6th month anniversary 121lbs gone

Options
I am a 27 year old male who 6 months ago weighed 425 lbs. I started MFP 6 months ago when my doctor diagnosed me with type 2 diabetes. That day he told me I would have diabetes for the rest of my life. He proceeded to inform me that "us normal people have a A1C of 5.4 or lower." This sparked a fire inside of me. Driven by anger of being stereotyped my original goal was to kick diabetes. Within 3 weeks that goal changed into weight loss. When I went back to my doctor 3 months later I was 65lbs lighter. He was astonished at the progress I made. He told me my A1C had dropped to 5.2 and I had corrected my blood pressure and cholesterol problem. A mission to prove the doctor wrong turned into a lifestyle change that I have carried with me 3 more months. Today I weigh 304lbs with plans to be under 300 before I visit with my doctor in 2 weeks. He plans to take me off of all medication (including diabetes.) In 6 months I've changed my life. There were bumps in the road and plateaus along the way. Just remember all good things come in time and nothing in life comes easy!

Replies

• smares30
    Options
    Awsome way to go
  • cdcooper321
    cdcooper321 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    INCREDIBLE!!! Keep up the amazing work.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Impressive!

I loved it when I went into my doc and had lost the weight and told her I did it without drugs. Hard work at the gym, portion control and changing my mindset ... all part of the equation.

Good job!
  • nielsonfam
    nielsonfam Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    WOW - great results! Keep it up!
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Oh how sweet that doctor's visit must have been!
  • fattynomore45
    Options
    Congrats! That's so awesome!
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • gcbma
    gcbma Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    At 25 I too, was diagnosed with type two diabetes. Placed on metformin and a 1200 calorie diet. I decided to join mpg at that time and have since lowered my A1c. I this isn't about me, just wanted to say I know its hard, and way to go!! Nothing feels better than proving those doctors wrong! Keep up the good work!
  • sillyli234
    sillyli234 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Such an awesome story. Do you do low carb? I've been doing low sugar and low carb. If not, how did you get it lowered? The last time I had my A1C checked I was 5.7 so hoping I can get it down like you did!
  • StephanieMM2013
    Options
    Absolutely amazing. Congrats on the weight loss, but more importantly not letting a "doctor's" condemnation allow you to believe you couldn't heal yourself.

It's funny how they say that about a lot of things... "no cure" "you'll be x for the rest of your life and on medication for it".

To heck with that doctor and all others that chose to remain ignorant and encourage their patients to do so. You really showed him :)
  • Doylie34
    Options
    Thanks for the words of encouragement guys! I do low carb but more portion control, calorie counting, and calorie cycling to avoid plateaus. Sillyli234, the number one way to lower your a1c is to lose the fat. Fat absorbs insulin and causes your body to not have enough of it to help with the sugar intake. If you have any questions on what I eat or want to see my diary friend me and it's open to you!
  • KristenElizabeth7
    KristenElizabeth7 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    WOW... that is all I have to say!!!! You are inspiring and a true role model of paving the way to better health on you rown :o) Congratulations and best wishes on continued success... although it doesn't sound like you need any help!!!!
  • gitnfit2
    gitnfit2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Man that is amazing and inspiring...great job, we know it is not always easy but you are proof it is worth it....
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Awesome. You've stuck with it for long enough to show that the anger that motivated you has shifted to doing it for you and your health. Good for you! Keep going and keep us posted on your progress. TFS!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!