No Sleep?

Options
Not sure if this has to do with diet, but for the past few weeks I have been unable to sleep properly. I either toss and turn at night, or just go 40 hours or more without sleeping. It is bad, I know, but I physically cannot fall asleep

It has happened before (before I started on MFP) but extremely rarely. Like... maybe 2 times. Then more recently it has been happening 2-3 times a week. I haven't been able to find a pattern between my eating and sleeping though. I HAVE been on a binge eating cycle the past week or so, but stopped. And before that I was following my MFP calorie recommendations.

I have tried:
drinking hot water before bed
exercising
getting out during the day when it is sunny
relaxing at night
cutting out caffeine throughout the day
taking caffeine early in hopes the caffeine crash would make me sleep

and none of it seems to have worked so far :frown: Any other ideas?

Replies

• lfondots
    lfondots Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I want to preface this with I'm not a doctor but sometimes stress can cause the sleeplessness. I also hate meds but did you try melatonin? Natural sleep aid in pill form. Also there are over the counter sleep meds. Once your body is off track sometimes it is hard to get it back to regular sleep patterns. Also if you aren't sleeping well don't stress over your weight. At night your body recouperates so if you aren't sleeping well, you will have trouble loosing weight. Good luck and hope you get some quality sleep soon. If you don't after trying everything, I would say talk to a doctor and see what they say. I have a friend that has big problems sleeping for many years and is doing sleep studies to fix her issues.
  • malvakai
    Options
    I like an over the counter sleeping pill for my occassional bouts of insomnia. It's not strong enough to force sleep but if I lay down and force myself to relax it helps me drift off and helps me fall back asleep when I wake up later in the night.

I hate to say it because I'm bipolar and like many I tend to see my own problems in other people but could you be manic? I get very hungry for protiens and get sleepless and itchy when I'm manic. There are forms of bipolar that dont swing so fast or severely as I do but only act up a few times a year.

I know people would like to think healthy means never having to take a pill but sometimes the right medicine is just right.
  • cehrenhaus
    Options
    If I exercise late, as after 6PM I cannot sleep. Maybe this is related?
    Also, have you tried yoga or meditation? Yoga does put me to sleep right after.
  • saychzzz
    saychzzz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Don't exercise within 4 hours of going to bed. Sometimes that helps. Melatonin is a good idea, so is warm milk. Good luck!!
  • kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    drinking hot water before bed - Try warm milk.
    exercising - You do not want to do this before bed time. The increase in heart rate will keep you up rather than put you to sleep. Perhaps 3hrs before bed is when you should end your exercise.
    getting out during the day when it is sunny - Don't really see how this will affect anything but who knows.
    relaxing at night - What is relaxing to you? Relaxing should be something that does not stimulate the mind or body. It's usually suggested to read a boring book.
    cutting out caffeine throughout the day - Good.
    taking caffeine early in hopes the caffeine crash would make me sleep - Bad idea. If you don't need caffeine; don't use it.
  • pinksocks73
    Options
    1 excedrin pm or benadryl and celestial season's "sleepytime" tea. I work 12 hr night shifts and periodically have bouts of insomnia and this does the trick; plus I don't feel all crappy groggy when I wake up.
  • jodie_t
    jodie_t Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Things that keep me awake (apart from stress) are - exercising too close to bedtime (like 4 hours or less); chocolate too close to bedtime (its a stimulant, especially dark choc); tea/coffee too close to bedtime (unless decaff).

Things that help - dairy/carbs before bed (dairy especially helps make you sleepy).

There's an antihistamine over here called Nytol, an OTC med used for insomnia, its one of the old antihistamines that used to make you very drowsy.. it works a treat.

Lime flower (or Linden)
    http://www.digherbs.com/lime-flower.html

5-HTP
    http://www.advance-health.com/5htp.html

Melatonin
    http://www.agestop.net/Agestop/category.aspx?CID=89

In the past I've used the first 3 (and they worked) but not tried the last one. I had quite a chronic problem soon after having 3 kids in 5 years, I think the stress got to me, but kicked it eventually with hypnotherapy.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    get some reiki! i know it sounds all hippy like, but I freakin' love energy healing! I am able to administer it...learn how to meditate for sure...there's tons of books and online help to learn how to center yourself...do it in the morning (i do it at night because in the morning i just pass out)...this is going to sound dumb, but clean your energy! clean the energy in your room and your chakras...geez that does sound dumb, that's why i took the classes, because i didn't believe it...but man I'm a believer now lol it does work
  • cakeslovesbaking
    Options
    Well, I cant sleep if I am hungry. Try a warm cup of soya milk (lower calories and fat than cows milk) It usually helps the hunger pangs.
  • masanz1
    masanz1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Cut out caffeine completely, tea can be very high in caffeine and in some people 1 cup is enough to wire them all night. I personally would stay away from the "natural sleep aids". In my experience they work, but not until many hours later when it is time to get up and plays heck on your day. Everybody is different so they key is to find out what relaxes you..oh yeah..when I play video games, that will stimulate the mind and keep you up also. Maybe best to consult a doctor if you cannot find the key.
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    Might be a stupid question BUT.. are you taking any diet pills? Like Lean FX, or hydroxycut?

If so, my guess would be that is probably why. I used to take Lean FX for lifting, and it gave me so much energy I realized I could go with maybe only 2 or 3 hours of sleep a night. I quickly stopped taking it.
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    I hate to say it because I'm bipolar and like many I tend to see my own problems in other people but could you be manic? I get very hungry for protiens and get sleepless and itchy when I'm manic. There are forms of bipolar that dont swing so fast or severely as I do but only act up a few times a year.

I don't know enough about being bipolar to know if I am, but I have been having weird cravings for nuts, peanut butter, salty foods, etc. when usually I crave sweets. I turned to sweets when I had no nuts to binge on, but they actually made me feel sick :/
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    If I exercise late, as after 6PM I cannot sleep. Maybe this is related?
    Also, have you tried yoga or meditation? Yoga does put me to sleep right after.

I usually exercise before showering. That is the only time I have to exercise, though! It doesn't seem to matter whether I do or don't though. Sometimes when I do, I can or can't sleep, and when I don't, I can or can't sleep, so there has been no pattern :(
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    drinking hot water before bed - Try warm milk.
    exercising - You do not want to do this before bed time. The increase in heart rate will keep you up rather than put you to sleep. Perhaps 3hrs before bed is when you should end your exercise.
    getting out during the day when it is sunny - Don't really see how this will affect anything but who knows.
    relaxing at night - What is relaxing to you? Relaxing should be something that does not stimulate the mind or body. It's usually suggested to read a boring book.
    cutting out caffeine throughout the day - Good.
    taking caffeine early in hopes the caffeine crash would make me sleep - Bad idea. If you don't need caffeine; don't use it.

I have tried drinking warm soymilk, but it doesn't help either :(
    Before my shower is when I exercise, otherwise I wouldn't exercise at all! It doesn't seem to matter whether I do or not though
    Getting out during natural light is supposed to reset your natural clock ;) Since artificial light throws it off
    I have tried slow breathing and clearing my mind, but I just get annoyed :o I tried a relaxing game on my DS from a brain drain game that is meant to help you relax, but nothing worked
    OK, I will keep cutting out my caffeine :tongue: But honestly even on the days that I have coffee in the afternoons, sometimes I can sleep and sometimes I can't . There just isn't a pattern
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    Things that keep me awake (apart from stress) are - exercising too close to bedtime (like 4 hours or less); chocolate too close to bedtime (its a stimulant, especially dark choc); tea/coffee too close to bedtime (unless decaff).

Things that help - dairy/carbs before bed (dairy especially helps make you sleepy).

There's an antihistamine over here called Nytol, an OTC med used for insomnia, its one of the old antihistamines that used to make you very drowsy.. it works a treat.

Lime flower (or Linden)
    http://www.digherbs.com/lime-flower.html

5-HTP
    http://www.advance-health.com/5htp.html

Melatonin
    http://www.agestop.net/Agestop/category.aspx?CID=89

In the past I've used the first 3 (and they worked) but not tried the last one. I had quite a chronic problem soon after having 3 kids in 5 years, I think the stress got to me, but kicked it eventually with hypnotherapy.

I am going to cut out all stimulants closer to bedtime. IDK if it will help, but it is worth a try, right? :) I don't have health insurance so I can't get any medications, though honestly I prefer not to take any :tongue: What are good carbs to have before bed? I will try to take more warm soymilk too :3
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    get some reiki! i know it sounds all hippy like, but I freakin' love energy healing! I am able to administer it...learn how to meditate for sure...there's tons of books and online help to learn how to center yourself...do it in the morning (i do it at night because in the morning i just pass out)...this is going to sound dumb, but clean your energy! clean the energy in your room and your chakras...geez that does sound dumb, that's why i took the classes, because i didn't believe it...but man I'm a believer now lol it does work

I have tried meditation a LOT! I used to be really into meditation, chakras, etc. One of my coworkers did suggest "cooling" foods because my energy might be too hot. So many different suggestions!! I will have to try all of these~ Thanks
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    Might be a stupid question BUT.. are you taking any diet pills? Like Lean FX, or hydroxycut?

If so, my guess would be that is probably why. I used to take Lean FX for lifting, and it gave me so much energy I realized I could go with maybe only 2 or 3 hours of sleep a night. I quickly stopped taking it.

None at all. I take two gummy bear vitamins in the morning and that is it :bigsmile: