My day at the gym, when I really didn't want to go...

Options
Ok so...I'm at the gym on the cross-trainer elliptical and have been on about 30min or so. I'm figuring 'what the hell, I should just stop...this is pointless. Who cares, etc' and also my legs are hitting that stage where they are numb but my feet on are fire. I decide I'll go until 45 minutes because that seems like a good enough spot to stop because really, I had no plans to be there today anyway so that should be good enough. Plus I upgraded to level 3 resistance from my usual level 1 so that should make up for it.

As I'm zoning out to whatever is on my iPod, I feel something tap my elbow. I ignore the first one and then realize someone next to me is trying to get my attention when it happens again. Next to me is a woman who I'd place about early to mid 40's at the oldest who weighs probably about 130lbs soaking wet. I pop out my headphones as she mouths something at me so I catch the last part of her statement which was something along the lines of 'how long are you going for?' and her tone is disbelief. I think 'oh great, here we go. Another naysayer.' I respond that I don't quite know yet but usually I do 60min straight and she stares at me. Yep, here we go. Certainly she will ask me how many times I had to stop (which people ask me frequently). I mean, she is not just small, but fit. I can tell that much.

Instead, she looks at me and says 'you are simply inspiring. I don't know how you do it. I can't even do 15 minutes on level 1.' We launch into a discussion about how I am able to go so long without stopping, how much weight have I lost, what is my diet like, etc while the minutes tick by on my timer. The entire time, she keeps telling me how fabulous I look and how inspired she is. She tells me she also lost a lot weight over the past few years (60lbs) but she did it all via weight watchers and very casual exercise so it's been a struggle; she's just now really concentrating on fitness. As she did her 15 minutes, we chatted for awhile until she finished. Her parting words were 'you look fabulous and while I hope I see you again, I know I'll see 'less' of you, if you know what I mean. Keep inspiring.'

It was then I decided that maybe it did matter if I kept going for those extra 15 minutes to hit 60...so I did. I'm not sorry for it either.

Replies

• brayla1
    brayla1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Well done!! you never know where the "atta girl/boy" will come from!! Way to keep pushing!
  • charlisobel
    charlisobel Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    What a great story and well done you!
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    What a great story and well done you!

What she said! Well done!
  • theos_human
    theos_human Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This is so awesome! Way to go! It's always nice to be surprised by the people at the gym! And if it motivated you to push through to the 60 min, even better!

I have a similar story- once I was working out at a ladies gym (it was closer and much less busy than the co-ed, even if the selection was a little worse), and I was getting ready to do some deadlifts. I was pretty new to lifting, but really excited that I was finally being able to lift close to 100 lb. Just as I was loading the bar, a lady walked up to me and asked in disbelief if I "was really going to lift THAT?" and that I "must have STRONG arms" (even though DLs are most leg and back ;) ). It was nice to hear her compliment my strength, but it was a little weird when she stepped back (just out of my personal space) and waited for me to lift, so she could blatantly watch my set...
    But still nice that she noticed :D
  • Harrisonsauntie
    Options
    Well done!

quick question, why would she question how long you are doing?
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    SO So awesome!!

I've wanted to compliment newer people at the gym but I dont want to seem like a creeper! LOL
  • jadey_lady
    jadey_lady Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Well done!

quick question, why would she question how long you are doing?

I'm not sure...but honestly I have been asked at least three times by other people this question and they always seem very skeptical. I don't know if it's just the culture around here or what, but it's annoying sometimes. Now I just put on my headphones and generally ignore people.
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Great Story! Keep it up... You are an inspiration to us all.
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    SO So awesome!!

I've wanted to compliment newer people at the gym but I dont want to seem like a creeper! LOL

I have found that just a smile and keep up the good work/keep it up work wonders.... having been on both the receiving and the giving end.
  • Jumjutikawex
    Options
    Wow that's great!!! How motivating to get those words from a fellow gym-nee!!!
  • mlauraa
    mlauraa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I guess going to the gym that day was meant to be, I wish someone would come up to me at the gym and lift me up when i fell like stopping. Good Job for not giving up. :flowerforyou: