Lost 110lbs...and the weight loss has stopped

Options
Hi guys...need help from "the experts" and not quite sure where to turn. I have lost 110lbs. In the past year. Since November, I have only lost 5lbs. I can't seem to lose any more and I've got 25 left to go. I exercise 3x weekly so I know that could be improved significantly...but am I eating too many calories? I can eat 1200 a day and kind of end up starved. I usually stick to 1400 and never reach 1500. I'm pretty inactive during work and sitting at a computer. My thing is, am I eating too many calories? Any help is requested and appreciated. I know I need to drink some water too. Thanks guys.

Replies

• Always_Smiling_D
    Always_Smiling_D Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Try figuring your tree... as far as being starved, are you eating enough protein?
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    Either figure TDEE (I can't remember the correct website address for the great calculator but I remember it has "Scooby" in it and it'll even figure out what the TDEE is for weight loss) or increase your exercise. Also change up how you're getting your calories. Try bumping up the protein on closer to 1200 Calories. That should fill you up and also drop your calorie intake. That is only if you don't figure out TDEE.

I know sometimes I have to just change things up. I haven't lost as much as you but I'm also pretty sure that I've been to this weight loss rodeo a few times more than you. So usually I bump up my water and/or exercise. I also play with the fat, carbs and protein. And remember as you get closer to goal, you'll lose much more slowly than in the past.
  • PaulaCLamb
    Options
    Hi
    It is imperative that you eat as close to the number of calories required by the my fitness pal indicators eating below continuously will slow the metabolism

If you are exercising it is important on those days to eat those additional calories that MFP provides as you will be in too much of a calorie deficit to the deficit already set for your weightless goals.

I have found that if you do a complex carbohydrate re-feed once per week on a day when you are exercising this can help to shake some pounds or get the metabolism going.

As we lose weight our natural metabolic rate changes and so does our body on a physiological level so the body will naturally have stagnant times to re-adjust to the new you..your body functions differently at your new weight..

Interval training workouts are great for firing up the metabolism short bursts of increased intensity through-out your workout (cardio) are great for elevating heart rate and burning additional calories. Exercising in a fasted state will also help your body to burn fat and drop those inches. Have your ever heard of Fasting, Intermittent Dieting - 14 hour fast (most of it is while you sleep) 10 hour feeding window. Monitor your calories like you are with MFP and boom your on your way..

Protein is a key factor to satiety and hunger. MFP is a great way to look at your individual food items you are eating and look at what the carb, protein, fat, sugar content is its foodie education. In a nutshell try the complex carbohydrate re-feed once a week - no more than 40-50 calories (low low fat and sugar) I recommend Large flake oatmeal (it is low GI and great carbohydrate). And go from there.

Good luck
    Paula C
  • SmileCozYouCan
    SmileCozYouCan Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Either figure TDEE (I can't remember the correct website address for the great calculator but I remember it has "Scooby" in it and it'll even figure out what the TDEE is for weight loss) or increase your exercise. Also change up how you're getting your calories. Try bumping up the protein on closer to 1200 Calories. That should fill you up and also drop your calorie intake. That is only if you don't figure out TDEE.

I know sometimes I have to just change things up. I haven't lost as much as you but I'm also pretty sure that I've been to this weight loss rodeo a few times more than you. So usually I bump up my water and/or exercise. I also play with the fat, carbs and protein. And remember as you get closer to goal, you'll lose much more slowly than in the past.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Are you talking about this? ^^^^^^
  • kingtermite
    kingtermite Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Interval training workouts are great for firing up the metabolism short bursts of increased intensity through-out your workout (cardio) are great for elevating heart rate and burning additional calories.
    I'm in a similar position. Lost about the same and been struggling. I just went to a "science of fat loss" local presentation this past weekend, and based on what I heard, I'm going to shake up my workouts with interval training. It looks promising.
  • seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi guys...need help from "the experts" and not quite sure where to turn. I have lost 110lbs. In the past year. Since November, I have only lost 5lbs. I can't seem to lose any more and I've got 25 left to go. I exercise 3x weekly so I know that could be improved significantly...but am I eating too many calories? I can eat 1200 a day and kind of end up starved. I usually stick to 1400 and never reach 1500. I'm pretty inactive during work and sitting at a computer. My thing is, am I eating too many calories? Any help is requested and appreciated. I know I need to drink some water too. Thanks guys.

You gotta start moving and eating like an athlete if you wanna get shredded and lose the very last few pounds.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Jen, one problem is that we can't see what you're eating. To open your diary to us please go here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Secondly, and this is JMHO, I think you're not eating enough cals. 1200 for the amount of exercise you're doing? You need to eat back some/ a lot of those exercise cals. Starvation mode is real. Your body doesn't like you eating so little. Also, since I don't know what you're eating, but add some fats back in, good fats.

Hope this helps. GL.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    n/a
  • mmsuzyq
    Options
    Have you tried carb cycling in tandem with your workouts? Do LCHF (hi-fat lo-carb) on days you do cardio or less and HCLF (hi-carb lo-fat) on days you do weights. Trick is to be fat adapted and then upping carbs on certain workout days. Youtube has lots of videos on this. Let me if you want finer details.
  • girlpaint
    girlpaint Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Plateaus are real, and they suck. I've been there -- in fact, I've hit a plateau recently and have had a really tough time staying motivated.

That said, you can do something about it. First and foremost, make sure you're logging your food and that you're completely honest about what you're eating (no fudging!). Take a look at your diet over the past few weeks. Does it look pretty much the same, day-to-day? If so, it may be time to rethink your eating plan a little. Small changes can sometimes make a big difference. Try switching from low fat to low carb, or vice versa. Or try going vegetarian (or better yet, vegan) a couple of days a week. Or (if you doctor okays it), try intermittent fasting (seriously though, don't try this unless your doctor clears you and you know exactly what IF plan you're going to do).

Also, you might try changing your exercise up. If you always walk, try switching out a couple of walks for yoga, dance, swimming or bicycling...or try a class whether it be martial arts, HIIT/Tabata, Barre or that one you've always wanted to try .

Whatever you do, try something new. It may be tough (believe me, I know), but you CAN break through. You can do it!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,933 Member
    Options
    You have lost 110, and you're worried about a stall?!?!?!! You are obviously doing a LOT right! Let your body recalibrate! Enjoy the view from this lovely plateau.

How about taking a break from active weightloss for a while, and go on maintenence. Perhaps then you can get your mojo back, and trick your body into releasing a bit more. Also, consider if your goal is sensible and health-related or a vanity number. There's no point in beating yourself up for an unrealistic goal.

Congratulations on your amazing success, and all the best for whatever you decide. :flowerforyou:
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Awesome success so far! I know how you feel, though. I stalled out after 80 pounds. This is the thread that made everything make sense to me, so I could start losing actual body fat instead of just scale weight. (My weight hasn't really changed in almost a year, but I've gone down two sizes, from 27% to 18.5%.)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Here's Scooby's calculator - it's really accurate if you know you're BF% and input your activity level correctly. I have a desk job and do bodyweight stuff with the big three compound barbell lifts 3xweek and incline/hill walking 3xweek with one full rest day, so I take an average of the moderate and strenuous exercise levels, and I can maintain on 2400-2500/day.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

The closer you are to goal, the closer to your maintainence calories you should be eating. This forum explains TDEE better than I could (these ladies started as a group here on MFP). They recommend good macros for carbs, fat and protein, too.

http://forums.eatmore2weighless.com/showthread.php?tid=1

Best of luck!
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options

Extended diets can screw up your metabolism. My advice is to try a 2-3 week diet break. Your body needs it to get Hormone levels normalized. .Don't get me wrong- don't go crazy. Eat at maintenance and stay active, but don't over train. Don't try to gain weight, but allow yourself to gain a few pounds. It will be water mostly and will come back off rapidly.

Lyle McDonald does a good job of explaining what may be happening:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    My advice is to try a 2-3 week diet break.

This^^
  • GeminiFitness1
    GeminiFitness1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Make sure you change your workout up or shock your body. Try interval training cardio than weights repeat. If you are doing exercising and performing 8-12 reps try decreasing reps to 8-10 also vary the speed of the exercise by going slower. Just like the rest of the posts just keep at it with the plateau because you have done so well. You will lose several more pounds before you know it