IIFYM-Eating back exercise calories

Options
Hi all,

I've been losing weight and eating healthy since July 2013 so I'm not new to the whole idea. I have hit a plateau for the last few months so I recently started doing IIFYM instead. Both ways I eat I am at a specific calorie intake but I feel I will have better luck losing weight if I hit my macros right instead of just eating whatever but hitting my calories.

My question is: I've heard with IIFYM you don't eat back any calories you burn through exercise. You always eat the same grams of macros no matter what you burn. So if I eat all my macros properly then go and burn 300 calories at the gym I'm in a 300 calorie deficit but I've already hit my macros. Should I be eating more or not? Will 1300 net calories but hitting my macros be ok?

Here are some of my stats:
Height: 167cm (5 foot 5 roughly)
Weight: 65kg (143pounds) (was 74kg)
Daily Calories: 1600
Macros 35/35/30 c,p,f

Also any help with meal ideas or meal plans for 1600 calories on IIFYM would be great. I'm currently just planning ahead my meals so I hit my targets right.

Replies

• SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I believe the actual IIFYM plan calculates your level of activity, including workouts into your your calorie goal. Instead of eating more on excercise days and less on rest days you just eat average every day.

If you use an IIFYM calculator and then eat back your calories MFP style you'll be in effect eating them back twice.
  • tasha_1306
    tasha_1306 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I used the IIFYM calculator on http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ and it said with light exercise (3 days a week) my BMR is 1418 and my TDEE is 1949 and then I used Suggested weight loss and got 1657 (I used the custom calories of 1600 to make it easier and got my macros off that) It seems no matter whether i enter 3 or 5 days of exercise it doesn't change my more then 50 calories...My job is a desk job so not sure if that affects anything.

So basically I should just do exercise and not put it in mfp? I like to put it in there to remember what I've been doing but I do stick to my original macros grams not the ones it gives you when it adds exercise on.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I believe the actual IIFYM plan calculates your level of activity, including workouts into your your calorie goal. Instead of eating more on excercise days and less on rest days you just eat average every day.

If you use an IIFYM calculator and then eat back your calories MFP style you'll be in effect eating them back twice.

As long as you chose your activity level correctly, it works like this. If you used sedentary, then you would have to eat your exercise cals back. And I've found with IIFYM, you need to treat your protein and fat goals as minimums, then get all your servings of fruit, veg and grains (because they do a body good), and then you can enjoy whatever good-for-the-soul foods you want up to your calorie goal. There have been days where I'm at my protein and fat goals and over on carbs, but still under calories. And I've also done IIFYM with just hitting calories and it doesn't work as well as doing it with hitting your macro goals first.

Edit: I log my exercise cals on here as 1 calorie burned, just so I have a record of what I've done activity-wise.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I used the IIFYM calculator on http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ and it said with light exercise (3 days a week) my BMR is 1418 and my TDEE is 1949 and then I used Suggested weight loss and got 1657 (I used the custom calories of 1600 to make it easier and got my macros off that) It seems no matter whether i enter 3 or 5 days of exercise it doesn't change my more then 50 calories...My job is a desk job so not sure if that affects anything.

So basically I should just do exercise and not put it in mfp? I like to put it in there to remember what I've been doing but I do stick to my original macros grams not the ones it gives you when it adds exercise on.

How much are you looking to lose? The closer you are to goal, the closer you should be eating to your TDEE.
  • tasha_1306
    Options
    I have a desk job but I aim to workout anywhere between 4-6 days a week burning around 400-600 calories a time. Should i put it as sedentary and then on days I exercise eat back the calories? Or leave it as around 4 days a week in the calculator?

I'm having no trouble eating my Carbs and Protein amounts. Fats I'm lower on (Will have to work that up a bit). I don't really have any space for treats once I eat my normal food (my carbs and protein macros are around 140-150grams which isn't a lot for carbs.
    I'm making sure i hit my goals within 5grams and not worrying about exactly hitting the calories.
  • tasha_1306
    Options
    I'm only looking to lose like another 5kg. I'd like to be 60kg which for my height (I'm pretty short) would be good. I would like to gain muscle too so I know i'm going to weigh more eventually when i gain muscle. But first i'm trying to lose the fat. I know you can't really lose fat and gain muscle too well at the same time.
  • BluesGuitar
    Options
    IIFYM takes into account your activity level.

So if 1,600 is your calorie requirements to maintain your current weight, for example, that number represents your Maintenance Calorie Level, and IIFYM just states what your macronutrients should be within the calorie requirements for your existing activity level.

If all of a sudden you decided to add an additional one hour of cardio every day to your existing routine and burned an extra 200 calories per day, IIFYM would require you to add additional 200 calories IF your desire was to maintain your weight and just were just trying to recomposition (lose fat, add muscle, but retain your weight). However, if your intent was to LOSE weight, then under IIFYM you would just stay at your existing calories and operate under a calorie deficit until you got to the weight you wanted.

I use IIFYM but I don't target based on a % of calories. I typically target my protein at certain grams per day, fat at certain grams per day, and fill the remainder with carbs.

Typically protein is the hardest macro to reach for folks: ideas on protein outside of animal protein are oatmeal, lentils, beans. Also if you are increasing your protein significantly from what you are used to, make sure to track that you are getting enough fiber in so you have healthy digestive movement... Myfitnesspal can track that for you.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is not a calorie #.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym

Read that. ^
  • tasha_1306
    Options
    As i said I'm not trying to specifically hit my calorie limit. I am aiming for the macros intakes not the calorie intake. I just based 1600 calories off the suggest weight loss amount for my weight/height/age which was 1657.
  • tasha_1306
    Options
    I use IIFYM but I don't target based on a % of calories. I typically target my protein at certain grams per day, fat at certain grams per day, and fill the remainder with carbs.

The percentages are based off the grams. When you look at the Nutrition view and you get that pie chart that's what i mean by percentages. I am targeting at particular grams each day. At the moment my grams are 140c, 53f, 140p. Which does equal 35/30/35. I was going to try this for a bit and then adjust it if i needed too.
  • DancingOnCloud9
    DancingOnCloud9 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Since my workout schedule can easily get derailed because of my work/school schedule, its more difficult to calculate an average. I use my TDEE at the lowest activity level, (I also have a desk job). On the days that I workout, I'll eat back about 1/2 or all of my workout calories. This way, I can still log both consumed and burned calories and I don't have to worry about a week where I can't get to the gym.

Also note -I'm new to this method and I've only just rejoined since this January. It seems to be doing what it's suppose to though, I lost 5lbs in January and 2.5 inches around waist and hips each. Your more towards the end of your goal it looks like and I've heard that it takes longer as you get closer to your goal.
  • tasha_1306
    Options
    Since my workout schedule can easily get derailed because of my work/school schedule, its more difficult to calculate an average. I use my TDEE at the lowest activity level, (I also have a desk job). On the days that I workout, I'll eat back about 1/2 or all of my workout calories. This way, I can still log both consumed and burned calories and I don't have to worry about a week where I can't get to the gym.

If i look at my TDEE on sedentary it's 1701. So eating 1600 is close to that i guess. Maybe i just try doing this way for a good few weeks then see what happens. I just don't want to be eating too little and doing damage or something.