Too Few Calories

Options
Hi everyone! I would appreciate any advice on this topic. Most days I try to eat between 1200-1400 calories a day. I also exercise around 900 calories- so my net total for the day is around 300-500. Is this too few calories? My weight loss just isn't very fast and I feel like I am trying so hard. Help!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Your net should be at the very least 1200. So 300-500 is extremely low if you are calculating everything correctly (900 calories would take me all day in the gym to burn personally). How do you even have the energy to exercise?!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is too low. But what are you doing to burn 900 calories, because that sounds very, very high.
  • bikerchick82
    bikerchick82 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I weigh 195 and do an hour on the arc trainer at a moderate pace. The machine calorie count is pretty similar to my fitness pal. My friend who uses the same machine and weighs about 120 burns about 600 calories. So- how do I solve this? Eat more? Exercise less?
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I weigh 195 and do an hour on the arc trainer at a moderate pace. The machine calorie count is pretty similar to my fitness pal. My friend who uses the same machine and weighs about 120 burns about 600 calories. So- how do I solve this? Eat more? Exercise less?

If you like exercising, then I would eat back the exercise calories, because that is how MFP is set up. BUT, 900 seems very high to me, so I would eat back only about half of this to start off. Then you can see what happens.
  • graham713
    graham713 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

The machine calorie counter is not always accurate. Buy a HR monitor that calculates calories too for a more accurate method. I used to seriously over calculate how many calories I was burning before I got one.
  • josstuff
    josstuff Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Never go off what a machine says you are burning in calories, they are highly inaccurate.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I would appreciate any advice on this topic. Most days I try to eat between 1200-1400 calories a day. I also exercise around 900 calories- so my net total for the day is around 300-500. Is this too few calories? My weight loss just isn't very fast and I feel like I am trying so hard. Help!

for how mong have you been eating this way? How accurate are you in determining your calories in? Weighing everything, itemised logging, measuring only liquids, entering everything the passes your lips?

Thing is at your weight (from your previous posts it says your are 195lbs) and that large a deficit it should be dropping off quite quickly. Since you say it doesn't, then something is wrong. It's likely that you take in more and burn less, but on the off chance it might also be a medical reason, have you checked that out?