Cardio and muscle gain, yes or no?

Options
Ok before anyone says, this has been asked before I couldn't find the answer I need regarding cardio classes that involves a LOT of push ups, sit ups, lunges, squats... Does this build muscle - just using your own body weight?

i.e Body Attack - while it involves a lot of running about, jumping jacks and so on, there are tracks that you just do push ups with different variations, a track for core, a track for squats and lunges etc. Then there is different types Metafit where it focuses on HIIT - again, push ups, jump squats, burpees, lunges etc.

Does this make you gain muscle or not?

The only reason I ask, is I do these classes 3-5 times a week - just upped them recently and would probably be about 5 just now. And just lately stopped losing weight (I prep healthy lunches, have homemade soups, eat veg, chicken). I am neither gaining weight, just staying the same - just wandered if this could be due to muscle gain? Or not.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Those sound more like Circuit training and no they wont add msucle they will however build strength.

If you are not losing weight you are eating at maintenance. Meaning you are eating more than you think.

I did take a look at your diary and it looks like you don't weigh your food or log everything...there are days with 300cal and days with nothing.
  • dxc92
    dxc92 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks. I do log most days - there are a couple days I will not log as I'm busy doing other things. But during the week I always log now.

If you build strength is that not the same as muscle? I thought muscle was strength.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary you're either not eating anywhere near as much as you should, or you're not logging everything you eat.

If it's the former, you simply need up your calories. Pack your meals and snacks with protein and good fats, e.g. nuts, avocado, eggs, lean chicken/turkey.

You need to make sure you're eating AT LEAST calories for BMR - this is the number of calories your body needs to function - you MUST not eat below this level or you will be doing more harm than good. There are loads of online calculators so you can work it out. From there you can calculate your TDEE, which is the number of calories your body needs to maintain weight, based on your lifestyle. Exercising 5 times a week you would be considered moderately active. Depending on your height and weight your TDEE could be anything from 1800-2500, or maybe more/less (I am unable to give an accurate estimate as I don't know your height and weight). Once you know your TDEE, reduce the calories by 500 to result in weekly fat loss of 1lb. You should look at losing no more than 1-2lbs a week, but again that depends on your weight.

If you're eating less than BMR you run the risk of your metabolism slowing down, causing you to retain calories each time you eat, resulting in weight gain. Believe it or not - sometimes you need to eat more to lose more. I am beginning to learn that myself!

If you're simply not logging what you eat, start to! It's a really good way of monitoring what you eat. A lot of people vastly underestimate what they eat and how much, and the calories associated. I used to think a large plate of wholegrain rice and chicken was really good for me, which is if you have a normal portion - which I wasn't. Basically, you may think what you're eating is healthy and you are not eating many calories but the opposite may be true. Try and weigh everything you eat to give accurate results - 62.5g of uncooked rice weighed is not the same amount as I imagined 62.5g to look like.

Perhaps look at alternative classes too. Kettlercise is one of my personal favourites and it is a quality workout and uses strength exercises using kettlebells. Body pump is also good as it utilises bar bells, which you can slowly add weight as you build muscle and get stronger. If you want to build muscle, perhaps stick to 2-3 classes a week and focus on strength training in the gym on the other days.

Hope that helps!
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If you build strength is that not the same as muscle? I thought muscle was strength.

You can be strong without being 'muscly'
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Ok thanks. I do log most days - there are a couple days I will not log as I'm busy doing other things. But during the week I always log now.

Logging is critical for weight loss, weighing food on a scale and choosing correct entries.

Strength<>muscle...to build muscle you have to eat at a surplus....what typically happens is you are losing fat so you see the muscles you have.

I prelog in the morning...typically everything but the leftover calories which I decide after supper. This is recent for me and it makes lift easier.

As well...you can eat below your BMR and your body wont hold calories...if you are eating below maitenance you will lose weight...the amount below defines how much.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If you've got very little muscle and you nutrition etc is appropriate, then it could do.

But you still need to consider calories in vs calories out for weight loss.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    If you've got very little muscle and you nutrition etc is appropriate, then it could do.

But you still need to consider calories in vs calories out for weight loss.

when you look at her diary you know the nutrition is not there...
  • dxc92
    Options
    Now I'm getting confused - so you're saying you can have strength without having muscle? Don't believe that for one second, sorry... If I'm wrong feel free to explain to me so I can understand where you're coming from.

Yeh I eat pretty low calories, and I do try to up them which I have been finding hard as I always feel full and don't wanna force food down when I'm not hungry for it :/ I have already thought god could be part of the problem but I really can't force myself.

Lamps thank you for the advice that was brilliant! I have done body pump and kettlercise before (kettlercise being my favourite). They are definitely fab classes and my gym do offer them so it's a possibility I may take kettlercise up again soon :) as for body pump, it always leave me with cramp in my foot so I have to stop for a bit then when I start again the cramp comes back. Don't have a clue what it is! That's the only thing that made me stop the classes.

All I really wanna know is, will those classes be gaining muscle?
  • dxc92
    Options
    omg... To my above comment - I did not mean to say GOD could be part of the problem lol not even religious. I meant to say THIS could be part of the problem..
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If people don't particularly 'use' their muscle then you can get strength gains as your body 'learns' to use it better without an increase in muscle mass.
    This is one of the ways that new 'lifters improve the weights they are lifting while losing weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

no
  • apercrumbie2
    Options
    Well if you had very little muscle then you probably will be putting some on. Strength does often equal muscle, but not always and particularly not with women.

For example, look at a professional ballerina. Despite practising one of the most physically demanding sports they still have to be very lithe, long and lean. They do have a lot of muscle but they don't look hench. The same goes for gymnasts - very lean but ridiculously strong.

As I said before, you probably are putting on some muscle if you didn't have much to start with. But it won't be a huge amount of muscle.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Now I'm getting confused - so you're saying you can have strength without having muscle? Don't believe that for one second, sorry...

In answer to your questions above:

1) Yes, you can increase strength without increasing muscle. It's called neuro-muscular adapatation. Essentially your existing muscle mass has an untapped ability to handle an increased load with the assistance of your central nervous system with training which does not require increased muscle. There will come a point however that you cannot see additional strength gains without physically adding more muscle.

2) Possible but it's unlikely you will add much if anything (people new to training may see a short term increase even in the face of a calorie deficit but this a short term phenomenon and not so much that it becomes apparent on your frame - that is more likely temporary fluid retention / inflammation from exercise.)
  • dxc92
    Options
    Now I'm getting confused - so you're saying you can have strength without having muscle? Don't believe that for one second, sorry...

In answer to your questions above:

1) Yes, you can increase strength without increasing muscle. It's called neuro-muscular adapatation. Essentially your existing muscle mass has an untapped ability to handle an increased load with the assistance of your central nervous system with training which does not require increased muscle. There will come a point however that you cannot see additional strength gains without physically adding more muscle.

2) Possible but it's unlikely you will add much if anything (people new to training may see a short term increase even in the face of a calorie deficit but this a short term phenomenon and not so much that it becomes apparent on your frame - that is more likely temporary fluid retention / inflammation from exercise.)

Thanks for clearing that up for me - interesting!
  • dxc92
    Options

no

Perfect