How Many Calories / Day?

Options
I'm sure this has been answered before, but looking for guidance on how many calories I should be having a day. the 1200 MFP calculates seems low and I've read that I should be eating more than that. I am F, 32, 154lbs. I have a fitbit to track my exercise and plan to eat back those calories as needed. Should I put the lowest level of fitness when I calculate because I am using fitbit and adding those in throughout the day? Thanks for your help!

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have a fitbit too so I set my settings to sedentary and if you sync your accounts then fitbit will give you an adjustment in the cardio section of your diary when you are more active than that. You can friend me and check out my diary if you want to see what it looks like.

You were probably recommended 1200 calories because you selected to lose 2 lbs per week. I don't know what you goal weight is but I am guessing you are not super far from it; you should probably think about changing it to 1lb per week so you do not have to create such a large deficit. Something to think about when deciding your calorie goals is your BMR, which is a basal metabolic rate = the amount of calories it takes to run your body on a daily basis just to keep it alive. If you go to this website it can calculate that out for you http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ Ideally you want to eat more than your BMR but less than the total energy you use every day. Unfortunately when you are smaller to begin with that gap gets smaller so you have to lose a little slower to still work within that window; that where exercise comes in and helps you create a greater deficit.

Hope that made sense and was helpful, let me know if you have any questions
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Figure out your BMR (don't go below it) & TDEE (-20%) and then you have your answer.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    i went and had my BMR tested. for 80 bucks they did that, the BF% and the whole shebang. that way it took the guess work out.

i then gave MFP that information and started from there.
  • niknak14
    Options
    ok so I'm even more confused now, I calculated my BMR and it is 1550 but my calories per day are 1440, if I'm not supposed to eat below my BMR why would it calculate the calories to 1440? Activity level sedentary
  • huffnagel65
    huffnagel65 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on being confused...just started here and I lost 35 pounds with Weight Watchers but now I need something new. So, when I use MFP calorie structure I only get 1350 calories a day, this is to lose 1 pound a week and mainly sedentary lifestyle. But all the talk about TDEE 20% I went to the scooby site and got my numbers. They tell me to eat 1691 calories daily to lose. maybe someone can explain the methods a tad more for me...Thanks!
  • rlp1975
    rlp1975 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I opted for the pound a week, I also use the fitbit! LOVE IT!. Each day is different. My base calories are 1360 but I end up between 1750 - 2300 on any given day based on activity. Makes life so much easier! Add me if you wish... my diary is open!
  • niknak14
    Options
    I opted for the 1.5lbs a week Ithink but if you do the exercise it subtracts it and then you have to eat them back which is fine but I don't see how you are supposed to eat over the number of calories they give you and lose weight? Esp if it is less than you BMR to begin with, do you just eat over every day and see what happens? If that's the case what's the point of the base calories and then the subtraction of the exercise?
  • cpusmc
    cpusmc Posts: 122
    Options
    TaraMarie - what is your height, assuming you are 5'3', my guess, with bodyweight you posted and age, you rough BMR calculates out at 1470, if you were lying in bed all day and wanted to stay static. Since that is not reality, I hope, you figure that moving around all day even in a sedentary lifestyle will likely burn 5% more calories, but I typically use BMR as my starting point. To lose weight safely or gain weight safely with goal of keeping it off/or on, depending on your goal, shoot for 1lb/week. Start by decreasing or increasing BMR by 15% either way depending on goal. Everyone is different and all bodies react differently to diet/exercise etc. so the best thing you can do is stay diligent, ck your weight and measurements 1 time/week, give yourself 30 days before changing up or down n calories so body can adjust. If you dont see changes, add or subtract 5%/week until you see the gains/losses you are seeking. Drink lots of water. Good luck...
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I opted for the 1.5lbs a week Ithink but if you do the exercise it subtracts it and then you have to eat them back which is fine but I don't see how you are supposed to eat over the number of calories they give you and lose weight? Esp if it is less than you BMR to begin with, do you just eat over every day and see what happens? If that's the case what's the point of the base calories and then the subtraction of the exercise?

If you exercise, then MFP will add calories for you to eat. So say you are given 1400 calories to eat per day to lose 1.5 pounds per week. If you workout and burn 250 calories and log it in to MFP, then your calorie goal will change to 1650 for that day. They are assuming that people are not going to workout, so the calorie amount they give you is based on trying to lose 1.5 lb per week doing nothing.
  • niknak14
    Options
    ok, so it just doesn't change the number it just gives you the ability to eat 250 more calories but adding those back so total you will be eating your 1400 +250 for a total of 1650 for that day, but then where does the BMR come in, what if you don't work out that day so you're at your 1400 you would be eating under your BMR which is 1550
  • lwrwtw
    lwrwtw Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    mine was 1200 also, and it seems really low!~ I'm not sure how to do that!
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    For goodness sake, don't do 1200!!!
  • rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    THERE IS NO CALCULATOR OR APP THAT WILL TELL YOU EXACTLY HOW MUCH TO EAT A DAY!

The only thing that will teach you how much to eat a day is your self and your body through trial and error and time. Just take the number you get from any of these calculators and see where you're at in a week or so. If you're not where you need to be, increase or lower your calories depending on your goal. Eventually, after about a month or so of experimenting, you will be able to see how your body reacts to certain amounts of calories and certain amounts of food. It's the longest but the best way to truly know what your body needs to gain/lose weight.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Try this site when calculating your calories...

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

You will need the tools on there to calculate ytur body fat, then your BMR and TDEE. If you eat above your BMR and Slightly below your TDEE (-10%, -155, -20%, depending on your goal), you should lose weight.

Of course, some exercise is recommended too :)
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    sorry for the typo...TDEE (-10%, -15%, -20%, depending on your goal)...
  • jennkess
    Options
    you don't want to eat too little. and everyone's too little is different. 1200 is the most popular # only because that is the lowest MFP will calculate.

i am a female 39yrs old and 5' 3" i started just under 200lbs. via the outside web calculator my RMR ( what i need if i am in a coma is just under 1600 calories. my TDEE with light exercised 1-3 days a week is 2221. I went for a safe approach and set my MFP goal as 1800 per day. some day's I am under, on days i exercise heavy i am a little over ... but I've never went under 1600.

now as you log and you "complete" your daily food entry ignore what MFP says, they have said in 5 weeks i'd be heavier or just slight under what i started. yet i am averaging one pound lost per week!

as i drop in weight i will re-calculate as my min. required calories will drop as well.

good luck and be patient you will find your way
  • niknak14
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help:smile:
  • stamptacular
    Options
    Ok, so I am in my second week and am suppose to eat 1200 calories/day. I am very comfortable doing that and when I exercise on an incline trainer I burn approximately, 950 calories/hour. Am I suppose to add those back in to my 1200? I am exercising 3-4 times/week. Also, having gone from not counting any calories to 1200 only per day, when can I expect to begin losing the approximate 2lbs /week? Any insight from anyone who has experience would be great!! Thank You