Fat question

Options
Before I began losing weight the fat on my body was kinda firm. Because my body has been using the fat there is increased blood flow and the fat I have left is extremely squishy. Once I transition to maintaining my weight and I am no longer using that fat storage, is it reasonable to assume the fat will become a bit more firm over time because of decreased blood flow?

Replies

• FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    Bump to maybe get some feedback.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I have very wobbly blobby thighs despite being almost underweight, muscly upper body and never being fat my whole life. I run a lot and don't eat any unhealthy food but I just can't get rid of the squishy fat on my thighs and butt. I often look at girls much bigger than me who have smooth firm thighs. I heard once that as you lose weight, you can get worse cellulite as the fat doesn't fill out the skin as much.
  • bangles501
    bangles501 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It may be because you lost some muscle along the way, or you still have some fat to lose or loose skin. The best way to tone up is to cut down on cardio depending on how much more weight you have to lose and begin strength training, the heavier the weights the better. Pilates is really good as well. Try doing the plank, squats, walking lunges, chest press and remember less reps with heavier weights is better than lots of reps and light weights.
  • xtaljd
    xtaljd Posts: 17
    Options
    I have been experiencing the same thing. I can tell when my body is burning fat because my fat isn't as solid. I do have loose skin in some areas right now and I hope it firms up.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Not sure what this means??
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    yes it firms up ..little by little..

but I suggest to just lose 2-3 pounds a month to make sure u dont have lose skin
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Mine firms and firms over time despite just regular walking as exercise. It got bloopy' periodically (around every 10 pounds) and then would become solid again.

Swimming was incredibly helpful with this for me.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    The way I've always understood this:

The number of fat cells you have in your body remains the same. They just get bigger/smaller. When losing weight, they get smaller so there is less mass under the skin. This is where it would become squishy. More bigger fat cells means more mass, so the fat seems firm/hard.
    Your skin will (for the most part) bounce back and eventually you will look firmer.

(again, this is how I understand, I may be wrong, and I'm ok with that!)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I don't think fat firms up per say....it only expands or contracts.

What you want to do is put on muscle.....

Yes, you have a certain number of fat cells......and they only increase or decreases in size, not number.

So hit the gym, lift weights.....develop your muscles, and enjoy the results.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    The way I've always understood this:

The number of fat cells you have in your body remains the same. They just get bigger/smaller. When losing weight, they get smaller so there is less mass under the skin. This is where it would become squishy. More bigger fat cells means more mass, so the fat seems firm/hard.
    Your skin will (for the most part) bounce back and eventually you will look firmer.

(again, this is how I understand, I may be wrong, and I'm ok with that!)

I was going to write this too but you beat me to it. I suspect this is the problem... but a bit of strength training focussing in those areas should help it, as more muscle underneath the fat will firm the area up.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Repost
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    Thanks is for all the responses. I do lift heavy with weekly progression. The muscle is there and I still have a bit of excess fat which I am still working on. As far as loose skin there is a difference in the feel of loose skin and squishy fat. I understand that fat cells expand and contract but I am at a lower bf% than I was when I was 26 and the fat feels more squishy now than it did then.

My theory is once I no longer am using the fat as energy my body will not send as much blood and water through the sells to break it down. With less blood and water circulating in the fatty tissue it makes sense that it will feel more like the fat on the edge of a steak and less like melted butter. Maybe I'm just making things up.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Thanks is for all the responses. I do lift heavy with weekly progression. The muscle is there and I still have a bit of excess fat which I am still working on. As far as loose skin there is a difference in the feel of loose skin and squishy fat. I understand that fat cells expand and contract but I am at a lower bf% than I was when I was 26 and the fat feels more squishy now than it did then.

My theory is once I no longer am using the fat as energy my body will not send as much blood and water through the sells to break it down. With less blood and water circulating in the fatty tissue it makes sense that it will feel more like the fat on the edge of a steak and less like melted butter. Maybe I'm just making things up.

Look into leangains style of intermittent fasting.....

also if you get time,
    Read this page....
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/06/intermittent-fasting-and-stubborn-body.html

Now before people come in here, this is just what I do, and my preferred method of handling my fat issues.....
    so what I post is just my opinion....your mileage may vary
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options

Look into leangains style of intermittent fasting.....

also if you get time,
    Read this page....
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/06/intermittent-fasting-and-stubborn-body.html

Now before people come in here, this is just what I do, and my preferred method of handling my fat issues.....
    so what I post is just my opinion....your mileage may vary
    I actually follow a 17or18- 7or6 IF. I tried a 2:5 but it didn't fit my lifestyle.

I'll look at the page thanks.

To be clear I'm not having difficulty shedding the fat, I'm more curious how its consistency will change once it is no longer being used.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Typically if you have gotten your fat levels low enough and all the hormonal issues have smoothed over....and water retention has straightened out....
    Your skin should lay flat and almost like it is stretched......

I mean for me my BF is fairly low....
    But this past weekend due to Super Bowl and I felt like being bad....
    I got off my normal IF routine....
    So to me, it shows....
    So I spent the past couple days trying to get it straightened back out.....because when I look at my stomach....the definition isn't as "sharp"......

So today will be stair master.....light cardio. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: