Alcohol and weightloss

Options
I'm a college student and go to several parties.. I also attend bars. I was wondering how alcohol affects my weight loss goals.

Replies

• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Alcohol calories that take you out of being in a deficit will make you gain weight just like any other food. When I do drink, I rarely have more than 2 glasses of wine.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Something about stopping/hindering/altering fat metabolism.
    The 2am drive-thru/street vendor/etc can be an issue too..
  • absinthia70
    absinthia70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stress it as long as you budget your calories for it and are still getting enough nutrition from real food.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    just drink smarter-- so I have an alcoholic drink and then two waters, another drink, etc. It makes me feel fuller so I dont drink as much. I still have a good time

and I drink more drinks that have less calories now =)
    and like someone said-- watch the eating late at night
  • Amiwil
    Amiwil Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I seem to gain when I drink....hence my 3 lb gain from Super Bowl Sunday...sigh
  • manderz_46
    manderz_46 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Today I found a great article on this. Here is the link: http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2013/10/cocktail-science-do-alcohol-calories-count-digesting-spirits.html#.UvPZzl-9RkE.email

I was on WeightWatchers a few years back in my early 20s and drank on a very regular basis. Whenever I drank any kind of liquor (usually Bacardi) with diet soda I didn't count or track a single one and I still lost all of my weight. I did count beer because it is made with some sugar, which we metabolize differently than the ingredients in hard alcohol (website explains this). If I had a liquor mixed with OJ, tomato juice, margarita mix, etc. I just counted the calories in the OJ, tomato juice, margaraita mix, etc. and not the liquor.

I'm not saying what I did was right, and I'm not saying drinking hard alcohol is the answer - maybe lower calorie beer would be the answer...? Anyway, I just thought I'd share since I know what worked for me in the past.

The website for that article will help explain and help you decide what you think about it.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I'm a college student and go to several parties.. I also attend bars. I was wondering how alcohol affects my weight loss goals.

Alcohol is metabolized in the liver and converted to acetate. Acetate is pure energy, so if it's there, your body will shun that stack of 2am buttered pancakes and syrup at IHOP because it doesn't need no stinkin' carbs. It has acetate, and it loves how easy it is to burn acetate. Why bother breaking down butter fats, fructose, sucrose or complex carbohydrates when there's liquid petroleum flowing through your veins? Your body is so not about anything complex when there's acetate around.

Very, very little alcohol gets stored as fat, but nothing else in your system gets burned as long as its in still in you. Basically, alcohol shuts down the fat burning process.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    pretty drastically if you're a typical college binge drinker
  • LaurenDanielle014
    LaurenDanielle014 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Something about stopping/hindering/altering fat metabolism.
    The 2am drive-thru/street vendor/etc can be an issue too..

YES