Implanon birth control weight loss

Options
So I had the implanting put in Aug 1 since then I've gained 30+. So I'm now gonna work to lose weight but has anyone had this issue and been able to or not been able to lose weight?

Replies

• Tymeshia06
    Options
    I'm having the exact problem. When I had it inserted I weighed only 112 now
    I'm 141. All the weight sits directly in my stomach. I've started watching what I eat
    And excersing more none of it helps. I may just have it removed
  • Raven2evil
    Raven2evil Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yeah I mean for me it's not worth taking it out since most BC comes with some weight gain but yeah my weight is normally very equally disturbed but since this it sits at my stomach and even looked pregnant for a little bit. Part of that is that it tricks your body into thinking you're pregnant. But I have had some success so far getting some of the weight of so it can be done.
  • angelmma
    angelmma Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hey I recently got my implanion out. I put on 2 stone in year (28lbs) and kept gaining. Since getting it out a 3 weeks ago I've noticed my appetite has really disappeared. I've lost 9.5lbs in 3 weeks. My pregnant looking belly that I couldn't shift is starting to go. I'm currently on microgynon now and so far haven't had any problems. Also my 'temper tantrums' have gone which I think was because of the implant.
  • Raven2evil
    Options
    I have noticed when I do get a lot angrier about a lot more things. Also never show me a sad anything I will cry which is not normal for me. My biggest pet peeve is my lack of libido. I have almost zero interest in anything sexual. Ill probably wait the full 3 years and try something else cause I paid for it not paying for a second one. I have heard the weight will drop back off when you take it out though which I'm hopeful about especially if I'm already trying to be healthy imagine when I have it out.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I gained 30 plus pounds on hormonal BC, my DR took me off almost three weeks ago... I lost 5 pounds the first week and 5 more last week...
  • SherryL0419
    SherryL0419 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I gained so much weight while I was on it, got severely depressed and constantly had huge painful cystic acne all along my jawline. My doctor was adamant that none of it had anything to do with the Implanon and convinced me to leave it in. The second time I went back about it he still tried to convince me it was all my imagination but I told him even if it was I wanted it out so I could have the peace of mind that it wasn't......but it was because all of those issues started going away (well except the weight...I had to work to lose it but at least I didn't keep gaining once it was removed) As with everything like that I'm sure it works great for some people but for me it was a horrible experience.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I actually lost weight with mine (both times). I think it has more to do with how the hormones effect you other than anything else. I know on Depo and the pill my appetite was crazy high. So, it could be that the hormones are making you crave particular foods, or just making you crave more of anything. I had mine put back in last September, and have lost about 15lbs without thinking about trying to lose weight.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I don't have Implanon but a friend does and she gained some weight too. I know that they say birth control doesn't cause weight gain by itself, but I definitely believe that there's a link. Maybe it doesn't magically make fat cells appear, but there are definite changes that take place. I asked my doctor recently if my birth control may have something to do with why I'm losing weight so slowly despite watching my calories like a hawk. He said he didn't have a doubt that it did. It told me it would probably be harder for me (especially now that I'm going on a different one. yay.), but not to give up. It's no different than someone who is on any other medication that might hinder their weight loss a bit. It may take a bit more time, but it'll still happen. So irritating when you're trying hard, but still possible for sure!
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I just got mine in three weeks ago and I've lost 5.5 pounds since
  • melissawiltrout
    melissawiltrout Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've had mine in for almost 3 years now. I didn't think that there could be a connection between my weight gain till I read your post.
    Oh my goodness! I've gained weight only in my belly region and I'm the heaviest I've ever been.
  • Raven2evil
    Options
    Jealous of the ladies that lost weight from this. I've heard a number of both good and bad from the implanon. I have taken pills were I lost weight but I also hate pills and never remember so I decided to try this. If I can afford it gonna try the merina in 2 and a half years. I'm also glad to hear it can be done and I have begun to lose weight. To all those with negative effects I'm sorry you had such bad reactions. Sadly most of this stuff is still a guessing game.
  • missbirrell
    Options
    Got my first Implanon in Apr 2010. In the next 2 years I put on almost 3 stone. I mainly attributed this to a major break up and severe depression episode. I got my second Implanon in Mar 2013. I started my diet in Oct 2013 and losing weight is ok. It's slow progress but it's happening. What I do notice is that now I carry most of my weight around my stomach. When I did Weight Watchers in 2006, I carried most of my weight up higher. That might just be because I'm older, though!
  • alibee88
    Options
    I did have major weight gain around the time I had my first implanon in. However, I'm a strong believer in taking some personal responsibility for my actions and, at the end of the day, this happened because I ate too much. I do think my implanon made me hungrier. I really doubt it would make weight loss impossible for anyone though unless you have serious hormonal issues (in which case it probably isn't suitable in general)

I'm currently around 8kg down from my all-time highest weight and that loss has taken place while I had my implant. I love it as birth control and am definitely sticking with it. I think I will just know for the future that I need to take extra care tracking when I get it changed and the hormones are strongest.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 pounds since I had mine put in - I was warned in advance that it MAY cause weight gain because it increases appetite, so I just plan well enough to have healthy snacks around for the most part. That's not to say I don't give in to my cravings sometimes, but I don't blame that weakness on my birth control
  • Raven2evil
    Options
    My weight gain wasn't solely implanon I've had a terrible diet it and right around the time i got it I started staying up later eating later in the night and eating a lot along with the numerous sodas I would guzzle down in a day. And eventually along with i'm gonna assume a slight slowing down of my metabolism due to the hormonal change it started to catch up with me. I super glad of it though, before I would just complain about being over weight. It was never a big deal since my weight distributed pretty evenly and if at all it went to my butt and my hips it wasn't a big enough deal for me to want to fix it. When I noticed i looked pregnant cause it was starting to settle at my stomach it infuriated me enough to get my butt off the couch and do something about it.
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've had mine in since August 2013. My doctor warned about weight gain and a whole bunch of other side effects. I'd been on a few different kinds of birth control before implanon and I had gained weight before with all of them. I figured it was just what happened to me on these kinds of medications. I carry my weight in my stomach/thighs and I did notice a small gain. The major change for me though was my appetite. I did have some horrible cycles of feast and famine though which worried everyone around me. It settled down very quickly around October/November. Now I can't eat as much as I used to - I get really nauseous and just don't feel hungry most days. My doctor was right though - it does take at least 3 months to really settle down and probably another month or two of you personally working out how your body feels at different times.
  • losinglbslovinglife
    Options
    Its a pain but it is possible to lose weight with it. I've lost 24lbs-ish since getting it in, in october.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    The actual birth control does not cause weight gain. Weight gain comes from a surplus of calories.

What the birth control does do is "Increase your appetite".

I always read the warnings prior to any change in my Birth control (mind you I've only done that twice in the last 20 years)

If you are congnative that your appetite will be increased you can twart the weight gain by being aware you are eating a surplus and just count your calories and prevent it.

ETA I have lost all my weight while using Mirena and Depo the two most Notorious Birth control methods out there...I didn't gain weight because of them I gained weight because I ate too much and didn't move enough.
  • Raven2evil
    Options
    The actual birth control does not cause weight gain. Weight gain comes from a surplus of calories.

I always read the warnings prior to any change in my Birth control (mind you I've only done that twice in the last 20 years)

If you are congnative that your appetite will be increased you can twart the weight gain by being aware you are eating a surplus and just count your calories and prevent it.

ETA I have lost all my weight while using Mirena and Depo the two most Notorious Birth control methods out there...I didn't gain weight because of them I gained weight because I ate too much and didn't move enough.

You've got to understand that hormones also effect our metabolism. Sometime BC will lower and raise you metabolism from a day to day basis until it levels out. If you aren't careful and don't watch it you can gain weight even if you already eat rather healthy. Yes it is due to how/what you eat but also it's partially due to your metabolism being messed with too.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

You've got to understand that hormones also effect our metabolism. Sometime BC will lower and raise you metabolism from a day to day basis until it levels out. If you aren't careful and don't watch it you can gain weight even if you already eat rather healthy. Yes it is due to how/what you eat but also it's partially due to your metabolism being messed with too.

I do not believe for one second that BC can mess with one's metabolism so much that it causes 20lbs of weight gain eating "exactly" the way they were before when they were maintaining...that would mean a drop in RMR/BMR and TDEE to an extent that they should seek medical attention as they would have low energy, be cold, trouble sleeping, dry skin etc and to be frank that happens with low estrogen which happens during menopause which makes it hard to lose weight. With todays BC there are so little hormones in them and since we are getting extra...

The hormones that effect our metabolism are mainly from the thyroid and adrenal glands...yes our sex hormones have an effect but not nearly as much as people like to believe. As I mentioned low estrogen from menopause causes women to have a harder time to lose weight...

http://www.mayoclinic.org/metabolism/art-20046508?pg=1