Gain weight as soon as I 'go out for a meal'

Options
I've been doing well, losing steadily until last weekend when we were away for 24 hours. A few drinks and some nice food and the pounds were back on. I reckon its going to take me until Friday to get back to where I was before last weekend. BUT we are out to dinner again this Saturday at a friends house. So the pounds will be back on again. Do I sit there lika total bore drinking water with my meal or somehow budget for 3 glasses of wine which means I can probable only have 600 cals all day? I had lost 4 pounds in January which isnt much but I was happy with but when 2 go back on with a drop of a hat its miserable.

Replies

• steffipaulina
    Options
    It's impossible to gain weight that fast. It's most likely water retention from too much sodium.
  • kiwitechgirl
    kiwitechgirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Unless you're eating 7000 cals over maintenance, you're not putting two pounds on. What is much more likely is that it's water retention caused by excess sodium consumption; drink lots of water and it should go away. Try averaging your calories over a week not a day - so leave 100 extra for six days then you have 600 more to eat when you go out.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Unless you're eating 7000 cals over maintenance, you're not putting two pounds on. What is much more likely is that it's water retention caused by excess sodium consumption; drink lots of water and it should go away. Try averaging your calories over a week not a day - so leave 100 extra for six days then you have 600 more to eat when you go out.

Totally agree! Also you could try having one glass of water for every glass of wine to help cut down on some calories while increasing the water. Add a wedge of lemon and it doesn't feel as boring.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    It's probably either sodium intake, or it's psychological.. Don't stress about it..
  • emmaelisenl
    emmaelisenl Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I agree with what is said above, also, try going for long walks on those days to gain some more calories for that day
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to gain weight that fast. It's most likely water retention from too much sodium.

this...

plus with 10lb to lose you should only be aiming for 0.5lb per week... take pictures/measurements and worry less about the scales.
  • sophiej43kitty
    Options
    Thanks guys. I will try your advice. People re always saying you can't just put 2 pounds back on in a couple of days but I can only go off what the scales say. I think I have the slowest metabolism in the world ????
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I will try your advice. People re always saying you can't just put 2 pounds back on in a couple of days but I can only go off what the scales say. I think I have the slowest metabolism in the world ????

anyone can put on 2lb over night... but its NOT FAT... its WATER... its nothing to do with your metabolism!