How does everyone fit in exercise????

Options
So after falling of the weight lose wagon I am back again. However my life has changed a little. I am now a full time student as well as working 40 hours a week. This leave little to no time for any exercise routine. This is very hard for me to realize as I was a regular yoga student practicing 6 days a week. On top of everything I am doing I have always been an extremly tired person. If I sit down I fall asleep. When I get home from work I have to start super right away beacuse if I sit on the couch I will fall asleep. This has nothing to do with how busy I am as I have been like this for a while.

Does anyone have any suggestions for quick workouts that really work? I love yoga but I just can not afford the 2hrs it would take up every night.

Replies

• navs52
    navs52 Posts: 40
    Options
    Its easy to make time for stuff you want to do. I don't think there is really a way for us to answer your question. Get up an hour earlier? work out when you are on lunch at your job? Make it that last thing you do at night? Who knows? If you are motivated enuf you will find a way.
  • goldspaula
    Options
    Early in the day. I used to get up at 6, now I get up at 5 and get an hour in at the gym every morning! It makes all the difference in the world!!!! Good Luck!
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You simply have to make time for exercise. I work full time and take care of a child, on top of all the house chores, etc. I feel as if I'm always tired and always busy, but I just have to stop and say "No, I'm working out now". Even just 30 minutes out of your day can make a difference. Push yourself for that 30 minutes and you'll see results.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i work out in the morning after i eat my breakfast because i know if i get it done and out of the way early in the day i have the rest of the day to get everything else i need to do done :] good luck! you will get back into the groove of things!
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Its easy to make time for stuff you want to do. I don't think there is really a way for us to answer your question. Get up an hour earlier? work out when you are on lunch at your job? Make it that last thing you do at night? Who knows? If you are motivated enuf you will find a way.

I agree with this! If you want it, go get it!
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    There are some great 10 minute solution work-out DVDs. They are usually made up of 5 workouts that are 10 minutes each. You can just do one or you can pick and choose to create your own workout. I have the Pilates one and I love it.

http://www.the10minutesolution.com/series/index.html

Best wishes! :happy:
  • fushion243
    Options
    I read that statistics show those who workout first thing in the morning are more successful. I was a night owl 3 years ago when I started regular exercise and found the extra shower, and exhaustion of the day made it hard to fit in the evening workout I set as a goal. So, I switched to a morning person. I workout first thing each morning. This allows for a single shower (time saved), you will be at your freshest first thing in the AM, and you get all those points to add to your allotted calorie count for the day. I find that I want to workout for the points as well as the fitness. It is just a great start.
  • tltincher
    tltincher Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It sounds as though we have the same life! I too work 40 hours a week and am a full time student on top of being a mother and wife. It is sooo hard to fit time in anywhere....except in the morning. I am the person that goes to bed with the alarm set at 5 so I can get up and exercise, however, that has yet to happen. I hit the snooze button until 6:30!!! I want to do this, just need to get myself motivated to do it...I really like my sleep. I guess we just need to tell ourselves that the extra hour of sleep we would be missing is adding years to our lives! Good luck:smile:
  • GDrazenovich
    Options
    I am a fan of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) and it has been effective for me (I am around 10 - 12% bf now). Max for HIIT is 30 minutes on any given aerobic exercise. But you have to space going as fast as you can for 1 or 2 minutes, then move to moderate, then as fast as you can, moderate, etc.

Same for weights, gradually increase the weights on each set and go to fail. Routine should last about 35 - 40 minutes.

I think Yoga is good for mediation or flexibility but for results for time investment - HIIT is the way to go.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Schedule it into your day where it can fit...and stick to it! For me I go immediately after work. Pick up the kids from afterschool and head directly to the gym. I workout then go home to make dinner as the kids finish their homework and get my stuff together for the next day.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    My hubs and I go right after work, before we sit down or start to make dinner. We shoot for 30 to 35 minutes of cardio. It doesn't sound like much but it's way better than nothing at all.

If nothing else, a 20 minute brisk walk can burn you some calories!

After work, gym, dinner, and cleaning up, there isn't a ton of time for much else but exercise is a priority so we do what we have to.
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    You just have to fit it in when YOU want to. I would LOVE to have a set schedule where I work out EVERY day at 9:00am sharp. But with 3 kids? Impossible. So, I do it when I can. First thing in the morning, or baby's nap time, or after dinner, or after the kids have gone to bed. Never a set time, but always on my agenda. You just need to do what suits you! Your body needs to be your motivation. The way I look and see myself, the way I want my clothes to fit...always my motivation.

I love the Jillian Michael's workouts..they are only about 40 minutes. If you have netflix there are a lot of great videos from between 10 minutes to 40 minutes. I would definitely say that a 30-40 minute is best at least! But, a workout is a workout, and at this point, every little bit helps.
  • Danibelle
    Options
    * Do wall sits during your work breaks
    * Work out while you work! Do bicep curls at your desk
    * Stuck in traffic? breathe in, then gently draw your navel towards your spine as you exhale. Repeat until traffic starts moving. This can also be done standing or lying down.
    * Gas station pump up: While fueling your car tone your abs and glutes by contracting and holding those muscles until your fuel tank is filled.
    * Take the stairs instead of the elevator (try to take 2 stairs at a time)
    * Take a 10 minute walk
    * Carry your groceries to the car (If you can.. park in the back of the parking lot)
    * Chase your kids around the yard

Just get creative you can always find time to fit in a little extra activity. Also here is a great website I found with quick workout routines, even a holiday weight management survival guide! http://exercise.about.com/od/fittinginexercise/Fitting_In_Exercise.htm

Happy Holidays <3
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    My alarm clock goes off at 3:50 am, so I can run or bike for an hour each morning! I have to leave the house by 6:20 am and teach full time! I often do something active afterwork as well...exercise class, lift weights, or take the dog for a walk. Many days, I don't sit down to dinner or relaxation time until 7 pm (and then bedtime by 9:30 pm)! Do it again tomorrow...NO EXCUSES!
  • nicolby
    Options
    I have a hard time with this, also. Between work and my son I feel like I don't have much "me" time, and I don't feel like working out in my only free time. but if I want to lose weight, I know I have to work out. So I do!

Some workout videos are quick.. 30 day shred is quick, and I can do it after I put my son to bed and then I have plenty of time still left to myself.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options

I agree with this! If you want it, go get it!

totally agree. i know people that work full time plus AND go to school full time as well as have kids and a social life who get in 30-60 min of exercise everyday.
  • lilbrdhsenursoul
    Options
    An easy way to exercise is to document what you already do. Get a pedometer, wear it for the day and log how many steps you've taken for the day. This is your baseline. Next day, increase steps. Try to think of ways to do so, whether it be take the stairs, park further away from destination, etc. The goal is to reach 10,000 steps a day which is roughly equivalent to 5 miles. Hope this helps!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    When I used to work out after a busy day (now I do most in the morning) I would walk in the door - go to the bedroom - change my clothes and walk out the door! do not check mail, messages, sit down or ANYTHING - just go do it. You can rest when you come back - I used to think of it as if my work-day was not over until I did my workout! Good luck!
  • VickieMW
    VickieMW Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Do you brush your teeth everyday? Would you go a day without brushing your teeth even once?
    You can make 20 minutes to walk or do a video.

You have to make it a priority. Make it a part of your life that you do everyday.
    You never choose to not brush your teeth because its cold or hot or you don't feel like it.
    It is just something you do. So like Nike says: "Just do it"! V:love:
  • LareishaH
    LareishaH Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am a full time student and I work full time as well, but I am positive you can make time to get your exercises in. I just sent you a friend request. You can message me if you need pointers. I have only lost 26 pounds, but I may be of a little assistance.