Is Anyone Else TERRIFIED This Won't Work??

Options
I know how the science works. I know if I work out and eat well, I'll lose weight - I've done this before to some extent. But... I can't help but be scared that it won't work. I'm afraid 6 months from now I'll have put in all of this work and self-discipline, and I'll still look the same. I can't shake it, I know that's not how it works, but I just have this awful anxiety of getting nothing in the end...

Replies

• toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Even if by some magic way it doesn't work you will have learned and grown as a person.
    You can make adjustments and it will work!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Honestly, what has not paying attention to your diet and exercise done for you?

This is the easiest thing to do. There is nothing difficult about entering food into your diary and by doing this you learn. Learning in life is good. In 6 months if you reach your goal are you going to quit eating properly and stop working out? If you are, then why bother now? If you are ready to make permanent changes this is a cake walk. Come in with a positive attitude and you will achieve your goal(s).
  • HealthfullyOffensive
    Options
    My weight actually stems from disease, not a lack of healthy choices/exercise. Now that I can manage my illness, my efforts can finally come to fruition... and I think you've misinterpreted what I meant.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    My weight actually stems from disease, not a lack of healthy choices/exercise. Now that I can manage my illness, my efforts can finally come to fruition... and I think you've misinterpreted what I meant.

In that case, I apologize for being blunt - but really this is easy to do. You can do this. In a short time it will become second nature and you will wonder why you were afraid in the first place.
  • HealthfullyOffensive
    Options
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm just scared to do all of this, then not see a change. It's easy already to log food and exercise because I've been keeping track of all that for a while now - like I said, I simply couldn't achieve anything because I had a disease that made it almost impossible for me to lose weight. Maybe that's where my fear comes from; I've tried so hard in the past with no results, and even though I've rectified the problem, I'm still terrified it won't work...
  • Val_67
    Val_67 Posts: 23
    Options
    I know how the science works. I know if I work out and eat well, I'll lose weight - I've done this before to some extent. But... I can't help but be scared that it won't work. I'm afraid 6 months from now I'll have put in all of this work and self-discipline, and I'll still look the same. I can't shake it, I know that's not how it works, but I just have this awful anxiety of getting nothing in the end...

You are definitely not alone. I have the same fear, and I don't even have any specific medical condition that could hinder my weight loss. It's just that for whatever reasons I feel like I can never imagine myself ever being as small as I used to be, but at least for now I refuse to stop trying. Not necessarily trying to lose weight, even though that obviously is a huge goal for me, but mainly trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I have 2 little amazing boys who I want to be healthy for and who I want to set good examples for, so I feel like it's definitely a parental duty to at least keep trying to get a grip on my health. That's what pushes me.

Also, looking at all the before/ after pictures of everybody on this site has really given me encouragement. I'm sure we are just selling ourselves short, and we'll get over that when we see what we're capable of doing. :)
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I think that, if you had the will and fortitude to work through your medical problems, it should be easy to stay within your calories and macros, as well as faithfully logging. If you do, it WILL work. Even if there is no radical change as fast as you want it, eating healthy and exercising will have its own benefits.
    I have a fear that If I don’t do this, I’ll die of a heart attack, stroke or diabetes. Good luck to you.