Any good breakfast suggestions?

Options
I'm looking for suggestions on healthy and easy to make / make ahead breakfast options. I'm in a breakfast rut and I'm hoping to spice things up a bit with your suggestions! Thanks :)

Replies

• JTorch97
    Options
    Chobani Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt (or the Vanilla flavor if the plain is too bitter for you and you can't acquire the taste). But a few big spoonfuls in a bowl and put some of your favorite cereal on top! I like strawberry and oats cereal on mine. It's a much more filling, protein-packed version of cereal and milk. Eat it with an apple and a glass of water :)
  • Everyone is going to tell you eggs and oatmeal, so I'll start. I like omelets with spinach and tomato and sometimes cream cheese, but recently I've just been making poached eggs in the microwave, because it's easier. It's also healthier because there's no oil or butter involved. Of course I can't eat them without buttered toast. I also make oatmeal in the microwave with skim milk and frozen berries and cinnamon. If I'm really in a hurry I'll just have a banana with peanut butter
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    I had what my friends & I like to call a Crack Wrap for breakfast this morning :)

you can tweak it to your tastes but it requires eggs, hummus, cheese & a tortilla
    I used:

1 whole egg & 3 tbs egg white scrambled
    1 slice of sargento extra thin cheddar cheese
    1 oz cilantro jalapeno hummus (from aldi's)
    1 La Tortilla Factory low carb wrap

290 calories, 24 grams of protein & 14 grams of fiber. Kept me full for HOURS which is impressive cause I eat pretty much constantly
  • wen001bro
    wen001bro Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I made egg white "muffins." I used 9 or ten egg whites, added some sauteed onions and spinach, cheddar cheese and halved grape tomatoes. Poured it into a muffin tin (12 count) that I sprayed with Pam. Baked at 350 for 12-15 minutes. I ate two a day for breakfast. They warm up nicely in the microwave and held their shape just fine. They tasted delicious! You can add anything you want to them!
  • miksmets
    miksmets Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am currently in love with these two:

1) whole wheat toast with an over-easy egg ( you can squish the yolk so it soaks into the toast sooo yummy)

2)whole wheat toast with egg white and sliced avacado yumm!!!!!

smoothies are also great!
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I eat boiled eggs (cook a batch then peel and pop in the microwave if you want them warm) with Nature's Own Honey Wheat 3x fiber bread. I also eat Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt and fruit. Right now, I'm on an oatmeal smoothie kick (22 grams of protein). I like PBJ for breakfast, too. I'm also not above eating a protein bar when I'm presses for time and imagination. These are things I pack for work. I also tend to eat breakfast in two "meals" so that I don't get so hungry before lunch. When I'm home, I eat omelets with 2% sharp cheddar and bacon bits and cereal with milk (current favorite is Kashi Go Lean Vanilla Graham).
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I am in the greek yogurt camp, as well, but I use Fage. I like it with crunchier cereals, like Grapenuts, but I am going to try it with Muesli this week.

I also love steel cut oatmeal, usually with fruit and nuts.

Lately, I have been having Jimmy Dean Delights breakfast sandwiches with V8 - more sodium and fat than the other options, but it keeps me on track.
  • janeytom
    janeytom Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I keep a jar of pre-cooked peppers/onions in the fridge.
    I use a 3 cup package of frozen pre-chopped peppers/onion, and cook in a non-stick pan with 1 Tbs. of olive oil.
    I cook it and it's good for the week. It's about 10 calories for 1 rounded Tbs. cooked.
    I heat a spoonful of the p/o in a small non-stick fry pan. Whip 1 egg until it's very "blended/thin", then quickly pour it in the small frypan, tilting the pan to cover the pan bottom and to cover the p/o. You can flip it or not- I cover it with a lid and it's done in about 2 minutes. When I remove it, I wrap/roll it around a Sargento snack stick (cheddar or Colby). Yum. 140 calories, lots of protein to keep me going until a late lunch.
    The p/o mix comes in handy for so many meals- cook it once, you're done for the week!
    You can also do the egg without the pepper/onion mix.
  • TomfromNY
    TomfromNY Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm doing low carb - here are a couple of ideas

Fage Full Fat Plain Yogurt - get the quart size, as its cheaper. Put 3/4 cup in a bowl with a couple of sliced strawberries or blueberries - alternatively add a few roasted almonds. If you want to make it more of a desert/breakfast, add one or two squares of super-dark chocolate (85-90% cocao)

Eggs/Omelet - Eggs, peppers, onions, spinach, bacon, cheese

Bulletproof coffee - for breakfast on the run - Take two cups of coffee, 1 tblsp of coconut oil, 1/2 tblsp of butter (unsalted) and a dash of milk/cream. Put it in the blender and its a creamy fat-filled breakfast that will keep your energy up with about 250 calories.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Everyone is going to tell you eggs and oatmeal
    :laugh:

I either have:
    1) a green smoothie/juice
    2) a breakfast sandwich - 2 scrambled eggs, a whole wheat sandwich thin, bacon or turkey, then cheese
    3) oatmeal with a dollop of either Nutella or peanut butter
    4) plain greek yogurt with (again) a scoop of either Nutella or peanut butter, or some dark chocolate chips

I really like sweets and chocolate, so these are ways I get to enjoy it in the morning. It really curbs evening cravings, too :smile:
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm normally in a rush in the morning (my own fault, I hate waking up earlier than necessary) so I normally just pack myself maybe a baked oatmeal and a fruit along with my lunch and eat it once I get to school.
    Otherwise I like making smoothies, scrambled eggs with salsa, toast or rice cake with avocado & egg, toast with pb and banana, oatmeal, greek yogurt with various toppings (but I usually keep it simple and just mix in some cocoa powder)
  • 1healthyerin
    Options
    Overnight oats are good and easy. (you can google recipes to find what you like). I like mine with greek yogurt and almond milk and I change up the "extras". Whole grain wheat toast with peanut butter (wild friends Peanut butter has tons of fun PB flavors) and raspberry preserves. Banana with PB2 drizzled on it and almonds. Everything Bagel thins with half of an avocado spread on it (even better with a soft boiled egg on top). Also, greek yogurt with berries. :) I am like the other person who mentioned a second breakfast, I eat "two' breakfast meals. I LOVE DETOUR oatmeal bars, Larabars or 180 trail mix snacks for my 2nd breakfast.
  • psykins
    Options
    I can't do it any more because I moved out of the country, but I used to do full-fat plain greek yogurt, mixed with 1-2 tbsp of hemp powder, dark chocolate granola, and frozen raspberries. So so SO good, and chock full of protein and fiber.
  • pitchf0rk
    pitchf0rk Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm always having a glass of warm water with fresh lemon juice, fresh ginger and a bit of honey first to boost my metabolism.
    Additionally I usually have oatmeal, which I prepare ahead. Typically I make 3 portions in the morning and the 2 consecutive days I'll have the left overs from day one. The oatmeal I prepare mostly with maple syrup and cinnamon or bourbon vanilla. Then every day I'll add some different fresh fruits like oranges, apple, kiwi, pineapple, mango, banana, kaki etc. sometimes I also add some frozen raspberries or nuts.
    This keeps me full until lunch and I can easily go for the salad bar in out canteen.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Think outside of the breakfast box all together? Left-overs? Soup? Sandwich? Waffles or pancakes can be made ahead and frozen... add peanut butter and fruit after you reheat them.

If I need a quick breakfast I'm cooking an egg in the microwave (1 egg + 1 tablespoon of milk, butter is usually used to grease the bowl a bit as the cooking spray is usually hiding from me in the morning), eating Greek yogurt and Kashi or eating leftovers.
  • lucwitt
    Options
    Yum! There are some great suggestions here! I definitely won't have the breakfast blues for a while! I am excited to start trying all your awesome recipes out!! Thanks for sharing guys :)