What is wrong with my hand?

Options
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar, my right hand for some reason is always freezing cold. It started a few months ago, my left one is always perfectly warm but my right one just randomly gets cold to the point where it's hard to move it.

Here's a picture of how cold and red it is compared to my other one

5x52bYi.jpg

Replies

• Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    You might have circulation problems. Get it looked at by a professional.
    If any swelling happens, I STRONGLY URGE you to seek out medical help.
    Don't take the whole "you're stressed" crap. They will try that.

Edit: And your nails are purplish in one hand..
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I think it's called Renauds syndrome or something - can't remember the exact spelling. But people with this have problems with blood circulation to the limbs, and one of the symptoms is painfully cold hands and feet, i.e. much more so than other peoples at the same temperatures.

As it's affecting one hand only, this might not be the explanation, but it really sounds like a circulation problem.
  • Chillyfrog
    Chillyfrog Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Looks like it could be Raynaud's. I've had severe Raynauds for about 8yrs. Mine will turn blue and purple and look like my fingers should be falling off and one had is worse than the other. It's no fun. Raynauds isn't a circulation problem, but your blood vessels spasm and close making your fingers turn color and go numb until the spasm stops. If the spasm is severe it causes pain like your fingers are in a vice. Factors are cold and stress and can be a sign of other health issues related to autoimmune diseases, but can occur without any other problems.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Ive had this happen as well.
    My hands turn reddish and my nails purpleish.

Ive been borderline anemic and iron pills have helped a bit.

But I very strongly urge you to go to a doctor.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Cut it off to save the rest of you,
    Or
    Maybe you should ask your Dr.
  • sarahc142
    Options
    ^ Okay thanks everyone I looked up Raynaud's and it seems like I could have that, I'll get it checked out by a doctor. Just emailed my dad about it because he's a doctor so I'll wait for him to reply
  • TheNoLeafClover
    TheNoLeafClover Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I've developed something similar. My hands and feet frequently go numb and my right hand in particular is perpetually cold. If I go outside, even while wearing heavy gloves, my fingers turn purple within a matter of minutes. Contact with anything even remotely cold is unbearable. It's definitely not pleasant.
  • nicmax88
    nicmax88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Excellent description, thank you. I have MS and feel like I'm always at doctor's, so have never mentioned similar symptoms. Now I don't feel so silly!

*Meant to quote Chillyfrog!
  • karkaskompetisie
    Options
    I experience this like all the time even during the summer. I've got a heart failure which probably affects my blood circulation. I'd say go to your doctor and get it checked, maybe your blood pressure is low and that's why it gets cold and changes color.
  • algwynt
    algwynt Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    my wife suffers the same, her remedy is to use me as a warming tool. gettting into bed is agony for me for 10mins or so till she,s warm again.thats love for you.thanks for an interesting post.
  • Ericancan
    Options
    that is exactly what I was thinking, but that is without taking out my medical examiner's book..Get it checked out.
  • khurrambutt
    khurrambutt Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You should ask doctor about it I can just say pretty hands
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I agree with those opinions that it's Raynauds Syndrome. Get to a doctor and have it checked. Raynauds is an auto-immune disorder and MAY lead to other issues. In my case, about a year after I had those symptoms, I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis (another auto-immune disorder). After researching my diagnosis, I learned that Raynauds is an early warning for other health issues. Better safe than sorry.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Go to a doctor.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    Raynauds - But check with your doctor. My fingers will do that. Sometimes my toes.
  • Chillyfrog
    Chillyfrog Posts: 207 Member
    Options

I've read that the Far Infrared Raynaud's Gloves are the bomb, but they only come in colors instead of flesh tone not to mention they're on the expensive side. Nothings says notice me like wearing black gloves in the middle of summer! I use the half finger gloves made for arthritis, they help a little and they come in tan color.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I had a very similar thing a year ago. My finger would turn white all of a sudden and I would have no feeling in it at all. It would stay that way for an hour before getting back to normal. Happend a couple of times with the same finger. No idea what that was about but I was under A LOT of stress at the time.

2v1td8i.jpg
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Wow that is weird :huh:

I would ask a doctor.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    i thought the major diagnostic criterion for Raynaud's was fingers turn WHITE in the cold??? i was checked for Raynaud's yrs ago when my rheumatologist was performing the exclusion diagnostics for fibromyalgia (R's seems to occur w/ FM, or at least 10 ys ago that was the thought). i've in the past had single fingers go cold, like usually my R ring or pinky, no numbness/tingling or color change, just one or two fingers go cold for a while. or one would go warmer than the others. hasn't happened for a while, but it used to be a pretty frequent occurrance. when i press each of my fingertips briefly against my lips in succession, i am checking to see which one(s) is colder/warmer than the others.

interesting side note: LAST NIGHT i had a wave of incredible numbness/icy-burning sensation in my toes and yellow/white spots on a couple of my toes and bottom of foot. i first thought of frostbite (because it's kill-people cold here) but i don't recall my feet ever having gotten that cold--i certainly hadn't felt any discomfort in my two pairs of socks and sturdy winter boots, neither when i was getting loose at the gym. i was walking on treadmill, icy/burning in my toes like crazy, got off and examined my R foot: my 4th toe was completely white/yellow. the white spots on my big toe and bottom of foot went away quickly, but my toe stayed white for quite a while. i massaged it until i got most of the sensation back, but it was still white. got back on the treadmill (feeling a little leery) and jogged my 1.5 mi, numb still for quite a while--but by 1.0 mi i had gotten all sensation back. :shrug: never happened before. i think THAT more resembles Raynaud's than anything that ever happened with my hands (they never turned white in the cold, always red).