle of your meal is what does the trick. So that it's got food before and after it in your stomach.

+1 .... I take mine before I eat breakfast they dont make me nauseous anymore. They used to make me feel sick so taking them half way through my meal would help a ton.... the way I've heard it is that the B vitamins are the culprit or that some other vitamin is, one that you are not deficient in so you're getting too much...

And here's some alarms going off.... I though that Orange juice (most juices) were not good to take with pills because they cancel out the effect they have.... maybe thats why there's no nausea when you take them with OJ?

Try the gummy vitamins, when i was taking prenatals the gummy ones were the only ones i could stomach.... and no gummy vites are not high in sugar at least not the ones ive seen
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I tolerate prenatals just fine, so I've just kept taking those. :)
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Haven't read down through the thread but often, with many multi-vitamins, it is the binders that they use in making the tablet that is the problem. You could switch to capsules--or liquid vitamins are even better. Depending on how well you eat, you may not need them at all. No multi in the world is going to make up for a poor diet. But, that having been said, a calorie-restricted diet is necessarily a nutrient-restricted diet and depending on your food choces, you might be missing or low on a vitamin or two (especially vitamin D which is always in short supply in northern climes). So I would get the best liquid multi, by a reputable brand, that they sell at a health food store as tiny bit of insurance against deficiencies.
  • run4itnow
    Options
    They make me sick on an empty stomach. The chewable gummies seem to be easier on my stomach with or without food.
  • drinkthe8
    drinkthe8 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ugh one a days make me so sick even the teen ones. I use either kids vitamins or prenatal vitamins. I'm not pregnant, nor have I ever been but my doctor told me to take prenatal vitamins when I got sick from womens and teen multi-vitamins. plus it makes your hair and nails grow super long and quick :)
  • jevoyager
    jevoyager Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Probably the iron, its known for upsetting stomachs. I take flintstone's with iron added (these are what my doc told me to take, since most people can tolerate them when other iron supplements do tend to bother people's stomachs). I get the store generic kind and haven't had any problems, and take one in the morning and one at night (two at once makes me nauseous). So you may want to try just one and see how you do. That way you can take separate vitamins for the other things you need, which you could probably find in gummies (I also take a vit B gummy, and a D gelcap, neither of which bother me).

And try adding foods either naturally high in iron and/or fortified with it, should be easier on your stomach. I add spinach to various things like sandwiches or salads for instance, and Special K cereals have a good amount of iron added so I try to eat it a couple times a week too.