Tilapia fish recipes?

Options
I was wondering if anyone knew some great tilapia fish recipes? I would like to have some for dinner because I would like to try something different.

Replies

• Keeleelee55
    Keeleelee55 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried with tilapia yet but with cod loin, should work the same. Place enough foil in pan to seal your fish then pour a little olive oil in. Brush about a tblsp of pesto over each filet and squeeze a little lemon juice over that. Wrap in foil and bake at 350 for about 30 - 40 minutes.
  • leesee88
    leesee88 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    ALLRECIPES.COM has a great recipe called Summertime Tilapia. I use less sugar (or none) and I dont use the tequila. Very tasty and very easy.
  • AmandaLY17
    AmandaLY17 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    http://www.runningtothekitchen.com/2013/01/dijon-almond-crusted-tilapia/

Its yummy, even my pickiest kid ate his. Pinterest is great for finding recipes too. Its a staple resource for meal planning for me :)
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I season my tilapia with garlic salt, black pepper, and dillweed, then press it into whole wheat flour and pan-sear it in coconut oil. Make sure to get the oil nice and hot, and do not turn it too frequently or it will fall apart. You want that nice, brown crust on both sides! I usually serve it with plenty of veggies and a side of quinoa or rice. I also love to dip it in Tzatziki (if I've got extra calories to budget.)
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    My talapia is easy... Just season with some form of Cajun seasoning or Mrs Dash, bake in oven, put in corn tortilla, with spinich, pico and a little ranch. Served with side of charro beans and / or rice. Dinner is served.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    I would avoid Tilapia because of the way it is farmed and it being relatively unhealthy compared to most other fish. However, it's a very sturdy fish and you can make it almost any way you would make salmon or chicken, so don't confine yourself just to tilapia recipes when doing a search.
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Coconut Crusted Tilapia with Miami Mango Salsa

To make fish:
    4 tilapia fillets
    pinch of each: cumin and coriander
    sea salt
    1/4 c flour
    1 egg
    splash of milk
    1 c panko bread crumbs
    1 c coconut flakes
    2-3 T coconut oil
    lime

1. Season fish with a light dusting of spices and a generous sprinkle of sea salt.

2. Prepare a breading station for fish by lining up 3 bowls. In the first, put the flour. In the second, whisk together the egg and milk. In the third, mix the coconut and panko crumbs. Dip each fillet into the three bowls in this order: flour, egg bath, coconut. Coat well.

3. Heat oil in frying pan over a medium high flame. When hot add the fish. Turn fish when the flakes start to brown, about 2 minutes. Repeat on the second side. Carefully poke a knife to make sure the center is cooked.

4. Sprinkle with sea salt and serve immediately with lime wedges and Miami Mango Salsa.

Miami Mango Salsa

This is a sweet salsa, but if you want heat add red pepper flakes or chillis.

1 ripe mango
    1/2 red bell pepper
    1 shallot
    4 T fresh chopped cilantro
    juice and zest of 1 lime
    sea salt

1. Cut mango, pepper and shallot into a fine dice.

2. Combine all ingredients and season with sea salt to your taste. Allow flavors to meld together for at least 30 minutes. This can be made in advance as the longer it sits, the better it gets, up to 3 days.
  • Kiyalynn
    Kiyalynn Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have a very simple talapia recipe that we use every time... its Delicious, and healthy!

Just take the fish, and cover it in black pepper, (you can go heavier or lighter depending on how well you guys like black pepper) and put them on a cookie sheet (or baking sheet). Make sure to get both sides of the fish. Then take a fresh lemon (or bottled lemon juice) cut it into slices and cook the lemon on top of the fish. I use 1 lemon for 4 fish (the frozen ones from the store is what I use and they are individually packaged, I use 4 of them), It helps to cut the lemon slices in half so you have easy to squeeze pieces. Bake it in the oven until the fish is flaky (you just take a fork to tell if the meat in the center is flaky or not, usually takes 15-30 min but can vary depending on how big the fish pieces are). When you go to eat it, squeeze the warm lemon pieces onto the fish! (or mash them onto it with a fork either work). Its simple, quick... and oh so good!
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I can help with this one.

The first is just a plain old baked whitefish.

Sprinkle on a little Lawrey's season salt place a slice of onion and a pat of butter on top. Bake at 350 untill fish is flakey. Takes about 20 minutes.

You can add onto that by making a mango salsa and pouring it over top of the fish. This is truely awesome.

The third option, I call microwave fish meals.

Place 1 portion of fish in the bottom of a microwave safe dish that has a lid. Sprinkle on a little seasoning of your choice. Cut of veggies of your choice into bit size pieces and throw then into the container. I use bell peppr slices, mushrooms, brussles sprouts and sweet potatoes but you can use almost anything. Put a pat of butter on top, cover and microwave for five minutes. I take these to work for lunch. Easy to make and convenient. If you have a group everyone can customize them to their own liking.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    My favorite as of late: Cilantro Lime Tilapia Tacos!!!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/02/cilantro-lime-tilapia-tacos.html
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Mediterranean Tilapia
    Serves 2

1 Tbsp olive oil
    2 Tilapia filets [or any fish you like]
    1 can roasted garlic and onion diced tomatoes, drain off some of the liquid
    1 can artichokes, quartered and drained
    2 Tbsp capers

Heat non-stick pan on stove; add small amount of olive oil, add tomatoes, artichokes and capers. Simmer 5 minutes at medium heat. Move sauce to the side and slide fish filets into pan. Top filets with sauce and cover. Simmer 15 minutes until fish flakes. Serve with seasoned rice or couscous.

More recipes at http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Grilled Fish Tacos
    http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/07/grilled-fish-tacos.html
    Serves 4

Ingredients

For fish:
    4 tilapia filets
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
    1/4 tsp cumin
    1/4 tsp Mexican oregano, crushed by hand
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
    Olive oil
    Lime juice
    Cilantro, roughly chopped

For chipotle mayo:
    4 Tbsp light mayonnaise
    1 tsp chipotle puree
    1/8 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 tsp lime juice

For tacos:
    12 Corn tortillas
    Coleslaw mix
    1 small red onion, thinly sliced
    1 tomato, chopped
    Cilantro, roughly chopped
    Lime, cut into wedges
    2% sharp cheddar cheese (optional)

Directions

Combine garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle tilapia filets evenly on both sides. Sprinkle filets with olive oil, lime juice and cilantro, rub all over filets and place in refrigerator covered to marinate 10-15 minutes.

In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, chipotle puree, salt and lime juice. Stir until well combined, cover and set aside in the refrigerator. [If you can not find chipotle puree, puree a can of chipotle peppers in adobe in a blender or food processor. Freeze leftovers in a Ziploc bag for another use.]

Pre-heat grill to medium heat for 10 minutes. Place tilapia filets on one side of a large piece of foil. Fold the other half of foil over the filets and fold the three edges. Place foil packet on the grill. Grill 6 minutes, 3 minutes a side. Remove from grill and let rest 10 minutes.

Warm tortillas on a plate covered in plastic wrap for 40 seconds on high in the microwave. To assemble tacos spread a teaspoon of chipotle mayo in the center of the each tortilla. Add flaked tilapia, coleslaw, red onion, tomato and cilantro. Add a sprinkle of cheese if using. Serve with a lime wedge to squeeze over the top.
  • cclarocque
    Options
    This is my favorite.....my family often tells me it is best dish I make.

Tilapia with Grapefruit-Caper Sauce

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/tilapia_grapefruit_caper_sauce.html

From EatingWell: January/February 2014
    In this healthy, quick tilapia recipe, you’ll combine grapefruit, shallot, capers, butter and a touch of honey for a rich, bittersweet sauce. Any grapefruit will work, but vibrant ruby-red grapefruit is the prettiest. Serve with whole-wheat couscous and broccolini.

4 servings, 4 oz. fish & 2 tbsp. sauce each | Active Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients

2 medium red grapefruit
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1-1 1/4 pounds tilapia
    1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    3 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
    1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
    1 tablespoon butter
    2 teaspoons honey
    Preparation

Slice both ends off one grapefruit. With a sharp knife, remove the peel and white pith; discard. Working over a small bowl, cut the segments from their surrounding membranes. Set aside. Juice the second grapefruit into another small bowl. Drain any accumulated juice from the segments into the bowl with juice.
    Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle both sides of fish with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add the fish to the pan and cook until browned and opaque in the middle, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Remove to a plate, leaving behind as much oil as possible. Tent with foil to keep warm.
    Add shallot to the pan over medium-high heat; cook, stirring, until starting to brown, about 1 minute. Add the grapefruit juice, capers, butter, honey and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until the sauce has thickened slightly, 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat and stir the grapefruit segments into the sauce. Serve the fish with the sauce.
    Nutrition

Per serving : 233 Calories; 9 g Fat; 3 g Sat; 4 g Mono; 64 mg Cholesterol; 17 g Carbohydrates; 24 g Protein; 2 g Fiber; 373 mg Sodium; 531 mg Potassium

1 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 1 fruit, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
  • nena39
    Options
    You can also use Taco Seasoning and steam it, it tastes really good, i also do this no carb, no sugar honey dijon dressing from stop and shop and bake it until golden brown.
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Tilapia taco salad

This isn't so much a set recipe as a guide to a dish I make whenever I have tilapia around.

Season tilapia with salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, and lime juice. Bake or grill.

Salad: lettuce, thin sliced red cabbage, shredded cabbage, halved cherry tomatoes, chopped cilantro. Dress with lime juice, olive oil, and a touch of agave or honey. Top with tilapia.

Optional add ons: black beans, avocado or guacamole, sour cream, crumble of cotija or feta cheese.
  • WhiteCloud9
    WhiteCloud9 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Bump