TOM, women only.

Options
Hey ladies, I know generally that we gain a little bit of weight during our TOM, but i feel like this month my gain is excessive. It has me completely down in the dumps. I haven't 'cheated' on my eating. I've been working out etc. nothing has changed in my routine, whatsoever. At the beginning of the week I weighed in at 164lbs which was an all-time low for me. THEN, i was graced with my TOM and i've been holding steady at 170 all week!!! 170? +6lbs? isn't that a little excessive. Maybe i'm just a whiner, BUT, when you workout for 2 hours a day and resist all temptations, even if it is a temporary gain (hoping it is) it's HARD to see that high number again. I've worked so hard and I can't believe i've hit so high again right now.

How long does the TOM gain stay around for?? Does it generally stay around until the cycle is complete, or what? I've never really noticed before, and have never had a +6 gain from it. Argh, please tell me this is temporary. I'm so in the dumps :(

Replies

• tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Just keep drinking your water to flush out your system. You could take some dandelion root to get rid of some of the bloating but you really need to up your water intake if you do so. Here is some information on it: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/dandelion-000236.htm.

I hope this helps. :happy:
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    thanks. I haven't really been drinking water. I guess I figured i was bloated enough as it is without adding more water to retain, lol. I'll try to drink more this week.
  • Harris_C
    Harris_C Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I gained a net of 5 pounds over 10 days with my recent TOM. It ended yesterday and I'm back at the weight I was at before the weight gain began.
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    never weigh yourself at TOM(not saying that you can't but it gets discouraging.). You retain some water during this time. Sorry not a chick but I read this all the time.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    thanks. I haven't really been drinking water. I guess I figured i was bloated enough as it is without adding more water to retain, lol. I'll try to drink more this week.

Most people think this and it is actually the opposite. If you don't drink enough water then your body starts storing whatever it can muster and it makes things worse. Keep a bottle of water at your side at all times. Just take sips throughout the day and refill when it is empty.

Keep your chin up . . . you got this, girl! :happy:
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    once i even gained ten lbs during my TOM. its very temporary as long as you drink lots of water during the weight should all come off a day or two after the whole cycle is done. i personally dont weigh myself during my TOM because all it does is piss me off and its not accurate to your normal weight anyway. dont worry, it'll go away again.
  • blel0906
    Options
    Sounds like water retention...have you been eating a lot of salty or processed foods? I started on MFP the day after TOM..Just started it yesterday again..last 2 days have not been my greatest! .Weight didn't fluctuate this month but kind of hoping I see a couple more lbs drop off when its over...

Try to stay on track...drink lots of water...
  • sapphireeyze
    Options
    Hi, I go through the same every month like clock work. I gain between 4-5 pounds and it lasts until a day after my cycle is completely over. Try and relax and enjoy a piece of dark chocolate or 4 oz of red wine. My weight has been falling off since I started doing that. When we freak out our cortizol kicks in and it will retain whatever fat storage we have and adding some to it as well :)

Enjoy and take comfort in YOUR accomplishments that you have put effort and hard work thus far!!!!! :)

<3 L
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

Not drinking water has the opposite effect. Your body will hoard the water. I've learned that. Even my bra gets tighter - in back - not in the cups.
  • Shawna_831
    Options
    It is totally normal to gain that much as well as lose during TOM. Stay off the scale for the week before, during and after. You can also adjust your daily caloric intake for a few weeks to shock your system. Our bodies will hit a point where we need to shake things up some. I will do a 1400 daily intake for a month and then change it to 1500 the next. :wink:
  • THISisTARRAN
    THISisTARRAN Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I gained a net of 5 pounds over 10 days with my recent TOM. It ended yesterday and I'm back at the weight I was at before the weight gain began.

That makes me a very happy person, I hope you are right.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    ohhh you ladies (and guy) are so awesome. It's great to be reassured that this is normal. Sometimes i panic over nothing it seems. I had no idea i should be drinking MORE water now. It's great to know and I'm going to fill up right now : )))

thankyou for all your advice and support, you guys are great.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    one gallon of water is 8 pounds..
    so if your retaining a gallon of water thats 8 ounds of just water!
    i drink close to a gallon of water a day and when tom comes i hold alot of that in..
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    The most I have ever gained during TOM is 11 lbs, so don't look at your 6+ lb weight gain as a bummer. Just use it as motivation and you'll see the scale drop after the cycle is over. I normally give it about a week after its over to really stop saying "Oh, that's just TOM weight"...
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I make sure to drink even MORE water during TTOM. The water actual helps to keep bloating away; sounds crazy I know but I can see a big difference that increasing my water by 2 - 3 glasses a day makes during that time. I usually can weigh myself within a day or two and be back to pre-TOM weight!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Sounds like water retention...have you been eating a lot of salty or processed foods? I started on MFP the day after TOM..Just started it yesterday again..last 2 days have not been my greatest! .Weight didn't fluctuate this month but kind of hoping I see a couple more lbs drop off when its over...

Try to stay on track...drink lots of water...

I will attest to the salty foods being problematic. Eating a lot of sodium can make you retain extra water and when you pair that with your TOM it is just a bummer! Sometimes I crave certain things during my TOM and if I'm not paying attention I could be contributing to my bloating by what I eat. When I started to watch my sodium more closely and up my water intake, it helped a lot
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    My TOM gain started a couple days before and lasted until about half way thru. Then it dropped to below where it was before, over night!
    My Gyn just changed my birth control, I'm really nervous to see what that's going to do to my weight loss.
    Keep your head up, it'll be over soon :)
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I lose 3lbs 3days before then go back up on CD4. This is my pattern now, but when I was still losing weight I would drop the three then reagain them PLUS three until CD6. To beat the battle of bloat you must drink water, get your 64oz+. Stay clear of an extra sodium, even if it's not different from your regular diet it can wreak havoc TOM. Flush it out I bet you'll see that beautiful number again!