Binging Solutions?

Options
This is for my exercise and fitness partner who isnt on myfitnesspal. Were both at the same weight and we have the same goals and exercise schedules so the whole process is a lot easier. But recently, shes been eating all good and clean till about 5pm and its all downhill from there. She asked me to ask here, what she should do, because this has been going on for a few weeks now. Not to mention, its making me feel more inclined to cheating way too often and snacking on crappy food and everything I wasnt doing.. I feel its making me more susceptible as well. So what should she do? And me! haha :/

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Eat more calories during the day so you're not as hungry at night.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Eating "clean and good" can be too restrictive for many people, which can lead to overdoing it later.
    It's also not necessary for weight loss.

Alternatively, your friend might not be eating enough. Do you know their average caloric intake?

Tell your friend to just count their calories and make sure they're in a healthy and not too severe caloric deficit. They will lose weight.
  • 1debbie123
    1debbie123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would prepare clean eating snacks on sunday for the week and don't let temptation come in the house ...but if it does and it has for me as well, it happens so maybe have one or two unclean snacks once or twice a week or have a cheat day/night .. hot air popcorn is only 80 cal per 3 cups and you can sprinkle spices etc whatever you like on it as long as you log it. (one popcorn or so and chew chew chew as it will last longer and by that time your hunger or graze period is over) Good luck.:smile:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Tell them...
    1) No such thing as bad food.
    2) It's about moderation not deprivation.
    3) It should be a lifestyle change not a "just until I'm this weight change". So you have to make decisions/choices and make it fit into how you want to live the rest of your life. So you can keep it off.

Those 3 things may help.

I have lost weight by eating what I want, when I want. I work hard for it. I don't beat myself up if I have ice cream or beer. I make it fit into my day. If I go over, it's okay. Just be more careful the next day.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Stop labelling individual foods as "clean", "dirty", "good", "bad", "healthy", "unhealthy", "crappy", "cheating" etc. Look at the overall diet. Eat for nutrition; if she is really concerned with a healthy diet, perhaps she could aim to hit certain targets for eg. protein, fibre, portions of vegetables, micronutrients etc. Also, eat for enjoyment. Don't cut out certain foods that are perceived as unhealthy or dirty or whatever. Cutting out foods you enjoy (assuming there's no medical reason to do so) is a good way to cause a binge. Cutting calories too much can do the same. Even the act of dieting itself, even just with a small calorie deficit, can cause bingeing in some people.

If she's doing anything to compensate or make up for binges, whether the same day or next day, she needs to stop, because that will keep feeding the cycle. That includes unscheduled workouts with the intention of cancelling out excess calories consumed.

Regarding the timing, maybe she just enjoys eating more in the evening. If that's the case, then she can eat lighter during the day and more in the evening. If it's planned that way, then she should feel less inclined to binge when 5pm comes around.
  • rebam33
    rebam33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also have a huge problem with doing well all day and then just shoving everything in my face in the evening.

As others have said, eating more calories earlier in the day helps me. If I eat a bigger lunch and breakfast, I'm not ravenous in the evening. I also find that if I'm just sitting around in the evening I want to eat more (out of boredom, not hunger). I've started drinking a glass of water with everything I eat now, it makes the food last longer because I drink as I eat while also making me feel much more satisfied.

Usually I don't want to log my late night binges, but since I have started forcing myself to log them (who am I kidding but myself) they tend to happen less often.
  • atcross
    atcross Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. First of all I try to keep all of the foods I find most tempting out of the house, which doesn't always work because I'm married to a very fit man who doesn't really have to diet. Second, I find I'm most likely to binge when I'm reading or watching TV and have nothing else to do with my hands. So I've taken up crocheting and knitting while I relax. I can't eat while crocheting so it works like a charm. Plus, I've finished one huge afghan for my couch and am starting on a smaller throw.