Salt :-) Please Read

OMGG
OMGG Posts: 44
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi All

I had a good weight loss this week that suprised me as i couldnt get to the gym last week like i usualy do.

I am SALT mad and gave it up completely last week!! adding it to my food........
Would this have made a difference
thanks

Replies

• CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Salt does cause you to retain more water. So, it is possible that your weight loss was triggered by lower water retention.
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    I would say yes since salt makes you retain water so by cutting it out, your body isn't as full of fluid. You probably lost water weight which is good too.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    ABSOLUTELY!!!! When I eat a very salty meal (which is very typical of me) I weigh 2 more pounds in the morning. Then I drink like 20 glasses of water and re-weigh the next morning. Down 4! Salt holds onto water for sure.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    It could have, not to mention when you workout your muscles store water to aid in recovery. If you did not workout last week your muscles would not need that water and would have shed it. So most likely it is all, or mostly water weight lost due to not working out and consuming less sodium.
  • OMGG
    OMGG Posts: 44
    Thanks all........ weird how you crave for things.... will see how this week goes, but one thing i will not expect a weight loss as big :-)
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    You are so right. When I am not watching my sodium I lose .4 - when I do watch my sodium I lose 1-2 lbs! I drink way more water than 8 cups a day but it does not wash away the sodium. I am now not even having canned soup because of the massive sodium in them.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    hmm... I can't tell from your original post if you used MORE salt last week or less... you said "gave it up" which I am not sure if you mean gave up the salt, or your willpower.

If you salted a bunch of things, you'd expect a water weight GAIN. If you cut it out, a loss.

Plus, it really does not matter how much you made it to the gym last week for your weight loss, really.... it has to do with your calories. If you stayed in your cal goal you should expect to lose with the gym or without. Did you have a light eating week?
  • Salt can make a huge difference. The daily recomended intake is 2000mg and I do not use salt at all anymore and just naturally end up with a daily intake of 2000-2200mg from the foods I consume in my diary. I would say that the average person out there is consuming 4-6 times the daily recommended amount and don't realize it. Also, make sure that you consume 64-80 ounces of water/day and it will help flush the toxins out of your system that were being retained due to the salt you were previously consuming. Keep up the good work!!
This discussion has been closed.