Vegetarian/Vegan(ish) for weight loss

Options
Hi there!

I am 22 and 12 stone 5. I want to lose 40 pounds by May. I know that sounds mad but it's only 3 pounds per week. So anyway, I went vegetarian a couple of weeks back as everyone I know who has done it seems to have lost weight without even really trying. I've also been trying to cut back on the dairy. So my diet consists mainly of muesli/porridge for breakfast and fruit and veg in various forms throughout the day (lots of smoothies and soups and salads).

The first week or so I was so incredibly bloated and also had horrible flatulence - apologies for tmi... it was humiliating, uncomfortable and depressing. I ended up having a few bad days feeling sorry for myself and eat a tonne of chocolate. But I'm back on it for February and it's not as bad now my body is getting used to it.

I am however, struggling to get all my protein in. I add lentils or chickpeas to most soups I make and chia seeds to breakfast but it's still nowhere near what a couple of eggs/can of tuna will give me, and I'm trying to avoid those sorts of things. I don't really want to start using protein shakes - I am trying to eat naturally and plus, I am a student and they are expensive! I do heavy exercise sessions 5+ times a week, so my protein is important.

Anyone else going meat free for weight loss? Any advice?

Thanks!

Replies

• jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    If you're not going vegan for reasons other than losing weight, I would suggest sticking with vegetarian. Add egg whites back into your diet. I used to buy the 5 dozen pack and boil them to snack on the egg whites during the day. Each egg gives you about 6 grams of protein, so it would be easy to reach your protein goal with the other things you're eating.

Also, trying to accomplish a sustained 3 lb. a week weight loss is probably going to disappoint you. Your body is going to fight you before you reach your goal.

The bloating is likely caused by adding more fiber in your diet when you increased your whole veggies and grains. It takes a few weeks for your body to adjust.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Best bet is to cut off a limb. You can lose 3 pounds per week when your seriously overweight, but at 12St. 5, you'd have to be about three feet tall for that to be a good idea. Why the time crunch anyway? Is health not more important?

Rigger
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    When you radically change your diet your stomach bacteria needs time to change also- this is why you are having such symptoms.
    Gradual is best.
    Beware that you can still gain weight eating vegetarian / vegan. Oreos are an example of vegan junk food .
    Why not just make smart choices and don't label yourself? Fill up on salads and vegetables and slow down on the store bought packaged food. ( muesli can be calorific)
    BTW I'm vegan for ethical reasons, but I still eat very carefully!
    Good luck!
  • tiddles_yeah
    tiddles_yeah Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Im vegan and have a minimum of 160g of protein per day (im about 53kg and 5"9 btw) Im also a uni student so am poooooooor! :P So yeah, i cant really buy expensive things either

I use pea protein and incorporate it into a lot of my meals and snacks to meet my protein meals as i also do quite intense weights training six times per week

I have a blog (that i really need to get around to adding more to soon) that has some ideas of cheap and delicious ways in use my pea protein powder. Its: http://superallergyfood.blogspot.com.au/
  • tiddles_yeah
    tiddles_yeah Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Flatulence can be associated with too much fiber (or just having too much in one sitting) which often happens with vegetables such as broccoli and cabbage

It can also be a sign that the bacteria on your digestive tract is imbalanced, in which case i would suggest a probiotic (try to get refrigerated ones in tablets as they are stronger and arent expensive). Dont try yogurt. It doesnt have as much probiotics as you are lead to believe
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Some good vegan sources of protein include nuts, nut butters, beans, peas, sprouts, quinoa, other whole grains... with the obvious soy milk, tofu, tempeh, etc.

This page has a pretty decent run down of vegan protein: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php

I also second the idea that if you're not ethically or morally opposed, eggs are a decent vegetarian source of protein.

I learned that vegan cheese just isn't really worth it, because it doesn't taste or melt like real cheese. However, if you get a craving for mac and not-cheese, my house has been really enjoying this recipe lately: http://www.forksoverknives.com/velvety-macaroni/ It's the best that I've found for mac and not-cheese.

Though I am no longer a vegan or vegetarian (I'm an opportunivore... I eat whatever comes along), cutting down on dairy will be really helpful, especially cheese. Skim milk cheeses might help you feel like you're still getting some flavor but with less fat? I also will do things like make lentil shepherd's pie, or black bean/sweet potato enchiladas, but sprinkle less than 1/4 cup of shredded cheese on the top during the baking for a little flavor.

I hope you don't get discouraged if you find 3 pounds a week to be hard. One to two pounds a week is considered safe.

Good luck!
  • SergeantNarwhal
    SergeantNarwhal Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for almost 8 years and I have a gluten and dairy allergy - so my diet is pretty restricted as is. When I started working out more regularly and really focusing on my macronutrient balance a few months ago I elected to eat fish about once a week. I would HIGHLY suggest that. Other than that, I eat 2 eggs each morning, I snack on sprouted almonds throughout the day, I eat black beans, fat free refried beans, almond and hemp milk, chia seeds and occasionally icelandic yogurt (with lactaid). Brown rice and quiona are also high in protein. When it's warm out I make protein shakes with sun warrior protein powder, banana, almond butter and cacao, they're great, high in protein and good fats.

Being veg can be rough, but remember it's easier to stick to a diet plan (esp for weight loss) when you enjoy yourself, so don't make things too difficult sweet pea! Best of luck! XO.
  • ayameinlove
    ayameinlove Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am currently transitioning into vegan. I wanted to share this website for anyone interested in vegan recipes. I've cooked several of this lady's recipes and each time they were delicious. Spreading the vegan <3

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/
  • missyme10
    missyme10 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    When you radically change your diet your stomach bacteria needs time to change also- this is why you are having such symptoms.
    Gradual is best.
    Beware that you can still gain weight eating vegetarian / vegan. Oreos are an example of vegan junk food .
    Why not just make smart choices and don't label yourself? Fill up on salads and vegetables and slow down on the store bought packaged food. ( muesli can be calorific)
    BTW I'm vegan for ethical reasons, but I still eat very carefully!
    Good luck!

I never knew Oreos are vegan!! Ethical biscuits, that's gotta be a good enough excuse for me to eat them :D
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    The reason people lose weight when switching to vegetarian diets is because they eradicate many foods that used to provide extra calories into the diet. If you don't want to be vegetarian for for any reason other than to lose weight then you are better off eating a omnivorous diet and tracking calories. It takes work and good knowledge to be vegetarian and meet your protein and iron needs.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    The reason people lose weight when switching to vegetarian diets is because they eradicate many foods that used to provide extra calories into the diet. If you don't want to be vegetarian for for any reason other than to lose weight then you are better off eating a omnivorous diet and tracking calories. It takes work and good knowledge to be vegetarian and meet your protein and iron needs.

^^^^^^This is right on point^^^^^
  • Stinkygorgonzola
    Options
    Hi, I'm a life long vegetarian and strive for 75% vegan. This is a great question and I'm glad you're asking it because many new vegetarians simply replace protein with carbs and end up gaining weight - or just give up, which is sad.

My favorite vegetarian meals are natural peanut butter on wheat bread, fat free refried bean burritos, salads with lots of chickpeas or other beans. My husband eats veggies stir fried with seitan (super high protein) and sometimes we'll have veggie sausage for breakfast. I do use protein shakes if I need a quick meal or I need a little variety. I use Pea Protein with a TBSP of peanut butter, almond milk and sometimes a banana in the blender. I'd also be careful with the fruit - when you're trying to lose weight it's best to keep it to a minimum then add it back in as you see results.

Ethnic food can be a great inspiration, as can "peasant" recipes from Italy and France. Look for a ribolitta recipe. I know it can feel overwhelming, but if you can make friends with one new vegetarian dish a week, you'll soon find you have an arsenal of choices. Start slow and don't give up.

I'd recommend getting at least one good vegetarian cookbook - we like vegan chef Chloe. http://chefchloe.com/vegan-recipes.html
  • Stinkygorgonzola
    Options
    PS, Give your tummy time to adjust. Pickles and ginger help. Good luck, you can do it!
  • juliafromrf
    juliafromrf Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    As much as I would love everybody to become vegan ... if YOUR reason only is to lose weight, you won't be too happy on a vegan diet. I personally found it easier to lose weight before, when I was vegetarian. Plus, meeting your daily nutrition requirements isn't that easy on a vegan diet, but of course, manageable.

My main protein sources:
    whole grain bread, tofu, tempeh, lentils, beans, quinoa, soy yoghurt, ...

I don't know if you've heard of it before, but the "life-changing bread" is vegan and gluten-free and a health-bomb, so to speak:
    http://www.mynewroots.org/site/2013/02/the-life-changing-loaf-of-bread/
    It also contains about 11 g protein/100 g. Plus, it tastes deliciooous!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    LOL I WISH dropping meat made me lose weight. In fact initially I had a harder time losing weight. I'm sorry but honestly your current diet doesn't sound sustainable, nor the workout plan. Check out some books on vegetarianism first, but everyone here will tell you that going vegetarian isn't a weightloss diet.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for about 18 years and I've been overweight and healthy/thin. I was vegan for a while and was thin but I prefer to be vegetarian. Being a vegan or vegetarian will not automatically make you lose weight. Just be healthy, eat whole foods, close to the ground as possible.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not over indulging in godet vegan foods you'll be fine.

There's plenty of protein in plant foods, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.