Been exercising and nothing!

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me, I'm at a loss of what to do. I've been exercising since November and I'm still at 130. I really don't see any change in body either, I think I'm eating healthier. I do high protein/fiber low carbs. I'm trying to get lean and reach my goal weight of 120, I'm 5"4.
I've kicked up my exercising to 4 times a week and am eating about 800 calories a day, does this calorie intake sound right?

Replies

• dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    The calorie intake sounds very low to me. I'm 5'2, 128 and I exercise about 4 to 5 times per week and eat between 1300 - 1800 calories, depending on how hard I worked out.
  • toniaemilys
    toniaemilys Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Your calorie intake seems way too low. Especially with so little to loose and while you are exercising 4 days a week. What did MFP set for your goal intake?
  • saraM926
    saraM926 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Eat more than 800! You should eat a minimum of 1200... and no less!
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    NO, you are starving yourself. I'm 5'4" and weight 132 trying to get to 120 and I eat 1200 calories a day. If I work out (which I do almost everyday) then I eat the calories I burned. I was 145 and it took me over 200 days to get down to that weight. Give it time if you eat the calories your body needs and work out you should see results.

Don't eat so few calories, your body is starving so it will store as much fat as possible since you are not providing enough nutrients. You are doing more harm then good by eating so little.

Good luck!!
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    If you aren't logging your calories, then you probably don't have any idea how much you're eating. You are most likely eating much more than you think. Get a scale and start weighing everything, no matter how healthy it is. Log your calories. 800 calories is not a good number to shoot for. 1200 is the minimum for an adult woman. You may need even more than that depending on your height, weight, and activity level.

Good luck with your journey!
  • mtlarios64
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I've been going about this all wrong. I upped my goal to 1200 calories per day. However I didn't know that your supposed to eat back (healthy of course) the calories lost during exercise but I'm confused, how does that work towards weight loss?
  • mtlarios64
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I've been going about this all wrong. I upped my goal to 1200 calories per day. However I didn't know that your supposed to eat back (healthy of course) the calories lost during exercise but I'm confused, how does that work towards weight loss?
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough food! If you are exercising and only eating 800 calories where do you think your body is getting fuel from!??! You need to eat no less than 1200 calories!!
  • mtlarios64
    Options
    Ok that sounds better but tough, I normally don't eat too much. I didn't understand the concept behind eating back the calories. I'm def not smart when it comes to anything gym related. Lol. Any protein shakes you recommended that won't bulk me up?
  • bobby790
    Options
    Calories are way to low, so whenever you eat. your body is going to hold on to any food it can get, and turn it into fat.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You would need to eat back exercise calories if you're burning so many that your net calories ends up being lower than your BMR. Your BMR (basil metabolic rate) is what your body burns just by functioning. If you sat around and did absolutely nothing all day long, you would most likely need at least 1200 calories just for your organs to do what they do. If you don't give your body what it needs, it won't be long before you start having problems. I'll leave a link to Scooby's Workshop. I found that to be more helpful than anything else. Also, do a search of the forums for "A guide to get you started on your path to sexypants." I believe that's the name of it.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

We always tend to think that we eat and eat and eat all day, and then exercise away the extra calories.
    Example: Daily goal of 1600 calories. Overeat to 2000 calories. Exercise away 400 calories. Net intake for the day 1600 calories.

MFP sets it up backward, sort of. It subtracts your exercise calories, and then you get to eat back up to a certain goal.
    Example: Daily goal of 1600 calories. Exercise away 400 calories (leaves you at -400). Eat 2000. Net intake for the day 1600.

MFP has already set your daily goal with a deficit built in, so that even without exercise if you eat right at that number each day you are set to lose weight.
  • mtlarios64
    Options
    Thanks. That website is extremely helpful.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I lose easily at 1,750, although I also lift weights, so that helps. I would try 1,500, like the other poster suggested. Then see how that goes. You probably could eat more, but you should probably increase calories slowly, since your metabolism is probably slowed quite a bit, from eating so little. Good luck! :happy: :drinker:
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    The most likely answer here is that you're eating much more than you think you are. If you were really eating 800 calories and exercising, while that's not healthy, you would lose weight.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    800 cals is too low and your body will hold on to any extra weight untii you up the calories so that you are giving your body what it needs. If you use MFP to set your goal weight, log your food carefully and your exercise then this should help. If you have set MFP to your goal weight then you should eat your calories back. Send me a message if you would like help doing this.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me, I'm at a loss of what to do. I've been exercising since November and I'm still at 130. I really don't see any change in body either, I think I'm eating healthier. I do high protein/fiber low carbs. I'm trying to get lean and reach my goal weight of 120, I'm 5"4.
    I've kicked up my exercising to 4 times a week and am eating about 800 calories a day, does this calorie intake sound right?

OK, a little bit of back to basics.

Losing weight is a fairly simple situation of burning more energy than you consume. You don't have much to lose, and given your complementary objective of reducing bodyfat percentage you need to think as much about the quality of both food and exercise as calorie deficit. Notwithstanding that there is no fitness/ weight loss reason to go for a high protein/ low carb diet unless you have an underlying health reason. Lots of low carb zealots around here but you need to fuel your training so that should be your priority.

I would suggest that you set yourself a fairly modest rate of loss, but think quite hard about your training. You'll benefit most from a combination of cardio dominant sessions and resistance training sessions. Subject to how experienced a trainer you are there are a range of options.

Cardio, or CV, training burns calories up and improves your heart performance. It'll affect your resting heart rate, which is a good indicator of overall health. Take your HR when you wake, and track it. Personally I run, cycle and row and at the moment I'm doing 5-7 CV sessions per week, generally between 8 and 12 Km run.

Resistance training will improve your strength and muscular endurance, your priority on this defines what type of workout you do. If you're not already doing this kind of thing then start just with bodyweight sessions; press ups, sit ups, dips, pull ups and the like. Google "you are your own gym" to give you some ideas. Resistance training is important for your general condition and it's the main thing that will retain lean muscle while you lose weight, so improving your bodyfat percentage. I do two or three bodyweight sessions per week, as my priority is running performance I don't do much more than that.

In 10 months I've reduced my bodyfat percentage by 7% mainly through CV work, so whilst resistance training will probably lead to a faster rate of improvement it's not the only contributor.

Going back to your calorie intake - As you reduce your intake your body will lose mass from fat stores, muscles and other organs. You need a minimum intake to avoid damage to your system, and the generally accepted minimum for women is 1200cals per day. There is some movement around that but most places stick with that as a net minimum, so eat back your expenditure to avoid going below there.

By working everything in combination, and being smart about your goals, then you should see success.

From a personal perspective I measure success through sports performance rather than weight. I'm behind target on weight loss, but my resting heart rate is significantly reduced, bodyfat percentage is lower and my running performance has improved dramatically in ten months. My clothes fit me a lot better, so I feel generally more comfortable with myself.

All the best.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    No one stops losing weight because they're eating too little.

You are eating way way more than 800 calories a day. You have tons of days missing from your food log. Fact is you're eating too much.