Affordable Protien options

Options
I really want to do IIFYM but I'm having a hard time finding a cheap and healthy protein source. I have 3 kids and only my husband works so we are on a very tight budget.

any suggestions?

Replies

• bstevens1021
    Options
    Beans/lentils/etc. You can get great big bags of dried beans and lentils for just a few bucks. Soak 'em overnight and then cook them the next day. You can add them into things as supplements, or you can just eat them by themselves.

Granted, I love them both and can eat them all the time without problem, while some people don't care for them much. But that would be my suggestion.
  • heydanno
    Options
    black beans usually go for a dollar and have about 25 grams of protein :)
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Eggs are a cheaper source of protein and healthy fat. There is a lot you can do with them for variety too. Scrambles, quiches, frittatas, sandwiches etc. I eat them every day!
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I would find some inspiration from your username...
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    If going for a vegetable source of protein, I believe quinoa and soy are complete proteins whereas other plant sources tend to be missing a few of the essential amino acids.

Simple plant combinations such as legumes and wheat (good old beans on toast) can make up complete proteins

Cottage cheese is also cheap option, as is tinned fish
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    On a dollars-per-gram-of-protein basis, eggs are probably the cheapest. A lot of extra calories in there, plus it's easy to get totally sick of eggs.

Protein powder is cheaper than almost anything else. It seems expensive when you have to spend $45 on a 5-lb jug, but that jug contains a LOT of protein. Also look for chicken that's on sale.
  • SelfLoveMamma
    Options
    thank you all for the great advice!

ChrisM, I'm glad you mentioned quinoa! I would like to lean toward plant based when possible,

I am also planning to buy protein powder. suggestions?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    be careful with the suggestions of nuts and beans...while they can pack good protein, they also pack plenty of carbs (just in case thats something you track or limit).

i find i get the most bang for my buck out of body fortress powder, any and all chicken (thighs, breasts, bone in or boneless), pork, and beef. canned meats are good too (cheap and last forever)...tuna, chicken, salmon. fish is great but might be over your budget (maybe try previously frozen?)

when boneless chicken hits 1.99/lb here i usually stock up a bit.

i pay $15 for a 2lb tub of body fortress - 30gr per scoop.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

ChrisM, I'm glad you mentioned quinoa! I would like to lean toward plant based when possible,

Optimum Nutrition. Stick to normal flavors like vanilla and strawberry. I like Syntrax strawberry too.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Can't afford protein.
    Thanks Obama!
  • SelfLoveMamma
    Options
    be careful with the suggestions of nuts and beans...while they can pack good protein, they also pack plenty of carbs (just in case thats something you track or limit).

i find i get the most bang for my buck out of body fortress powder, any and all chicken (thighs, breasts, bone in or boneless), pork, and beef. canned meats are good too (cheap and last forever)...tuna, chicken, salmon. fish is great but might be over your budget (maybe try previously frozen?)

when boneless chicken hits 1.99/lb here i usually stock up a bit.

i pay $15 for a 2lb tub of body fortress - 30gr per scoop.

Yes! I started playing with my food diary to see what beans contained and they have a bit too many carbs for what I want to accomplish. I will try some because they are cheap but I will be extra cautious!
  • SelfLoveMamma
    Options

Optimum Nutrition. Stick to normal flavors like vanilla and strawberry. I like Syntrax strawberry too.

I will check those out.

Thanks for taking time to reply.
  • SelfLoveMamma
    Options
    Can't afford protein.
    Thanks Obama!

guurrrrrl, don't get me started on that one!

LOL