Macros for Fat Loss

2»

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    I found this video very helpful for figuring out cutting macros.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bakMu9ddQ5I
  • Karalopolous
    Karalopolous Posts: 574
    What are the optimal macros for fat loss? I was contemplating 40c/40p/20f or 40c/30p/30f?

Should I watch anything else like sugar or sodium or anything like that?

I do 40c/30p/30f

I try to limit the sugar, but if you are eating whole grain/whole wheat carbs that should help eliminate some of the sugar issue
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    1) Meet your calories for the day.

2) Meet your protein for the day. (1g/ goal weight lbs is the rule I like)

After that, ratio matters jack for weight loss. high carb, low carb, balanced carb, whatever. Long as your calories and protein needs are met, your body will take care of the rest. Read Lyle Mcdonald on this subject, goes into detail on this quite a lot. And there has yet to be a study showing 'optimal fat loss ratio' that I've seen other than the above 2 rules.

Exception being some sort of medical issue... But thats rare.

Well I'm just confused because there are several things I've gathered so far. Reduce fat intake to increase fat loss (along with calories of course).

Maintain adequate protein intake (my goal weight is 140 so im good there at 136 for today)

MFP goal on fat is very low and people have advised that women should consume around <60 g a day.

I just don't understand why MFP is setting my protein goals/carb goals so high and fat so low. Is there something I can adjust for how many calories come from fats to bump up the number? I've already set it to 40/40/20 and the numbers it spit out still don't make sense.
  • onikonor
    I found this video very helpful for figuring out cutting macros.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bakMu9ddQ5I

Watching thanks.
  • onikonor
    Well that's interesting, in the video he recommended 1/4 grams of fat per body weight which would put it closer to MFP target of 35 g. This seems so low to me.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Well that's interesting, in the video he recommended 1/4 grams of fat per body weight which would put it closer to MFP target of 35 g. This seems so low to me.

That is really a minimum you need to make sure you get your protein and fats. The rest of your calories can really be made up from carbs or a combination of more fats carbs and protein. For females 1 gram per pound for protein is not as necessary so you could calculate .8 per pound for protein and then increase fats a little.
  • onikonor

That is really a minimum you need to make sure you get your protein and fats. The rest of your calories can really be made up from carbs or a combination of more fats carbs and protein. For females 1 gram per pound for protein is not as necessary so you could calculate .8 per pound for protein and then increase fats a little.

Thans great video!
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    I think macros are important (of course) - but not the be all and end all. Depends what your training schedule is and your overall goals are I guess.

What you lack/eat less of one day, just be sure to compensate or account for it in the next.

I think your overall calories and the quality of the food you are eating is what matters most to begin with.

Could be wrong, but that's my two cents worth!
  • onikonor
    Qualify of food is very important! I completely agree with you there.

I sometimes opt for a quick canned tuna, which is definelty not as good as fresh fish but we always have to balance work, personal life, etc.

I train (cardio mostly) 6 days a week about 40-60 min and try to walk at least 30-1hour min 4-5 days a week.

I failed in the past by exercising and thinking I could eat whatever I wanted and still trim down. I'm really hoping I won't fail this time.
  • joneskaw
    joneskaw Posts: 27
    bump
  • Thanks for this information!!!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Macronutrient intake should be derived from bodyweight and body composition, not an arbitrary pre-determined percentage.
  • shirleylmartin
    shirleylmartin Posts: 68 Member
    My husband is doing the fat loss macro balance; he is doing 50p/30c/20f
  • njbh86
    njbh86 Posts: 38 Member
    Seems I did good on my ratios today even though somehow I'm off the totals assigned by MFP

MFP set to 40c/40p/20f or 169c/169p/37f

I ended up with 44c/41p/15f or 145c/136p/50f

Now my ratios are good but I'm over in grams on the fat again??? Which number is more important ratio or total grams? Help please :(

I think this is a mathsing issue because of the way the ratios relate to the grams.

The MFP ratios are how you get your calories, so 40% cals from carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat. However, it calculates carbs and protein as 4cal per g, fat as 9 cal per g (otherwise you'd expect the grams to be more along the lines of 169/169/85 which will give you FAR too much fat!). What you seem to have done is taken the grams shown in your diary and then worked out the percentages directly, which doesn't take into account the calorie balance.

If you want to work out the calorie percentage ratios accurately you should do (145*4)c/(136*4)p/(50*9)f to allow for the different calorific properties of the macros. So, calorie wise you got approx 580c/544p/450f which gives a ratio of about 37c/34.5p/28.5f and explains why your grams are over.

Thanks to everyone else in this thread btw for the good advice.
  • Where would you recommend keeping your calorie intake for someone who is 5'6'' and 146 lb female. I was also considering doing the 45, 30, 25
  • what plan are you following .....how is it going for u ?