protein drinks

Options
Can someone please recommend a really good tasting protein drink that mixes easily, tastes good (especially mixed with water) is low in carbs, and low in price?? I really need the extra protein, but I hesitate to buy another jar of "stuff" that I will have to throw away! Thanks!

Replies

• littlebird
    Options
    Can someone please recommend a really good tasting protein drink that mixes easily, tastes good (especially mixed with water) is low in carbs, and low in price?? I really need the extra protein, but I hesitate to buy another jar of "stuff" that I will have to throw away! Thanks!
  • Gigglesgirl235
    Options
    I buy Muscle Milk. I'm in love with the Mocha Latte, Chocolate PeanutButter, Vanilla, and Cookies and Cream!!
  • charles9029
    Options
    All protien is not going to taste the best...But I go with GNC's whey protien. If you can't get down the water try throwing it in your blender with some fruit and juice that always works. Milk also works good but for those days you just want the protien and water you will have to just get it down as quickly as possible. I know friends who drink muscle milk but they usaully use it as a weigh to gain weight.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I like the EAS Advantedge drinks. I don't think they are that expensive. I like the cafe caramel and the dark chocolate ones. :flowerforyou: I recently bought a can of Designer whey protein in french vanilla. I have not used it yet. Any ideas out there??? :flowerforyou:
  • Dmprbst
    Dmprbst Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    All protien is not going to taste the best...But I go with GNC's whey protien. If you can't get down the water try throwing it in your blender with some fruit and juice that always works. Milk also works good but for those days you just want the protien and water you will have to just get it down as quickly as possible. I know friends who drink muscle milk but they usaully use it as a weigh to gain weight.
    This is what I use as well GNC whey Protein (strawberry) Mixes well with Rice Milk not sure if it mixes well with others. But they do have the protein shakers (not sure what they call those things) but it helps get all the clunks out.
  • Thrust
    Thrust Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    At Large Nutrition's Nitrean is a good tasting protein powder and is a great blend (whey proteins, egg proteins, casein protein).

ON Gold Standard is probably the #1 protein on the market, but I find it too sweet.

Dymatize Elite (also Elite 12 hour) is REALLY great tasting protein and comes in a lot of different flavor options (Mocha, butter toffee, chocolate, choc. fudge brownie)

Oddly, I find Bodytech's (Vitamin Shop brand) Pro-24 (make sure you get the Pro-24) to be a great value. It's primary ingredient is whey isolate (instead of the cheaper and inferior whey concentrate). It tastes great, too.
  • dianeparsons
    Options
    :drinker: I'm with Gigglegirl (of course, she's my daughter). Muscle Milk has been a God send. It's easy, pretty reasonably priced, great tasting, nutritional numbers are good, and is great with skim milk or water. A lot of great flavors too. You won't be sorry.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    At Large Nutrition's Nitrean is a good tasting protein powder and is a great blend (whey proteins, egg proteins, casein protein).

ON Gold Standard is probably the #1 protein on the market, but I find it too sweet.

Dymatize Elite (also Elite 12 hour) is REALLY great tasting protein and comes in a lot of different flavor options (Mocha, butter toffee, chocolate, choc. fudge brownie)

Oddly, I find Bodytech's (Vitamin Shop brand) Pro-24 (make sure you get the Pro-24) to be a great value. It's primary ingredient is whey isolate (instead of the cheaper and inferior whey concentrate). It tastes great, too.

Oh darn it!!!!!! I forgot about that little detail (isolate) when I bought the Designer Whey supplement. It does say on the nutrition label that it has whey protein concentrate and whey protein isolate among other ingredients. Is that ok? Should I return it and find something with whey isolate as primary ingredient? Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • littlebird
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the replies. I'll have to go shopping soon. I didn't know they put eggs in those drinks.
    :noway:
  • Thrust
    Options

Oh darn it!!!!!! I forgot about that little detail (isolate) when I bought the Designer Whey supplement. It does say on the nutrition label that it has whey protein concentrate and whey protein isolate among other ingredients. Is that ok? Should I return it and find something with whey isolate as primary ingredient? Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Ideally isolate would be the main ingredient (listed first), however, it's not a huge deal. If it's not an inconvenience, take it back. Otherwise, just use it and try something different next time around.
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    This is a bit off topic, but what is the benefit to protein drinks?
    Thanks
  • Thrust
    Options
    This is a bit off topic, but what is the benefit to protein drinks?
    Thanks

Their primary benefit is the type of protein they contain. Whey is a very fast digesting protein and is very useful in post-workout nutrition. For everyone else, they help people to meet daily protein requirements in a convenient way. Also, protein powder typically is the cheapest source of protein $'s per gram.

While there are many more reasons, these are the primary.
  • heartshapdworld
    Options
    Thank you-are protein drinks necessary?
  • jamster
    jamster Posts: 38
    Options
    I use Aria's Women protein in chocolate. It tastes oh-so-good! It's only 80 calories for two scoops and even though it only packs 14 grams of protein, it's enough for what I need. I do everything with it! Mix it in with cottage cheese, roll half a banana in it, make plenty of protein shakes or just mix it with water and ice ( I prefer it in the blender rather than just liquidy, because it comes out like a chocolate milkshake!) But I really do love this stuff!! :drinker:
  • Thrust
    Options
    Thank you-are protein drinks necessary?

It depends on your goals. Under normal circumstances, protein powder isn't necessary. In fact, I'd prefer "eat" than "drink" my protein. However, if you strength train, whey protein is the preferred form of protein to consume immediately following your workout. Also, if you're an individual who eats a quite a bit of protein you may want to consider protein powder. For instance, I consume quite a bit of protein (250- 300g a day on occasion) so eating that much meat can get expensive ;-).
  • heartshapdworld
    Options
    Thanks, that is very helpful
    :happy: