Does Green Tea Really Speed Metabolism?

Options
I started drinking green tea pretty regularly after my husband bought me a loose tea sampler for Christmas this year. I was shocked to find out that me, a southern girl raised on southern style sweet tea straight out of a mason jar actually liked green tea with lemon and a dash of honey. So I have been drinking a lot of green tea now, because I like it and it gives me my tea fix without all the calories I would have consumed with the mountains of sugar I used to put in tea. But a lot of people say that green tea will speed up your metabolism and help you lose weight. Is that actually true? It just seems like a gimmick to me.

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I started drinking green tea pretty regularly after my husband bought me a loose tea sampler for Christmas this year. I was shocked to find out that me, a southern girl raised on southern style sweet tea straight out of a mason jar actually liked green tea with lemon and a dash of honey. So I have been drinking a lot of green tea now, because I like it and it gives me my tea fix without all the calories I would have consumed with the mountains of sugar I used to put in tea. But a lot of people say that green tea will speed up your metabolism and help you lose weight. Is that actually true? It just seems like a gimmick to me.

It might help it to a certain degree, but it's not a magical leaf/liquid to drop weight. Enjoy it for what it is.... hot tea.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Yes, it will increase your metabolism, but not enough to make a difference.

According to a study, a cup of green tea will raise your metabolism 1%. This effect topped out at two cups (meaning that even if you drank 10 cups a day, your metabolism is going up only 2%).

So, if you burn 2000 calories a day, green tea could make you burn an extra 40.

Drink it because you like it, not because you think it's going to help with weight loss.
  • CupcakeGangsta
    CupcakeGangsta Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it actually speeds up your metabolism to loose weight but it does make you feel full. I drink hot green tea with a small squirt of honey for a snack or with a snack and it always makes me full until my next meal time. Pure green tea also has a good amount of antioxidants your body needs. So it's still considered a healthy win in my book even if it doesn't speed your metabolism.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Sadly not to any significant degree...
  • sanalupe
    sanalupe Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Did not work for me, maybe other people are different.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    You would need to drink something like 6-12 cups a day in order for it to make a difference.

If you like it than drink it.
  • happyfeet1993
    happyfeet1993 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I started drinking green tea a couple of days ago along with eating healthier.
    I've been reading up on it on a lot of different sites and some people really do swear by it, for tons of purposes!
    If you do some research you'll find there are so many health benefits of green tea.
    And it's a great way to get your water intake for the day, which of course is definitely good
    I've gotten so used to the taste already I drink it just on it's own, cold and hot.

Even though it only increases your metabolism by a tiny amount, I purposely think it's helps a lot with hunger.
    So it will keep you for over eating and being hunger during the day.

so yeah I def think that indirectly it for sure will help with your Weightloss and your health.

side note: not sure if it's just me but it keeps me awake and very alert. I've had 2cups close to bedtime and have stayed up very very late unintentionally so I would recommend only drinking it earlier in the day!

Good luck !
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, yes, it does speed metabolism, but not by any significant degree.

However, if you are replacing your sweet tea with green tea, you are doing your body a world of good! Sweet tea has a LOT of sugar, green tea with a bit of honey has much less. It will help you lose weight not by boosting your metabolism, but because you are consuming fewer calories.

Stick with the green tea!
  • cherub_72
    cherub_72 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, yes, it does speed metabolism, but not by any significant degree.

However, if you are replacing your sweet tea with green tea, you are doing your body a world of good! Sweet tea has a LOT of sugar, green tea with a bit of honey has much less. It will help you lose weight not by boosting your metabolism, but because you are consuming fewer calories.

Stick with the green tea!

I agree. I switched from regular coffee with tons of sugar to "black" green tea. I enjoy green tea plain without anything in it. I used to have to put sugar in my coffee to make it palitable. Saving calories just with that.

Keep up the good work! I am learning that finding little replacements like that is making a big difference and I don't feel deprived.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    It also contains the highest amount of antioxidants of any tea, so that's a plus :)
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    You would need to drink something like 6-12 cups a day in order for it to make a difference.

If you like it than drink it.

But then the honey would negate any of that difference quickly