Multi-Vitamins making me dizzy??

Options
Being that I am on a calorie restricted diet now with MFP, I make sure to take my mult-vitamins daily. I used to be on Herbalife and took their multivitmans and felt great. Recently I started taking GNC Active Multi-Vitamin and have been feeling...dizzy/woozy, just plain OUT OF IT.
The instructions say you are supposed to take 2 a day, so I have been taking one in the morning and one in the early afternoon.

Is this common? What could be causing this? Does anyone have recommendations on some great multi-vitamins that won't have this effect?

Thanks!

Replies

• bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Are you taking them on an empty stomach?
  • f1redshoes
    Options
    I was just about to ask the same thing - if I take a supplement containing zinc on an empty stomach, guaranteed about ten minutes later it's all I can do not to violently throw up.
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    How much are you restricting your calories? Do you get dizzy only after you take your vitamins?
  • AmyMalley77
    AmyMalley77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Whenever I have taken a multi vitamin on an empty stomach, or a stomach that doesn't have substantial food in it (not just coffee or other beverages, I am talking breakfast), it can make me woozy or nauseous.

Are you taking the vitamins with food in your stomach?
  • sharde8691
    sharde8691 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I only take the vitamins with food. I only feel dizzy after taking the multi-vitamins. Although, I definitely do need to eat more calories on the days I exercise, I don't think the calories are the issue.

On days that I don't take the vitamins, I don't have the random dizzy spells. I want to keep taking them to make sure I get all the nutrients I need per day.
  • henriettevanittersum
    Options
    Switch brands or stop for a while to see if that is indeed the issue. A couple days without won't do you harm.
  • lynleeg88
    lynleeg88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I was just about to ask the same thing - if I take a supplement containing zinc on an empty stomach, guaranteed about ten minutes later it's all I can do not to violently throw up.

I was wondering what it was in vitamins that make me sick!
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Also, do the multivitamins contain caffeine at all?
  • palmerdanielle
    palmerdanielle Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I was taking multi vitamins for a short while, but my doctor actually told me I shouldn't, that it's better to take specific vitamins if you're deficient but he thought in the near future there would be a lot of studies saying multi vitamins aren't very 'good ' for us. Now I have no idea where he got his information so I'm not saying you shouldn't or that he was right, but personally I don't take them and I'm fine, but I know everyone is different. Just consider whether you actually need them or if you're ok without, or if it might help to get the vitamins from their natural sources.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Did you being calorie restricting and the multis at the same time?
  • sharde8691
    Options

Looks like ginseng and green tea extract in the "performance, energy, metabolism" blend.
    I drink a cup of coffee most days as well or green tea.
  • sharde8691
    Options
    Did you being calorie restricting and the multis at the same time?

When i wasn't monitoring my calories (and getting bigger lol) I took vitamins and had the same issue. I tried the regular women's multi, energy multi and now active...same issue.
  • sharde8691
    Options
    I was taking multi vitamins for a short while, but my doctor actually told me I shouldn't, that it's better to take specific vitamins if you're deficient but he thought in the near future there would be a lot of studies saying multi vitamins aren't very 'good ' for us. Now I have no idea where he got his information so I'm not saying you shouldn't or that he was right, but personally I don't take them and I'm fine, but I know everyone is different. Just consider whether you actually need them or if you're ok without, or if it might help to get the vitamins from their natural sources.

I agree that it is much better to get my nutrients from fruits and veggies. I can get a bit paranoid that I'm not getting enough of something and feel the need to supplement.
  • sharde8691
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies!
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition makes a very good quality, tested multi that a lot of people like. You migth not have an issues with that.

Oh, and if you're having this issue with the GNC vitamins, return them to the store or call customer service. They will usually refund your money, or they might suggest a different multi.
  • Chellody22
    Chellody22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I take Flinstone's Complete because women's one a day vitamins make me nauseous.
  • sharde8691
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition makes a very good quality, tested multi that a lot of people like. You migth not have an issues with that.

Oh, and if you're having this issue with the GNC vitamins, return them to the store or call customer service. They will usually refund your money, or they might suggest a different multi.
    Thanks! I will look into them at the vitamin shoppe
  • threefancy
    threefancy Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I take Flinstone's Complete because women's one a day vitamins make me nauseous.

Same here. The regular Women's One A Day make me nauseous, and the prenatals made me break out in head to toe hives both times I tried them.
  • AmyMalley77
    AmyMalley77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Looks like ginseng and green tea extract in the "performance, energy, metabolism" blend.
    I drink a cup of coffee most days as well or green tea.

There you go...it's probably because they contain caffeine and if you are taking them with more caffeine, it could cause jitters.
  • robinmmurphy3
    robinmmurphy3 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I cannot take the hard vitamin pills like One A Day, they ALWAYS make me nauseous. I went to Super Supplements and got a multi vitamin that is capsule form, so the contents are a powder and I can take them just fine, with or without food, no nauseau. I have switched all of my supplements to either a capsule with power filling or an oil based gel cap (like the Vitamin D gel caps) and I have no nausea at all. Good luck to you!