Sodium goals

Options
Seriously having a problem here. I am totally miffed about these soups containing so much sodium. I'm a college student and I try my best but this sodium thing is pissing me off. I feel like I can't eat anything! And I'm hungry!

Replies

• JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you...
    Do you have any issues with High Blood Pressure? If not I wouldn't worry to much about going over your listed goals.
    My blood pressure is great (surprisingly) but I'm trying to cut my intake just because of my age etc.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to reduce your sodium, you really don't need to. Of course it is better to keep your sodium below 2,300-2,500, but most of us here have a difficult time staying under. If you have BP issues, it can raise your blood pressure, but if you are healthy, it will have minimal effect. It can cause you to retain water weight, but drinking plenty of water can help. Sodium is in EVERYTHING...well, pretty much. Cheese, any type of condiments, and canned or processed foods. I try to keep my sodium intake at a reasonable level, but if I go over, I don't sweat it too much. The only way to keep it under, is by eating more whole foods, like fruits and veggies, and fresh meat, (ie, not in a can).
  • Amiwil
    Amiwil Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you...
    Do you have any issues with High Blood Pressure? If not I wouldn't worry to much about going over your listed goals.
    My blood pressure is great (surprisingly) but I'm trying to cut my intake just because of my age etc.

Not really. I'm not on meds or anything but my weight being high is not a good thing for the potential.
  • Amiwil
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to reduce your sodium, you really don't need to. Of course it is better to keep your sodium below 2,300-2,500, but most of us here have a difficult time staying under. If you have BP issues, it can raise your blood pressure, but if you are healthy, it will have minimal effect. It can cause you to retain water weight, but drinking plenty of water can help. Sodium is in EVERYTHING...well, pretty much. Cheese, any type of condiments, and canned or processed foods. I try to keep my sodium intake at a reasonable level, but if I go over, I don't sweat it too much. The only way to keep it under, is by eating more whole foods, like fruits and veggies, and fresh meat, (ie, not in a can).

I eat salad at lunch but I like my soups. I'm not sick thank goodness. I will attempt to keep them low but goodness I was stressing over that limit some days.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Salad dressing, if you use it, typically has TONS of sodium, (not literally, lol). The water weight retention is only temporary, until you can get your sodium intake back to a normal range, and flush it out with water. It's very difficult to get sodium intake under control. I wouldn't stress so much about it. As long as your burning fat and gaining muscle, that's what really matters, not a number on a scale. The numbers will come, eventually. If you're just starting out, and gaining muscle, your weight loss may not be reflected on the scale, because muscle is more dense than fat. You could be losing inches, but not losing a pound. You should really measure yourself, and keep track of that, as well as the scale. The scale does not love ANY of us! Maybe occasionally, but not usually. Lol.
  • FitterBody
    FitterBody Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Sodium can be controlled if you choose the right foods. Yesterday I ate 2386 calories and that was especially low in sodium with a daily total of 513 but I am usually under my personal target of 1500 per day goal. Most processed or tinned has added salt, usually lots. Student-friendly cheap low salt, but nutrient rich foods, including some high in protein, and potassium (which helps balance the sodium), include
    1) lentils (choose your colour) with pearl barley.
    2) kidney beans or chick peas or black beans with (I prefer brown) rice.

With 1) you can make up your own low sodium soups by adding in some extra fresh veg, or add spices to make up a low sodium cheap curry, etc. Same with 2) you can make up a fresh tomato and veg sauce to top it off for a very filling meal.

You can add chicken or other meats to either (if you eat them and the student budget can stretch to it) to add to the taste and add even more protein but they are already pretty protein rich per calorie, per penny, already. :smile:

Hope that helps.
    FB.
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Seconding making your own soup as a way to control the sodium.

Do you have access to a kitchen where you live?

I used to make a big pot of soup and a loaf of bread on Sundays when I was in school, and eat it for lunch all week long.

If you can't handle eating the same thing every day, start with two different soups, make more than you will eat in a week and freeze the rest. That way when you make a new pot of soup each week, you will have varieties to choose from.
  • Amiwil
    Options
    Seconding making your own soup as a way to control the sodium.

Do you have access to a kitchen where you live?

I used to make a big pot of soup and a loaf of bread on Sundays when I was in school, and eat it for lunch all week long.

If you can't handle eating the same thing every day, start with two different soups, make more than you will eat in a week and freeze the rest. That way when you make a new pot of soup each week, you will have varieties to choose from.

Nice! Good idea I was making trips to the cafe eating their lentil and 3 bean soups. So they definitely had heavy sodium. I will try making my own, great idea! I love beans, clearly lol.
  • Amiwil
    Options
    Sodium can be controlled if you choose the right foods. Yesterday I ate 2386 calories and that was especially low in sodium with a daily total of 513 but I am usually under my personal target of 1500 per day goal. Most processed or tinned has added salt, usually lots. Student-friendly cheap low salt, but nutrient rich foods, including some high in protein, and potassium (which helps balance the sodium), include

With 1) you can make up your own low sodium soups by adding in some extra fresh veg, or add spices to make up a low sodium cheap curry, etc. Same with 2) you can make up a fresh tomato and veg sauce to top it off for a very filling meal.

You can add chicken or other meats to either (if you eat them and the student budget can stretch to it) to add to the taste and add even more protein but they are already pretty protein rich per calorie, per penny, already. :smile:

Hope that helps.
    FB.

It's so funny you mentioned 1 and 2, because that's exactly what I ate, lentil soup for dinner and 3 bean soup with veggies for snack. I LOVE bean soups. I will definitely attempt making my own low sodium variety and bring them along. I don't know how to make lentil soup but I will learn :). Thanks for the advice. Love pretty penny foods!
  • Amiwil
    Options
    Salad dressing, if you use it, typically has TONS of sodium, (not literally, lol). The water weight retention is only temporary, until you can get your sodium intake back to a normal range, and flush it out with water. It's very difficult to get sodium intake under control. I wouldn't stress so much about it. As long as your burning fat and gaining muscle, that's what really matters, not a number on a scale. The numbers will come, eventually. If you're just starting out, and gaining muscle, your weight loss may not be reflected on the scale, because muscle is more dense than fat. You could be losing inches, but not losing a pound. You should really measure yourself, and keep track of that, as well as the scale. The scale does not love ANY of us! Maybe occasionally, but not usually. Lol.

I typically have the olive oil vinegar blend at the school cafe. I just don't have a measure of how much of it I eat. I might have to embarrass myself and measure it out of a requested side cup. That olive oil is super fatty :(. I DO need to measure myself. I've definitely lost inches somewhere along my upper body. The scale is mean!
  • FitterBody
    FitterBody Posts: 367 Member
    Options

Hope that helps.
    FB.

It's so funny you mentioned 1 and 2, because that's exactly what I ate, lentil soup for dinner and 3 bean soup with veggies for snack. I LOVE bean soups. I will definitely attempt making my own low sodium variety and bring them along. I don't know how to make lentil soup but I will learn :). Thanks for the advice. Love pretty penny foods!

Good going. Next time throw in some pearl barley with the lentils. The combination improves the quality (completeness) of the protein and helps fill you up more and tastes good too.

Same with the beans or chickpeas. Eat them with rice (or at least eat rice on the same day) to "complete" the protein.

Have fun learning how to make the soup. I keep experimenting with the ingredients, (sometimes adding in something new to help meet my micronutrient targets) and looking at different combinations to break up the boredom of the exact same meals over and over again. You don't get bored of a few basic ingredients if you vary the dishes you make with them. Having said that, I am often rushed or just feeling lazy and just bunging 1) or 2) , or a combination of some sort, into the rice cooker with some water and pushing the switch, off for a shower, followed 30 mins later with a quick microwaving of a few veg (lots of tomatoes for the sauce), some garlic cloves for extra heart health, pile it all in a bowl, throw on some freshly ground black pepper and some spices (Fresh or dried mix - Italian mix goes well with it), and voila! 5 minutes total preparation for a cheap, filling, and healthy bowl of nourishment. Much better tasting (I would never have said this before as I was a deep fried battered fish and chips and Heinz baked beans, or a Burger and fries, or pizza and garlic bread, all washed down with a jug of coke man - but as you swap out one ingredient at a time you don't miss it after a while and your taste buds change or at least don't crave the old food as much) and it is cheaper, healthier, low sodium "fast food" than high sodium (and usually high saturated fat) processed food like burgers or pizzas.

I agree with NRSPAM above. You don't need to add high sodium high fat oily processed "dressings". Throw on some herbs and spices or black pepper, or even a colourful mix of fresh sliced/chopped bell peppers and/or onions instead and you really won't miss the "dressing".

As I said, "Have fun".
    FB