Honey or artificial sweeteners?

Options
I know this is probably a stupid question but....I can't give up my coffee yet but want to eventually, I add almond milk and honey for now but it ends up coming out to about 140 calories with those additions, would it be terrible for my health/diet if I used splenda or stevia or another 0 calorie alternative? Need some ideas to make those calories smaller.

Replies

• Tabitha_Faye
    Options
    First of all, why give up coffee? Secondly, use whichever sweetener is most satisfying and sustainable for you. I once, too, tried to eliminate sweeteners and creamers in my coffee and was absolutely miserable! Now, I realize that coffee is one of the few things that I really enjoy and love to drink. Why get rid of it? Unless you have medical reasons to restrict sugar intake, why use zero calorie sweeteners that taste like garbage? I use plain ol' granulated white sugar and half & half in my coffee and I'm still losing weight. I don't feel restricted. I keep it within my calories/macros and use it in moderation.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I know this is probably a stupid question but....I can't give up my coffee yet but want to eventually, I add almond milk and honey for now but it ends up coming out to about 140 calories with those additions, would it be terrible for my health/diet if I used splenda or stevia or another 0 calorie alternative? Need some ideas to make those calories smaller.
    Don't give up anything. Moderation is the key.

I use a teaspoon of agave nectar in amy am coffee because I love the taste. Not much on granulated sugar or honey.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    If you're drinking quality coffe, you don't need to add anything to it.

However, for the sake of discussion: Honey > artificial anything. Sweeteners are teh ****z.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Honey doesn't really work as sweetener for me. Not even fructose. So I only use artificial sweeteners or sucrose.
    I don't like Stevia since it tastes like liquorice, but anyway, artificial sweeteners are okay, most aren't used by your metabolism so unless you exceed with them you're not going to have any side effect.
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    local honey.. anything artificial is poison
  • gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    of course not. i can't do the black coffee. so sucralose, splenda, creamer, whatever. it all goes in. i eat splenda by the table spoon. i put it in my cottage cheese, greek yogurt, coffee, you name. oh man, that vanilla sucrlose coffee sweetener at the dollar tree, love it. do it up. according to the interwebs i should not be alive based on how much artificial sweetener i eat. and i have no scientific backup for anything i say. take my advise at your own risk.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    How much honey and almond milk are you adding? Almond milk has like 30 calories per 8 oz. Are you putting in 42 g of honey? Two tablespoons?

I'm not trying to be critical, I'm just double checking that you're really putting in 1/8 cup of honey.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Another vote for don't give anything up and everything in moderation.

If you like artificial sweeteners, then use them, or if not, make room in your daily calories for what you do like.

I personally like flavored creamers and I use 1 tablespoon (measured out) per cup, everyday.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    local honey.. anything artificial is poison

say what now?

ETA: like others have said....you dont have to give up ANYTHING to lose weight. not a damn thing. enjoy your coffee however youd like and make it fit into your daily allowance.
  • hurricanegirl13
    Options
    First of all, why give up coffee? Secondly, use whichever sweetener is most satisfying and sustainable for you. I once, too, tried to eliminate sweeteners and creamers in my coffee and was absolutely miserable! Now, I realize that coffee is one of the few things that I really enjoy and love to drink. Why get rid of it? Unless you have medical reasons to restrict sugar intake, why use zero calorie sweeteners that taste like garbage?

Agreed! However, I did stop using sugar because it made it nearly impossible to stay in my calorie goals (I like my coffee SWEET). I also gave up splenda, but that was because it was giving me headaches.

Now I'm trying a stevia blend. We'll see how it does with headaches... if they come back, I'll go back to straight sugar. :)
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I like both honey and Splenda (not at the same time) in my tea. It depends on how many calories I have left when I want to drink the tea.
  • hallene
    hallene Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    For me it is moderation, I limit coffee to twice a day (AM & afternoon) and use one packet of equal. During my weight loss journey I have learned the more restrictive the diet the faster I sabotage my efforts
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Go with what works for you - not sure there is really a universally better choice. I like honey in my tea, but hate the taste of it in coffee. I do 8-12 oz of coffee, one packet of splenda or sweet'n'low, and 3-4 TBS of half and half. I prefer those types of sweeteners in drinks because they dissolve better. My coffee ends up usually being an 84 calorie treat. Also, I do agree that the quality of the coffee makes a difference. I still don't like black coffee, but I find myself wanting to load the additions on much less when it's really good coffee.
  • Lizajayne23
    Lizajayne23 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I couldn't totally give up sugar in my coffee, hate artificial sweeteners used alone and I can't give up my co live without coffee so I came up with a compromise. I use half the sugar plus a packet of Truvia, plus whatever creamer blend. I keep one regular flavored creamer and one sugar free vanilla creamer on hand to use based on the calories I want to fit. They're usually 100 calories or less and I'm allowed one a day unless I feel like saving for a second night time cup.

I do the same thing with teas except I use a teaspoon of honey instead of sugar and a packet of Nectresse, then sugar free vanilla creamer. Teas only average 50 calories, thank goodness. When it's cold, I crave hot drinks so I'm trying to get the calories down as much as possible, while still being able to enjoy them.

I've been experimenting with Truvia, Nectresse, and even less sugar. For some reason, the combo of sweeteners works better than just trying to use only one. Another trick I've learned is to fix my coffee and set it aside for several minutes before drinking. As cold as it is, I do usually have to reheat it by the time I remember to drink it. LOL
  • jacklo
    jacklo Posts: 17
    Options
    I use liquid Stevia, which comes in a dropper bottle and in a variety of flavors, including hazelnut and vanilla. You can find it at just about any "organic" grocery store. By the way, the last time I researched the subject, Stevia didn't get any bad press like all the other artificial sweeteners get.

Good luck!