Constantly justifying myself.

I have been here around a month now and have roughtly two stone to lose.I started off really well even though I constantly get people asking me why I need to lose weight.I have always been a slim build so I guess they don't see what I do.I was always slim until I developed knee problems and quit the *kitten*,my weight shot up after I quit the 50 a day habit.

I am finding myself thinking what is the point?I am a grandmother of 4 why am I doing this at my age,blah blah.I like my food and have never eaten healthy food because I just don't like it,end of.I eat everything I did before,roasts,fry ups etc but just alot less and I do walk a fair bit.Maybe I am just making or looking for excuses but I am even boring myself now and I find my 9 year old granddaughter who lives with us is even starting to say that's not good for you Nanny or that's not healthy.I don't want her to develope an issue with food.

I don't even know what I am asking,maybe I just feel the need to have a rant and finally say how hard I am finding this all.I want chocolate,I want my greasy chips at work and some days I feel bloody miserable trying to change what I eat.

Sorry,rant over.

Replies

• Sent you a friend request :smile:
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member

I am finding myself thinking what is the point?I am a grandmother of 4 why am I doing this at my age,blah blah.I like my food and have never eaten healthy food because I just don't like it

What do you mean by you dont like healthy food? What specifically dont you like?

I think its good that you want to set a good example to your granddaughter, living on a diet of chips and chocolate ISNT good for you, though theyre fine in moderation. I suppose it comes down to wanting to live a fuller life and be healthier?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Maybe you are just not ready.

No one is forcing you to do this...at least I hope.

When you hit the point of being ready to take control of your health...there won't be any excuse great enough to stop you.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Diane, within reason, you should eat foods you love, otherwise this change won't be sustainable. If I woke up in your shoes, I would stop restricting "what" foods I eat and change "how much" of it I ate. Now remember I said within reason. Set a reasonable goal of protein and fat per day, once those are met, eat whatever you want. I eat ice cream every day, because I love it. Eat the foods you love, in proper proportion and in moderation. Good luck!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Diane, within reason, you should eat foods you love, otherwise this change won't be sustainable. If I woke up in your shoes, I would stop restricting "what" foods I eat and change "how much" of it I ate. Now remember I said within reason. Set a reasonable goal of protein and fat per day, once those are met, eat whatever you want. I eat ice cream every day, because I love it. Eat the foods you love, in proper proportion and in moderation. Good luck!

all of this ^^^^

it's about how much you eat more than what you eat. Make sure you're getting enough protein and enough nutrition generally (vitamins, minerals, fibre, fat, water) and the rest can be what you want, within your calorie goal.

don't make it too difficult... you don't have to be perfect, you just have to eat less than you burn off and give your body the nutrition it needs. Exercise helps as well because it improves your health and gives you more calories to eat, so makes it easier to fit in foods that you love.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    stop talking about it and just do it...

your grand daughter shouldnt notice any bad habits... you just need to eat the corrcet amount of food to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight- though if a 9 year old is telling you to eat mroe healthy then you may want to give it some thought!!
  • prattiger65

all of this ^^^^

it's about how much you eat more than what you eat. Make sure you're getting enough protein and enough nutrition generally (vitamins, minerals, fibre, fat, water) and the rest can be what you want, within your calorie goal.

don't make it too difficult... you don't have to be perfect, you just have to eat less than you burn off and give your body the nutrition it needs. Exercise helps as well because it improves your health and gives you more calories to eat, so makes it easier to fit in foods that you love.

Quoting you quoting me.....Yeah, you explain it better!
  • dianemmn
    dianemmn Posts: 27 Member
    Thanks for the replies.

I guess I am just feeling sorry for myself.I really thought I had reached a stage in my life where I wanted back in size 10 jeans and to suddenly have a wobble because I didn't lose any weight last week made me want to give up and think sod it I will have a chocolate bar then.

I have a very limited diet because I like very few things but it seemed to be working just cutting my portions and exercising.My problem was snacking rather than my diet consisting of just chocolate and chips.:smile:

My granddaughter does have balanced diet and eats all kinds of food I don't and for that I am pleased but due to her lack of food in her early years I want t be careful of the message I give to her.
  • i sent you a friend request diane x
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    I sympathise with where you are at and most definitely as regards to knee problems. I snapped my ACL and damaged the articular cartilage in my right knee some time back and then recently had a minor meniscus injury in my left knee. So I can relate totally.

A few years ago my weight hit 78kg (172lbs) as I struggled to exercise as much as I wanted to. I have had further surgery and am regularly seeing a physio again, but the biggest relief to my daily pain has been the weight loss. I'm currently at 58kg (128lbs) and I really appreciate not having that extra 44lbs loading through my joints. This motivates me way more than wearing smaller clothes sizes, and perhaps even more than the positive effects of an improved diet.

Please add me if you would like (or I can send a friends request)?
  • dianemmn
    I sympathise with where you are at and most definitely as regards to knee problems. I snapped my ACL and damaged the articular cartilage in my right knee some time back and then recently had a minor meniscus injury in my left knee. So I can relate totally.

A few years ago my weight hit 78kg (172lbs) as I struggled to exercise as much as I wanted to. I have had further surgery and am regularly seeing a physio again, but the biggest relief to my daily pain has been the weight loss. I'm currently at 58kg (128lbs) and I really appreciate not having that extra 44lbs loading through my joints. This motivates me way more than wearing smaller clothes sizes, and perhaps even more than the positive effects of an improved diet.

Ouch to your knee problems.

I have osteoarthritis in both knees and a micro fracture was tried but failed.Since I have been walking I am down to 2 tramadol a day just before bed but am at a loss at other things I can try.My sons are buying me a cross trainer and I always thought I couldn't use one but apparently it is okay as long as it is set low.Someone mentioned kettle bells too but I imagine I couldn't use one that was too heavy because of the extra weight through the knees.
  • gemtayls
    gemtayls Posts: 42 Member
    Firstly OMG well done on giving up the cigs!!! That's defo something to be proud of...!!! :drinker:

I think as everyone is suggesting just eat what you want in moderation. Healthy doesn't have to mean salads. Try diff weight watchers or slimming world recipes and start knocking up healthy alternatives to the foods you love: burgers, chilli's pastas etc. Theres always a healthy alternative recipe online. Get your grandaughter involved in the prep and cooking & just make sure you use the terms good for you and healthy with her without mentioning on the dreaded word 'diet' that may end up making her conscious of weight. Then have one or two 'cheat' meals a week that you can really look fordward to...

That's my opinion anyway...!!!

PS I snapped my ACL 7 years ago and had an op to fix it. I cycle, go spinning and do Jilliian Andersons 30DS with no problems, boot camps / steps / Zumba and even swimming can be a no, no for me due to the fast twisting and turning. Try diff things to find what suits you, you might be suprised!! Cycling is fab though as low impact for your knee.... :)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member

Ouch to your knee problems.

I have osteoarthritis in both knees and a micro fracture was tried but failed.Since I have been walking I am down to 2 tramadol a day just before bed but am at a loss at other things I can try.My sons are buying me a cross trainer and I always thought I couldn't use one but apparently it is okay as long as it is set low.Someone mentioned kettle bells too but I imagine I couldn't use one that was too heavy because of the extra weight through the knees.

I understand about the knees...I used mine as an excuse to become inactive along with hernias. I have found however...I can actually do more than I was giving myself credit for. I started out slow....found exercises to help strengthen and loosen the joints. As they improved...I upped the intensity. There are still things that I can't do...such as lunges...but I can do full squats now using 2 8lb dumbbells. I no longer use my knees as an excuse to not exercise...I just pay attention to them...ease up if I feel any pain.

Leg lifts (side and front) work wonders for the joints. Leg extensions...calf raises...ankle circles...so many more that will help your legs.

For upper body I use resistance bands and dumbbells.

Even though I have hernias I do light core work.

I found out that all my excuses for not exercising was just that...excuses. Granted...I had to do some research...some trial and error...until I found the exercises that would allow me to work toward my desired fitness level.

Start with no weights...then add maybe 3lb weights...increase the weight as you progress. I am hoping soon to go from those 2 8lbs dumbbells to 2 10lb bells.

I have lost 50lbs...I have 50 less excuses.
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Glad you found a platform to rant...it always feels good to get it off your chest. Perhaps smaller changes? One new vegetable a week? Greasy food once a week only? Just a suggestion...:smile:
  • dianemmn
    I do eat veg but I think it is what I put with it because my favourite food is a roast dinner and it is always a 1000 calories but I tell myself it is twice a week.

I do still have my favourite foods just less of them and try to limit chocolate to the weekend.
  • dianemmn
    ore than I was giving myself credit for. I started out slow....found exercises to help strengthen and loosen the joints. As they improved...I upped the intensity. There are still things that I can't do...such as lunges...but I can do full squats now using 2 8lb dumbbells. I no longer use my knees as an excuse to not exercise...I just pay attention to them...ease up if I feel any pain.

Leg lifts (side and front) work wonders for the joints. Leg extensions...calf raises...ankle circles...so many more that will help your legs.

For upper body I use resistance bands and dumbbells.

Even though I have hernias I do light core work.

I found out that all my excuses for not exercising was just that...excuses. Granted...I had to do some research...some trial and error...until I found the exercises that would allow me to work toward my desired fitness level.

Start with no weights...then add maybe 3lb weights...increase the weight as you progress. I am hoping soon to go from those 2 8lbs dumbbells to 2 10lb bells.

I have lost 50lbs...I have 50 less excuses.
    [/quote]

I will try the weights and I have found the walking is okay as long as I don't do it for 2 hours.I do have a sneaky jog which I am not meant to do but I used to do distance running so I do miss it.

The exercise as certainly helped me and I am not feeling so lethargic.
  • I find myself in the same predicament. While I really do enjoy healthy foods like veggies, I love my pizza and popcorn. Within the last year I have gained 50lbs. Now, I did compound fracture my ankle and could not walk for 8 weeks, but now that is just an excuse. I have a small build and have never had a weight issue. I'm finding the balance hard too. I can't deprive myself or I'll just go off the wagon completely, so I'm working on learning balance. There is nothing wrong with pizza or chocolate, it's just in moderation. I will not starve myself!
  • dianemmn
    I quoted that sooo wrong!:smile:
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    PS I snapped my ACL 7 years ago and had an op to fix it. I cycle, go spinning and do Jilliian Andersons 30DS with no problems, boot camps / steps / Zumba and even swimming can be a no, no for me due to the fast twisting and turning. Try diff things to find what suits you, you might be suprised!! Cycling is fab though as low impact for your knee.... :)
    I totally agree about the cycling. I usually go out regularly but keep an eye on the distances. More frequent but shorter rides suit me best, and I also ensure that I use low enough gears to keep a high cadence and lower loading. I certainly try not to feel sorry for myself because the negativity doesn't change anything. Unfortunately my ACL trauma was severe enough that it put a big indentation in the surface of the articular cartilage. This means I live with constant pain, so the trick is to exercise as much as my knee will allow. It's a constant balancing act between keeping the joint active and managing the pain. My ongoing weight reduction makes this task that bit easier. This change also makes simple things like standing up for an hour or so much less of an ordeal.

I personally aim to exercise either indoors or on the bike about four times a week. My knee will be too sore to do all of my physio's routines every day. The spare room has become a mini exercise area with gym balls, exercise mats, various small weights, foam rollers, and a selection of resistance bands. I've even got a Sonos audio unit in there so I have plenty of loud music to keep me going!
  • gemtayls
    gemtayls Posts: 42 Member
    [/quote]
    I totally agree about the cycling. I usually go out regularly but keep an eye on the distances. More frequent but shorter rides suit me best, and I also ensure that I use low enough gears to keep a high cadence and lower loading. I certainly try not to feel sorry for myself because the negativity doesn't change anything. Unfortunately my ACL trauma was severe enough that it put a big indentation in the surface of the articular cartilage. This means I live with constant pain, so the trick is to exercise as much as my knee will allow. It's a constant balancing act between keeping the joint active and managing the pain. My ongoing weight reduction makes this task that bit easier. This change also makes simple things like standing up for an hour or so much less of an ordeal.

I personally aim to exercise either indoors or on the bike about four times a week. My knee will be too sore to do all of my physio's routines every day. The spare room has become a mini exercise area with gym balls, exercise mats, various small weights, foam rollers, and a selection of resistance bands. I've even got a Sonos audio unit in there so I have plenty of loud music to keep me going!
    [/quote]

Ooo god Rosie yeah that sounds painful. The thing is if you're other leg muscles are strong they take the heat off your knee so the more you do, the more you can do. Now I find if I slack off with exercise (over Christmas for example) I really notice my knee starting to play up so it pushes me back into doing things. Haha you're spare room sounds amazing - you should start charging entry..!! :D
  • prattiger65
    Another tool that may be useful, I take a longer look at my calories. What I mean is, I look more at a weekly number as opposed to a daily one. For instance, my daily number is 1840......1840x7=12880. as long as I am at or under 12880 for the week, im good. Just an idea.
  • dianemmn
    Another tool that may be useful, I take a longer look at my calories. What I mean is, I look more at a weekly number as opposed to a daily one. For instance, my daily number is 1840......1840x7=12880. as long as I am at or under 12880 for the week, im good. Just an idea.

I am normally under most days but I do find it hard to stick to it but have decided not to beat myself up just because I have a chocolate bar a couple of days a week.

It was because I didn't lose any weight last week nor this week by the looks of it and just thought even after all this I still haven't lost any.It made me question what I was giving it up for?Just to not put any more weight on?

I have never had to watch what I ate but I guess age and quitting smoking took it's toll.
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Have you tried adapting the recipes you make? So things like less oil, steaming instead of frying, sweet potato fries baked instead of fried.

Maybe you are trying to do too much at once and overwhelming yourself. Try doing small changes, drink more water, move more, watch your portions but still enjoy your food. Maybe get your granddaughter involved in shopping trips - pick a fruit or veg you've never tried before. have a taste testing of healthier foods, teach her to cook with you- stuff like that
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    I do eat veg but I think it is what I put with it because my favourite food is a roast dinner and it is always a 1000 calories but I tell myself it is twice a week.

I do still have my favourite foods just less of them and try to limit chocolate to the weekend.

You can still have your roasts - but they don't have to be 1000 calories! It's all about portion control, and that's where MFP really comes into it's own :smile:
    If you weigh everything that you cook for your roast, and log it in MFP, you will be able to see exactly where the calories are coming from. Then you can start to make better choices about portion sizes - maybe having one yorkshire pudding instead of two, but increase the carrots, have roast chicken rather than pork, etc. It takes some time to get used to, but you don't have to stop eating your favourite things :smile: Sometimes they just need to be reconfigured!
  • dianemmn

You can still have your roasts - but they don't have to be 1000 calories! It's all about portion control, and that's where MFP really comes into it's own :smile:
    If you weigh everything that you cook for your roast, and log it in MFP, you will be able to see exactly where the calories are coming from. Then you can start to make better choices about portion sizes - maybe having one yorkshire pudding instead of two, but increase the carrots, have roast chicken rather than pork, etc. It takes some time to get used to, but you don't have to stop eating your favourite things :smile: Sometimes they just need to be reconfigured!

That is measuring everything and believe me that is a small portion.:smile:

You are right though I can see just where they are coming from and if I swap the lamb for chicken it does lower it and I really don't need the pigs in blankets but I love them.My main problem was the mash and lamb.

I can still get under my calories though even on these days.I am allowed 1500 a day and I exercise for an hr a day but do take the calories burnt with a pinch of salt.I see a fair few people on here use heart monitors.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    Nothing wrong with a 1000 calorie meal once in a while. Just make it fit. Eat less other days, whatever you need to do. I prefer a smaller lunch and breakfast and a big dinner. Whatever works for you.

And chocolate bars are not the devil. If you like it, eat it, and do what you need to to make the numbers work. I moderate things like chocolate, crisps and biccies because they make me nibbly and use up so many calories, but I haven't cut them out. I just don't eat them as often, and I make sure I log them when I do. Log, log, log. It's my only unbreakable rule.

It doesn't sound like you're doing too badly to me. A stall for a week or two doesn't mean you're failing. It just happens.

Chin up!