Gym Etiquette

Options
My husband and I just joined a gym to start doing SL 5x5 workout. I have never really done heavy lifting so joined the gym to have access to the proper equipment and the cage. We arrived and it was pretty quiet in the weights area of the gym, and the rack with the bar was available. Our plan was for one of us to do a set, then switch as we are both starting at the same weight. We'd use that time when the other person was doing their set as our rest period. From reading online it says that the SL 5x5 workout should take between 30-45 minutes, and since we were both using the equipment we thought no one would really bother us over our time.

Now, since I'm new to this lifting is there a limit for how long someone can use certain equipment? The gym I go to is very large, there are 2 cages and tons of other bars to use. There was a guy that came over to us not long after we started and asked how long we'd be, we said we'd just started and could let him know when we were done. We were just finishing up our second exercise (the bench press) and that guy just came over and hovered by us staring while we were trying to do our lifts. Being a heavy weight newbie I got a little self concious and said to my husband that we should just leave the cage (even though we hadn't finished our workout and we hadn't even been using it for that long...maybe about 20 minutes by that time). Was this guy just being a jerk to us or did I disobey some not well known rule about how long you should use equipment?

I'm hoping this doesn't happen again as I don't really want to confront anyone on this, but I really felt pressured to cave.

Replies

• hoopylass
    hoopylass Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you are working out and not sitting about on equipment (hate the muscle heads that do that) then your entitled to do your workout. If it's busy then yeah maybe cut it down a bit. I wouldn't worry too much chick x
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    It is what it is, that guy probably goes that same time routinely because there is nobody else there at that time and wasn't expecting to have to wait. His loss, don't let it bother you. You have every right to be there and finish your sets as long as you aren't wasting time. If he really wanted in, he could have asked to jump in between your sets.

the other side of that coin is, if you're going to be on a limited resource at the gym for an extended period, expect it to take extra time because you are expected to share the equipment and that means changing out the weights because of others. Especially if you're tying it up for a 1/2 hour or more. Not that it's a bad thing, you just need to be aware that others may want the same equipment and there's no reason (other than added time) not to allow them to jump in for their reps while you're in your recovery.

Bottom line, be courteous, offer him to jump in during your recovery, but don't let anyone scare/intimidate you out of your sets. You have as much right to that equipment as anyone, and a gym is first come first served.

I don't do 5X5 so I don't know the timing, but a piece of advice is to set up your workout so that you are rotating through different pieces, doing active recovery (I.E. work unrelated body areas in tandem, which give others the chance to use equipment while you are still working).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym but when I did my thoughts were this.

Use the equipment for what you need.

Since there were two of you when you were done with the squats you didn't need the cage...

Benching with a spotter (esp your husband) could be done outside the cage.

He on the other hand was alone and did require it...I take it the other cage was busy too?
  • lindsayvernon
    lindsayvernon Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    SHBoss1673 - when I was doing my rest my husband was doing his set of reps. So the equpiment was always being used by two people, it wasn't just me on my own. But the times that I might be alone at the gym and someone is waiting I will take your advice and see if they want to rotate their sets between mine.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    What you did was fine. He could have asked to work in, if he was in a hurry. I take well over an hour once I get a squat rack to myself. IDGAF. :ohwell:
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You're already working together, so let other people work in if they want to, provided they're willing to help you set up the weight you're working with and you're willing to do the same for them.

When you start using heavier weights, you'll need a longer rest period than the amount of time one other person is doing their set anyway, so it doesn't hurt to start now. You can honestly have 4 maybe 5 people rotating sets and not see any issue with rest when the weight gets heavy for you, and changing out weights with people will help keep you warm.

That said, if they don't want to work in then don't worry about it.

ETA: Don't bother benching inside the cage. Use an open bench, or ask to work in on one. There's zero reason to bench in the cage when you're working out with someone, because you have a spotter and the weight is obviously light at this stage.
  • procrastinatra
    procrastinatra Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    No problem, first come, first served. But the best reply when someone asks you how much you have left is to answer the number of sets. Then we can figure out whether to wait or come up with a different routine for the day. Good luck with the lifting! :)
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I am pretty new like you and my husband and I are doing pretty much the exact same thing you are. He's the experienced one so it's more like I have a personal trainer and he has a poor spotter haha.

From what he told me, people get annoyed when you use the squat rack (I'm assuming thats the cage?) for other lifts since there is other equipment that you can use and not really anywhere else to squat.

Also, compound lifts like squats or deadlifts should be done first because heavy compound lifts will fry your central nervous system (my husband is super pumped about me lifting so he talks a lot). I'm assuming the guy was just irritated that he had to wait to do his squats.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    If the equipment was constantly in use....
    Then he can wait.....

Happens to me a lot....so I just find an alternative exercise......
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I agree w/ the lady that posted above me.

If you are doing squats in the rack/cage....then that is fine.

But if you are doing bench press, then I would let the rack go, and find a bench....
    Since it sounds like there was plenty of benches, but only 2 cages.

So if you are doing SL
    Which is basically squats, bench, dead lifts, OHPs....
    Then just use the cage for doing squats.....
    When done, clean up and move on.

Do your bench presses on a bench.
    Do your OHPs on the shoulder press setup.....
    And find an open area of the gym to do your Dead lifts.

But that gets a lot of people upset if you are using the cage/squat rack to do bicep curls. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MisterBusy
    MisterBusy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have a limited amount of time at the gym. We get maybe 60~90 minutes for 1 day a week when the kids are being watched over by the grandparents and then whatever either one of us can squeeze in during the evenings, leaving the other partner at home.

Because of that, we have to be flexible. The gym is a shared resource and we try to keep as busy as we can. If we can't get the "good" bikes we want, we go and use another one, or do some other cardio exercise.

Same on the weights and weight machines. Some people will easily burn all of their time on the weights, probably because out of gym they go running, etc. So we dip in and off of machines as they become available and free-weight stuff I can do with my set at home. Our gym is small and busy, but a lot of the machines are doubled up, or there are multi-function machines that serve multiple purposes.

I guess the point is, you have to share and that guy was wasting his own time waiting around for you to finish. That's up to him and as long as you weren't playing tag-team or sitting on the machine idol for long periods (10~15 min's?) then he should have busied himself elsewhere. If he wants to sit and watch you exercise, well more fool him!... But on the flip side, don't expect to have any piece of equipment for any fixed amount of time. Be flexible and keep yourself busy. ;)
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Quit hogging the equpment.
  • MityMax96
    Options

I guess the point is, you have to share and that guy was wasting his own time waiting around for you to finish. That's up to him and as long as you weren't playing tag-team or sitting on the machine idol for long periods (10~15 min's?) then he should have busied himself elsewhere. If he wants to sit and watch you exercise, well more fool him!... But on the flip side, don't expect to have any piece of equipment for any fixed amount of time. Be flexible and keep yourself busy. ;)

but at the same time.
    If they are doing their bench press sets, and there are open benches.
    Then they should move to those and free up the squat rack.....
    being courteous goes both ways.

While you can do bench presses in a squat rack/cage......
    You can't really do squats on a bench.....

So to the OP.
    Does the gym have Multiple benches??
    While only having 2 squat racks
  • London1990
    London1990 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used to go to a gym that was really busy during the lunch hour and mornings so they had settings on the cardio machines that timed out after 20 mins. I would say that as long as you are actually using the equipment (as someone above said, it's so annoying when someone is using the machine you want just to sit!) and you are being reasonable with the amount of time you spend, then you are fine. If the gym was really busy and he literally had no other choice of equipment to use, then I would say more than 20 mins is being unfair to others.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    As others have said, no need for the cage for benching.

Actually, no need really for the cage for squats.

However, if this guy was in a hurry while you two were still squatting, he scould/should have asked to work in.
  • lindsayvernon
    lindsayvernon Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The guy that was waiting for the squat rack didn't even do squats, he wanted it for the OHP (I'm guessing he wanted it more for the bar since it was the olympic bar). I completely get not hogging equipment, and I do understand being able to move out of the rack for other exercises...it was more the fact that he just stood there watching us while we were trying to get our own workout in. I felt pressured to get finished up, and I'm just starting so I don't want to push myself to hard and regret it later. The gym we are going to is a 24 hour one, so we are thinking that we will go at a less busy time and try to avoid this happening to us again.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    If you're tying up a piece of equipment for a set or two, that's one thing. If longer, I think you need to work with others. He may have a place he needs to go to. The "I was here first, you'll just have to wait " attitude that some have can bite you in the *kitten*. Just offer to work him in. No big deal. Plus, you may make a new friend.....
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options

Ummm. I don't squat nearly as much as some people but what I do squat I can't pick up off the floor over my head to get to my back. Or do you mean to use the squat rack instead of the cage?
  • mtpage04
    mtpage04 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You're already working together, so let other people work in if they want to, provided they're willing to help you set up the weight you're working with and you're willing to do the same for them.

When you start using heavier weights, you'll need a longer rest period than the amount of time one other person is doing their set anyway, so it doesn't hurt to start now. You can honestly have 4 maybe 5 people rotating sets and not see any issue with rest when the weight gets heavy for you, and changing out weights with people will help keep you warm.

That said, if they don't want to work in then don't worry about it.

ETA: Don't bother benching inside the cage. Use an open bench, or ask to work in on one. There's zero reason to bench in the cage when you're working out with someone, because you have a spotter and the weight is obviously light at this stage.

This is great advise and great gym etiquette. Well said.
  • Greytfish
    Options

Ummm. I don't squat nearly as much as some people but what I do squat I can't pick up off the floor over my head to get to my back. Or do you mean to use the squat rack instead of the cage?

Yes, I meant using the squat rack instead, since, in this instance they didn't need the cage for the remaining lifts. I'm not saying they needed to accommodate the rude guy.