Pull Ups and Chin-ups

Options
Any ideas on how I can build myself up to doing these completely.

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a gym? There may be an assisted pull-up/chin-up machine. Lat pull downs will do it, too. By the time you're pulling your body weight or more you should be able to manage a couple.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Any ideas on how I can build myself up to doing these completely.

Negatives.
    Using resistance bands as assistance
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine just had a pull up bar in her apartment somewhere and she'd go try to pull herself up on it at random until she could do it. (took her several weeks I think, she is a small framed girl) You can also use a chair to assist yourself, and you can also do reverse pull ups... where you start in the up position and slowly lower yourself down.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,599 Member
    Options
    I start all of my clients on inverted pullups so they get used to pulling their own weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1bSeAbw5kQ

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    negative pull ups
    inverted pull ups
    lat pulldown
    bb rows
    db rows
    band pull ups
    self assited pull ups (with chair or band)

lastly is the stupid pull up assist machine- that thing is largely useless- much like knee push ups do little to help getting to full push ups- it's sort of useful- but there are (as listed) so many other ways to get to where you need to go faster.
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    This is one of my goals. To do these one day.
  • music815
    Options
    Thank you guys I will give this a try because I really think it'll help build my back. I'm going to try the negatives because I have a gym in my building! Thanks again you guys rock!
  • tmdou1
    tmdou1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    +1 for the inverted pull ups
    Also, check out this link:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/04/25/do-a-pull-up/
    :)
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I personally think that DB rows are the best way to work up to them.

They really isolate the lats so you can feel them working individually, plus they are an excellent strengthening exercise.

As you get stronger at rows, eventually you'll be able to jump up on the bar and do a pullup without issue.

Using the lats is a big problem for beginners, all of the best ways to work up to pullups really focus on feeling the lats work (inverted rows are good for this too). Beginners tend try to use way too much arm when trying to do a pull/chin, and don't lean back and engage their lats.
  • Mellyajc
    Mellyajc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Pole dancing class did it for me.
  • dsnapp3
    dsnapp3 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Good link for the nerdfitness advice. Also, the follwing is good http://www.alkavadlo.com/2010/09/16/learning-to-do-a-pull-up/