Losing weight: I need a diet. And a routine. Please help!

Options
Hi guys,

I am writing here to seek some help with a weight problem. I was going to the gym and lost about 10 pounds but then I stopped going and have gained more weight then I had before I started working out. As I am now I need to lose about 100 pounds.

If someone could give me a diet plan to follow and maybe some good exercises I can do at the gym. At this point I'm not worried about building muscle I just want to lose the weight. I don't know where to start. Please help!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I would start by setting MFP up to lose 1 lb/week at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals and logging your food & drink accurately for 4 weeks eating the target calories. Open your diary for others to comment. Try to walk a minimum 5000 steps a day (get a pedometer, fitbit, phone app etc) to maintain a reasonable activity level, if you do more vigorous activity (no more than three days a week with a rest day in between) log the exercise here and eat the additional calories it offers to maintain the original deficit.

After 4 weeks you should have a good idea how that calorie intake compares to your energy expenditure and can tweak it from there.
  • Napier_mum
    Napier_mum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I would start by setting MFP up to lose 1 lb/week at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals and logging your food & drink accurately for 4 weeks eating the target calories. Open your diary for others to comment. Try to walk a minimum 5000 steps a day (get a pedometer, fitbit, phone app etc) to maintain a reasonable activity level, if you do more vigorous activity (no more than three days a week with a rest day in between) log the exercise here and eat the additional calories it offers to maintain the original deficit.

This is pretty much what I have been doing, I have started to make better choices just by being aware of how many calories are in everything (seriously, I knew but I just kind of didn't want to accept that I was eating as much crap as I was!) I got a fitbit and have found it really motivating. Only got it at the end of December and initially struggled to get 5000 steps a day. Then decided that I would do 10000 a day and now I usually get at least 15K most days. I don't do follow a special "diet" I don't really have an exercise routine other than taking a long walk every morning. So far I am losing weight pretty well. For me I knew that if I went in guns blazing and cut out all sorts of foods then I probably would cave pretty quickly. I still eat foods I want, but I now don't eat like 3000 calories worth in one day! Moderation!
  • beefy111
    Options
    Hi, try and not focus too much on it being a diet. That is the best advice I was given. Look at it as a lifestyle choice. As the poster above, advises log all food and drik over a few weeks. I have been yo-yo'ing for years with my weight, however a simple comment of saying it's a lifestyle choice rather than a diet.

I lost 4 stone using this app previously, but did not have the mindset to continue logging and it's amazing how quickly the weight goes back on.

In terms of diet plans, you know what is good for you and what is not. Cut down on breads, rolls and butter for a few weeks and log all foods & drinks. You;ll lose the weight.
  • marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Eat less, exercise more. It's an excellent diet plan. Eat at a healthy calorie deficit. Get moving every day - it doesn't have to be a fancy gym workout; a brisk 30 minute walk is fine.

I'm convinced that over-complexifying weight loss is one of the reasons people don't get started or keep with it.

I lost 101 lbs over about a year and a half. It started by making better food choices and always taking a walk on a nice day. It certainly became more rigorous than that (logging, bigger calorie deficit, more intense exercise), but that's where it started.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I was not very strict with myself during the first month; I cosistently went over my calorie goal in the beginning. Now I'm much better at it! My exercise plan was "gentle" (lots of beginner 10 minute workouts on YouTube!) so there was no chance for burnout.

OP, you don't need anyone to tell you what to eat every day, but some extra fruits and vegetables won't hurt you ;) Just keep track of everything you eat for four weeks as the poster above said, and you'll be able to look back, analyze, and make new food goals next month.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

After 4 weeks you should have a good idea how that calorie intake compares to your energy expenditure and can tweak it from there.

actually with 100lbs to go 2lbs would be fine.

As for losing weight it's all about the calorie intake. MFP will give you the calories to eat to lose the goal you have entered. weight and log your food accurately and you will lose the weight.

If you want to move more...do that too...log those activities and eat back appx 50-75% of those calories...

Easy peasy...now when you get to lets say 25lbs lost...change your goal to 1.5lbs a week...at 50lbs change it to 1lb a week 25lbs change it to 1/2lb a week rinse repeat above.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I am writing here to seek some help with a weight problem. I was going to the gym and lost about 10 pounds but then I stopped going and have gained more weight then I had before I started working out. As I am now I need to lose about 100 pounds.

If someone could give me a diet plan to follow and maybe some good exercises I can do at the gym. At this point I'm not worried about building muscle I just want to lose the weight. I don't know where to start. Please help!

Working out is really only for helping you create a calorie deficit (to some degree) and for fitness. The calorie deficit is the key to weight loss. You can still lose weight even if you don't work out at all, just by eating fewer calories than you burn each day.
    Step one: buy a food scale. Weigh ALL of your solid food. Log ALL of your solid food by weight. This will help you be very accurate in your logging and ensure that you have a calorie deficit. (measuring solid foods will lead to miscalculating of calories and a possible surplus).
    Step two: measure ALL liquids. Log ALL liquids.
    Step three: If you use MFP to calculate your calorie deficit and then log activity, don't eat back all of your exercise calories. MFP tends to overestimate calorie burns. If you want be more accurate, buy a good quality heart rate monitor with a chest strap. Otherwise, go to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and calculate your TDEE, subtract some calories to create a deficit to lose 1-2 lbs per week, and don't eat back exercise calories.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Fork put-downs and Table push-aways seem to work well for most.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Don't think in terms of a diet. Diets are temporary, unsustainable, guilt-inducing, binge-producing aberrations. Instead, think of yourself having a new and healthier lifestyle and relationship with food and your body. You really can eat anything you like. Its all about portion control, making healthy choices, and living more consciously. MFP is a wonderful tool to help you do that. Take yourself on as a work in progress and make small changes every day that help you get where you want to go. You can do this!
  • TimeForChange92
    TimeForChange92 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow guys thanks for all the reply's I will definitely try and worry less about a diet and more about just eating better and have more portion control. I think I will start by taking walks everyday. I enjoy the outdoors anyway so this shouldn't be too difficult.

Thanks again for all your suggestions and keep them coming if you have more!
  • TimeForChange92
    Options
    So I've bought a scale to weigh all my foods, did a "healthy" grocery shop today. Lots of chicken lol. I hope that's alright for losing weight. I have also been hitting the gym everyday since friday. Hopefully I can stick to this. Wish me luck!

Edit: Drinking mostly water and skim milk now as well.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You don't need a diet "plan" as long as you eat with a calorie deficit, and MFP will provide you with that when you set up your goals.
  • TimeForChange92
    Options
    You don't need a diet "plan" as long as you eat with a calorie deficit, and MFP will provide you with that when you set up your goals.

Yea I haven't been going over. Usually have about 500 calories to spare. But now that I have the scale I think my entries will be a lot more accurate.
  • jd1208
    jd1208 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for low calorie/ fat recipe ideas bbc good food has a lot of good ones. That's my go to website for choosing nice recipes that don't take up too much of my calories allowance. I try to eat small portions of whatever I want and bulk it up with salad. It's the most sustainable diet plan.

Good simple ideas are omelettes, tuna steaks with side salad.

Today I had a baked potato with caramelised onion and mushroom topping. Really nice, filling and under 500 calories. :)
  • TimeForChange92
    Options
    If you are looking for low calorie/ fat recipe ideas bbc good food has a lot of good ones. That's my go to website for choosing nice recipes that don't take up too much of my calories allowance. I try to eat small portions of whatever I want and bulk it up with salad. It's the most sustainable diet plan.

Good simple ideas are omelettes, tuna steaks with side salad.

Today I had a baked potato with caramelised onion and mushroom topping. Really nice, filling and under 500 calories. :)

Thanks, I'll have to check it out.
  • m1ke1984
    Options
    I never do the weights because I am nowhere near my weightloss goal and I think it makes sense to see what a fit version of me looks like before I start spending time on weights. It sounds from your OP like you agree.

When I use the cardio machines (eliptical is far and away my favorite), I do not look at the time, I look at the calories burned. In my opinion, I would try to use the machine for a least a couple hundred calories if you can (or have that as a goal). My caloric goals increased over time, which was really fun to see the number go up. Messing with the resistance on the eliptical can significantly increase the calories burned without feeling like a ton more work in my opinion. Just increase it over time at the pace that feels right to you.

Also, for me, watching funny television while I work out adds a lot of value to the experience. The gym I go to has an individual tv on each machine and I always put on comedy. It makes me happy and distracts me from feeling like I am doing any work.

I hope this helps and good luck!
  • TimeForChange92
    Options

Thanks that was a good read!
  • TimeForChange92
    Options
    I never do the weights because I am nowhere near my weightloss goal and I think it makes sense to see what a fit version of me looks like before I start spending time on weights. It sounds from your OP like you agree.

When I use the cardio machines (eliptical is far and away my favorite), I do not look at the time, I look at the calories burned. In my opinion, I would try to use the machine for a least a couple hundred calories if you can (or have that as a goal). My caloric goals increased over time, which was really fun to see the number go up. Messing with the resistance on the eliptical can significantly increase the calories burned without feeling like a ton more work in my opinion. Just increase it over time at the pace that feels right to you.

Also, for me, watching funny television while I work out adds a lot of value to the experience. The gym I go to has an individual tv on each machine and I always put on comedy. It makes me happy and distracts me from feeling like I am doing any work.

I hope this helps and good luck!

I'm doing about 20-30 minutes cardio and then weights for another 20 - 30. After talking to some people and reading up on some things, lifting weights will help you lose weight as muscle burns fat. (Don't quote me)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    When you are losing weight, you are likely to lose both muscle as well as fat. The amount of muscle you lose can be limited by choosing a moderate deficit, eating enough protein, and a progressive lifting program. It is much easier to maintain the muscle you have than to try and build muscle after the fact.