Help for those of us Overseas?

Options
This is just not going to work for me, I think.
I am currently in one of those hot dry places you hear alot about in the news. We have the galley (chow/mess hall) or Burger King (in most places)...and that's it. No healthy options really (unless you like BROWN lettuce...well, brown most of the time) and all of the vegetables that USED to be healthy are dripping in some kind of yellow oily substance! The meat is fried or dripping in the same oily stuff. What can I do? Do I try and order protien shakes, etc from drugstore.com and live off of those? This just sucks!!! I have been trying to stay within my calories; it is extremely difficult when almost everything they serve is POO. There are healthier LOOKING foods occasionally but those times are few and far inbetween. I decided just today I am going to try eating only the beef jerky they hand out, veggies, and fruit. We can only hope for someone else to take over the cooking...if anyone has suggestions please let me know.

Replies

• partenopea
    Options
    This is just not going to work for me, I think.
    I am currently in one of those hot dry places you hear alot about in the news. We have the galley (chow/mess hall) or Burger King (in most places)...and that's it. No healthy options really (unless you like BROWN lettuce...well, brown most of the time) and all of the vegetables that USED to be healthy are dripping in some kind of yellow oily substance! The meat is fried or dripping in the same oily stuff. What can I do? Do I try and order protien shakes, etc from drugstore.com and live off of those? This just sucks!!! I have been trying to stay within my calories; it is extremely difficult when almost everything they serve is POO. There are healthier LOOKING foods occasionally but those times are few and far inbetween. I decided just today I am going to try eating only the beef jerky they hand out, veggies, and fruit. We can only hope for someone else to take over the cooking...if anyone has suggestions please let me know.
  • PhotographerOfNature
    PhotographerOfNature Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Wow partenopea. I feel for you. It doesn't sound like you have many options for eating where you are. The only thing I can think of is up the exercise and if you are where I think you are, you may be getting plenty of that too, but I was wondering if upping your exercise would help combat the stuff you have to eat. If you are doing what I think you are doing in that hot dry place thats in the news alot, THANK YOU!!!
  • aprildpettitt
    Options
    Yeah, I second that THANK YOU!

Just a couple of ideas - if the BK you have is full service, try the Veggie Whopper. I think it is somewhere in the neighborhood of 380 calories...way better than a Whopper! Do you have someone that can send you a care package (not sure how long those take to get to you if they even do since I was never deployed to a place that it sounds like you are) If you can, maybe someone could send you some nutrition bars, little boxes of cereal, soup...if you have a place to heat it.

I hope you can find a way around the not so healthy chow. I saw you've lost 9 pounds...that's great! Don't give up! Good luck and stay safe. :flowerforyou:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    DANG IT!!! Why couldn't I be an..."overseas" cook!

Here's my thought....
    This place is still for you, you are always welcome here.
    You want to make sure you are still trying to get the best for you foods available. Which you've already said is difficult.

Don't beat yourself up though.
    Focus more on portions and less on quality. You can still lose weight eating regular food, if you just keep the amount down. It may not be as easy or as fast, but you can still do it. It must be very frustrating and I have often wondered what "overseas" people were having to eat, I hear such varied reports.

Keep your chin up, if all you do is log workouts then you are still making progress.

Don't forget to keep in lots of liquids.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I am in one of those hot places as well and you can do this, don't get discouraged... it works you just have to be inventive and really find the healthy option of the day!!

You have peanut butter, trail mix probably, maybe deli meat options and those brownish lettuce things.. well, they do work...From your post assuming your not eating MREs. Boiled eggs (only white) cereals, milk, cheese, some fruits?, veggies tend to be doused with oils and butter so, not a lot of options but sometimes they leave it out.

Good Luck!! let me know if you need more tips!