i want to cry

Options
Hello guys!
I feel horrible. I sticked to my diet of eating 1200-1400 calories per day and exercising at least 3 times a week for three weeks. This week, after losing a mere 1-2lbs, I binged 3 days straight. I feel disgusted with myself and don't know what to do. Every time I tell myself that this is going to be the last time I binge. But then, when I see myself in the mirror, I feel like I'm never going to get skinnier and give up...and binge. I don't know what to do to stick to this new healthy lifestyle and not give up.
Tonight I had a whole packet of mini chip ahoy, steak, fries, 4 slices of bread. I feel sick and feel like I ruined everything and I just cried for an hour (I don't usually cry) I am in the worst emotional state ever.

Replies

• Fiery_Vixen
    Fiery_Vixen Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    You have to remember, its perfectly normal to only lose 1-2 lbs a week, especially when your exercising as well. When you exercise you're building up muscle along with losing fat. That muscle you're building up weighs more than fat, making it seem in the beginning like you're not making any progress when really you are. YOU MUST KEEP TELLING YOURSELF THIS!!!
  • littlecely
    littlecely Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hey PB,

Binging makes people feel horrible, believe me I know the feeling. But you know I think what affects how you feel is also the unrealistic standards people widely believe about proper weight loss.

Losing 1-2lbs is actually great and the healthiest amount you should lose. If you lose more than that a week there is a good chance you are losing muscle tissue as well. If you lose muscle, losing weight after a while is much much harder. You will become weaker and ultimately less strong.

The slow pace can be frustrating, I know. We want to lose weight NOW! I personally tried dieting by eating less than 1000 calories a day before i joined fitness pal, and I exercised everyday. I was losing weight but instead of feeling healthy and full of energy, I was always tired and weak. I wanted to do nothing but sleep. And thats because I didn´t have enough calories to carry me through the day.

I had to accept that to be HEALTHY, not just thinner, but healthy, I needed to eat properly and exercise smartly. Cardio one day, a bit of strength training the next. You need your body to adjust to your exercise as well. So three times a week is great.

And one last little tip. You can have a free day. Take one day out of the week (Sunday for example), where you can eat what you want. Don´t go overboard and eat everything all day. But don´t restrict yourself as much. This is to trick your body, letting it know that you have plenty to eat and aren´t going to starve anytime soon. When we eat too few calories our body goes into starvation mode and starts storing fat instead of getting rid of it. That is why we have the 1200-1400 cal diet.

1-2lbs is great. you want to lose FAT not body mass.

Long reply I know but I think the more informed you are the easier it might be to accept the sometimes slow pace that comes with getting healthy.

I wish you luck and a good cry is good every now and then. Just don´t be discouraged.
  • echoecho11
    echoecho11 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better loosing 1-2 lbs. means that you lost 3500-7000 calories! Your binging probably wasn't as high as that so you haven't lost all your progress!!! You're doing very well, it takes time to learn the lessons of dieting, and it is very much a mind game.

Your binge might have also happened because you're very hungry?? Maybe you need to set your daily goal higher by 100 cals. I did this and it really settled the hunger. You will still loose weight, and probably faster as the binging would be not as bad!

Anyway you persisted for 3 whole weeks, and only fell of the horse for 3 days! You should feel proud of yourself, that you gave commitment to stick it out that long. And then get back on that horse! Eating the food you have in the last few days is nowhere near as bad as your making yourself feel about it. There is no need to beat yourself up.
  • BookRat
    BookRat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    A binge doesn't 'ruin' anything...we all have lapses of willpower. Just forgive yourself for having a little set back and carry on with the healthy regime. You've already lost weight, so you know you can do it!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I consider myself right on track if I lose one pound per week. You need to be patient and accept that this is a long-term process.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try to focus on being healthy and fit instead of 'skinnier', that way weight loss is just a byproduct.

As others have said losing 1-2lbs is a good rate of loss.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Hi. So sorry you are feeling so low. I have felt like this before! Actually , as people have said, the loss you are seeing is good. It does take time to lose the weight so you need to be more patient. Having said that, when you exercise you need to eat back the calories you have burned. It may be that you are feeling the need to binge because your body needs an extra bit of fuel i.e you are not eating enough. If you are losing 1-2lbs a week anyway then you shouldn't worry so much.
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you have 4.4 kg to lose.

You have previously posted that you weigh 121 pounds - a healthy weight.

You have a history of bingeing and purging.

This is an eating disorder and you really need to seek professional help asap.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    We all go through the same thing on some level. If you keep trying you will reach a day when you have the self control to stick to your diet. It's a part of the adjustment to the new you. If you give up, you will never get to the place you want to be. So you gave in one day? Who cares, today is a new day to try again. Don't give up.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    You haven't ruined everything - Don't be so harsh on yourself

Get back on the wagon and move on from it!!!

Don't lose sleep over it.........I used too, I don't now!!
  • thesimsisters
    thesimsisters Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Your diary has you down as some days eating less than 400 calories?!! Is that correct! Because if that is accurate, you really are having an unhealthy relationship with food restricting and binging. I agree with seeing a professional to help you.