Nuva ring/ weight gain?

Options
2»

Replies

• 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I didn't have weight gain with it, but I did develop uterine and vaginal polyps... haven't had any recurrence of those problems since I stopped.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I was able to lose weight without problems on NuvaRing (and other forms of hormonal birth control) and I didn't notice increased weight gain. I used about 3 different types of hormonal birth control over a 10 year period and never had negative symptoms with any (just lucky in that way I guess since I know of many who react terribly to most of them). But most people say that they experience fewer negative symptoms with NuvaRing because the way it is administered allows for a steady, low dose.

All that said, when I did go off birth control about 16 months ago, it took medical intervention for my periods to start again and they have been wonky ever since, so that wasn't cool. Maybe my cycles have always been wonky and I just never knew because of the pill.

My periods are scary now. Lots of visits to my doctor to figure things out :s Its only been 3 months off it but still no definite answers, except my body "began to reject the foreign object and It will take a while to work out". Uncool. It was so easy to use!
    I am honestly worried about my chances of having kids now. None of this to say that the pill/ring caused the wonkiness although I wouldn't rule it out either -- it was hormonal intervention for a long period of time, after all.
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    I've been on it for 2 years and it actually significantly decreased my appetite. every other hormonal birth control really causes me problems. No side effects no weight gain, bloating nothing. Best one i've ever been on!
  • brit7880
    brit7880 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice ladies!
  • MissLaRue
    MissLaRue Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been on the nuva ring for 7 years and while I love it I recently began to put the pieces together that with long term use it can cause, extreme, and i mean EXTREME moodiness- the 4 or 5 days leading up to taking it out I am a stark raving lunatic, it causes anxiety and depression and since I have been on it I have gained around 45 pounds, do some research on long term effects as I have read ALOT of people with these problems.
  • Heathcliff2903
    Heathcliff2903 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My pharmacist warned me and it came true that yeast infections would occur, my naturally clear face also broke out, and I am moody. I am glad it works for some of you though.
  • melissadllewellyn
    melissadllewellyn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I gained almost 20lbs. I hike 5km up and down a mountain everyday, watch my calories and even added strength training and cannot lose 1 lb at all. It's been almost a year of trying really hard to lose weight and I can't when prior to the nuvaring I had no problems losing. I'm going off it asap.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Love love LOVE it! So easy. No weight gain for me. I've been on it for 9 months and have lost 57 pounds in that time.
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I was on it for years and didn't experience any weight gain.