Morningstar Farm Products

Hello,

I am currently researching and debating whether or not to start doing a Vegetarian diet and cut out meat (and eggs, but being a college kid...you don't get good home cookin'), I have been looking at the Morningstar Farm products to use as an substitute for my protein.

Anyone done this before, or tried? I am just curious in what to do for meat-substitutes. I have already been doing so since there are limited amount of "good" protein in the Dining Hall as is. I drink Blue Almond Unsweetened Coconut milk for sometime now, so I am willing to hear from you all!

Thanks and Have A Great Evening!

Replies

• chickenz
    chickenz Posts: 101 Member
    They are tasty. I like the regular vegetarian burgers and some of the flavored ones taste good too. The only stuff I didn't like was the black bean burger and the grillers burgers
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    There are pros and cons to Morningstar. Their products are delicious and my husband eats two sausages every morning with no ill effects. If I join in, the soy affects my menstrual cycle. You may have to see how your own body reacts to soy.

For easy to prepare proteins, focus on nuts and beans, rather than soy based pseudo products. Then you can use Morningstar on certain occasions. Even soy nuts and edamame are less likely to have a negative affect on you than the highly processed soy products.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    I like them. I'm not a vegetarian, though. But I do enjoy their products.

I work at a Jewish facility, and we have a policy of non-meat to keep the building semi-Kosher. So I find that I can bring the Morningstar Farms products to work for my lunch once in a while, and it works out just fine.

I love the Spicy Black Bean Burger (wonderful if you are low on fiber that day!) and the Prime Griller. I top them each with either lots of mustard or some salsa, and eat them with a fork. LOL I can't get enough of the Spicy Black Bean Burger!!

I've also added their Sausage Crumbles (fake sausage) to spaghetti sauce, and it's pretty good that way.

Those are the only things I've tried.
  • betweenthesedays
    betweenthesedays Posts: 15 Member
    We've had them - no problems here. I think they have a place and can be a good addition, but there are other ways to get in your protein without using something meant to be meat like. If you're eating a decent variety of foods, you are in fact consuming protein because even things like vegetables or oatmeal have protein in them and all of those little bits add up through out the day. That being said, if you're eating the large amounts of protein that tends to be suggested on MFP, then you might find that more difficult.

It's been a long time since I ate in the dining hall, but what about beans or nuts and seeds? On the salad bar? Otherwise we're talking things like nut butters, spinach (13g in 1 c), breads and pastas, grains, non-dairy milk, etc.

You might also find the No Meat Athlete site helpful (http://www.nomeatathlete.com/where-vegetarians-get-protein/)
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    I love the chik'n patties - probably have 2 or 3 a week. My 15 year old daughter likes them as well.....they're a LOT healthier than your regular chicken tenders!
  • betweenthesedays
    betweenthesedays Posts: 15 Member
    More protein sources (http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php) and spinach is 5g in 1c cooked to be more precise. :0)