Exercise 5-6 x a week, eat 1400kcal - GAINING weight??

Options
I've been on a new fitness and nutrition regime for just under 4 weeks but I am not seeing any weight loss - in fact when I weigh myself in the gym it says I'm gaining weight.

I'm 5'3" and around 124lbs

I restrict myself to 1400 calories a day - my TDEE is around 1900 so have 500 calorie deficit for 1lb fat loss a week.

My workout schedule is as follows:
Monday - strength training (shoulders and biceps)
Tuesday - fitness class (or rest if I go Thursday)
Wednesday - strength training (AM) (back and triceps) and fitness class (PM)
Thursday - fitness class (or rest if I go Tuesday)
Friday - strength training (legs and glutes)
Weekend - strength training (usually abs) and one rest day
I always start and finish each workout with 5-10 mins on the bike - I am restricted with time as I go to the gym before work so not always able to fit in more cardio, hence the classes.

I don't generally input my workouts into mfp as calculating calories burned during strength training isn't easy.

I know muscle weighs more than fat and there is usually water retention in the first few weeks but is it really right that I'm gaining around 0.2kg each time I weight myself (2-3 times a week)?? Maybe I'm just being impatient???

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    .2lbs is not a lot...it takes appx 3 weeks for the body to get used to a new exercise regime etc.

but it's hard to really say as your diary is closed.

You could be eating more than you think.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    My question is this do you want to lose weight or do you want to slim and tone? these are 2 very different things. I work out similar to you I don't use scales as they are useless at measuring progress take measurements I bet you've lost inches.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Probably you are eating more calories than you think.1400 calories every day for 3 weeks would result in some weight loss even with zero physical activity.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    My question is this do you want to lose weight or do you want to slim and tone? these are 2 very different things. I work out similar to you I don't use scales as they are useless at measuring progress take measurements I bet you've lost inches.

This!!!!!
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

I want to lost body fat and tone. I don't have access to skin callipers or anything so I'm unable to track BF%. I am taking photos and measurements and noticing a difference in muscle mass in my upper body - it's my stomach and 'love handles' which I HATE! I guess I may be too impatient. I will take measurements again in the next couple of weeks and see if there is a difference.
  • lamps1303
    Options
    Probably you are eating more calories than you think.1400 calories every day for 3 weeks would result in some weight loss even with zero physical activity.

I weigh all my food (wherever possible) religiously. Obviously it's much harder when I'm eating out or at other people's house but I estimate as much as possible, e.g. 1 chicken breast, 1.5 potatoes, etc. But generally in the week I weigh EVERYTHING so I know exactly the calories I'm eating
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    dont weight yourself that often, theres a wonderfull thing called measure tape.

my weight goes up and down (cause of that i weighed myself for two weeks each day), in the end i lost weight, but lookin at it daily it went up...and up...and up...and then down...and up and down...and down...and again up.... but lookin at it monthly, it went down.

my cm's were goin down each week tho.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    It's very possibly you are retaining water/glycogen from beginning a new fitness regime.

Are you using a food scale and weighing and measuring all of your food? Are you logging accurately and honestly? Including condiments and things like cream for your coffee? Often times we are eating more than we think we are.

Have you taken any measurements?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I want to lost body fat and tone. I don't have access to skin callipers or anything so I'm unable to track BF%. I am taking photos and measurements and noticing a difference in muscle mass in my upper body - it's my stomach and 'love handles' which I HATE! I guess I may be too impatient. I will take measurements again in the next couple of weeks and see if there is a difference.

There is your answer. Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're seeing that you're getting more muscle definition, that's the reason for you not losing weight at first.
  • EdMInOKC
    Options
    You're not counting something correctly. If you know your calorie intake is correct than your credit for calorie burning is incorrect or you need to lower your total calories for the day. Like anything allow for a +-25% error rate. If after 7 days you have gained weight you need to eat less or exercise more - it's as easy as that. I use the flex to help me get an idea of how many calories I'm burning. I often get a 400 calorie credit in Myfitnesspal. I don't think the 400 calorie credit is accurate. If I work out twice as much in one day and add an additional 400 calories, I would gain weight..
  • lamps1303
    Options
    You're not counting something correctly. If you know your calorie intake is correct than your credit for calorie burning is incorrect or you need to lower your total calories for the day. Like anything allow for a +-25% error rate. If after 7 days you have gained weight you need to eat less or exercise more - it's as easy as that. I use the flex to help me get an idea of how many calories I'm burning. I often get a 400 calorie credit in Myfitnesspal. I don't think the 400 calorie credit is accurate. If I work out twice as much in one day and add an additional 400 calories, I would gain weight..

That's why I generally don't input my exercise into MFP because I cant guarantee it's correct so just stick to 1400kcals, regardless of whether I'm training
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Well, if you're doing everything correctly then I dont know what else to tell ya:ohwell:
    Talk to a doctor...I guess..

edit to add:

why ARE you trying to lose weight, your BMI is way in to the healthy range, dont concentrate on weightloss just tone your body like you stated and leave the scale alone...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Open your diary.
  • lamps1303
    Options
    Well, if you're doing everything correctly then I dont know what else to tell ya:ohwell:
    Talk to a doctor...I guess..

edit to add:

why ARE you trying to lose weight, your BMI is way in to the healthy range, dont concentrate on weightloss just tone your body like you stated and leave the scale alone...

Not trying to lose weight as such - I want to reduce body fat. I don't necessarily want to bulk up either but was advised to lift weights in order to burn more fat. That's why I'm getting concerned about the number on the scales. I would like to lose around 12lbs but that may not be possible.
  • lamps1303
    Options
    Open your diary.

Open now - code is 130390.
    Don't want everyone to be able to view it!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    You've been logging for about 2.5 weeks, and during that time there are incomplete diary entries.

You're also clearly not weighing everything, because I see a lot of entries for "1 medium banana" and multiple entries for apples that are all the same weight, etc. Also there are peanut butter entries that appear to be guesstimations (peanut butter is something that you really need to weigh accurately because it's so incredibly calorie-dense; this trips up a lot of people).

So your plan should be: religious weigh everything and log absolutely everything from now on. Your food history is too short and spotty to suggest any specific changes.
  • lamps1303
    Options
    You've been logging for about 2.5 weeks, and during that time there are incomplete diary entries.

You're also clearly not weighing everything, because I see a lot of entries for "1 medium banana" and multiple entries for apples that are all the same weight, etc. Also there are peanut butter entries that appear to be guesstimations (peanut butter is something that you really need to weigh accurately because it's so incredibly calorie-dense; this trips up a lot of people).

So your plan should be: religious weigh everything and log absolutely everything from now on. Your food history is too short and spotty to suggest any specific changes.

I started logging fairly recent I understand. With things like bananas, I measure them based on the guides for small, medium and large. I always buy apples from the same shop and values are according to their website - perhaps I should weigh each apple. With regards to peanut butter, I use 1 teaspoon per slice (bread/ryvita) which is 1/3 of a tablespoon, so while I don't weigh PB I certainly measure it out.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I started logging fairly recent I understand. With things like bananas, I measure them based on the guides for small, medium and large. I always buy apples from the same shop and values are according to their website - perhaps I should weigh each apple. With regards to peanut butter, I use 1 teaspoon per slice (bread/ryvita) which is 1/3 of a tablespoon, so while I don't weigh PB I certainly measure it out.

You should weigh that peanut butter. There are dozens of threads on MFP from people who decided to weigh "1 tbsp" of peanut butter and found that it's more like 1.5. Pretty big difference in calories.

Weigh everything, and log everything. That includes peanut butter and fruit.
  • lamps1303
    Options

You should weigh that peanut butter. There are dozens of threads on MFP from people who decided to weigh "1 tbsp" of peanut butter and found that it's more like 1.5. Pretty big difference in calories.

Ok will do - thanks
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Ok will do - thanks
    Jonnythan is spot on, and also the people who have said that you are retaining water from your exercise regimen. I hold onto about 4 pounds of water from my weight workouts, and I've been doing them for a year. It just adds to the number on the scale; it doesn't mean anything, so just ignore it. And definitely don't stop the exercise to get rid of it! Strength training will help you retain muscle mass while you are losing weight. If you are truly in a calorie deficit, eventually the weight will begin to come down.