Has anyone lost weight with 'cheat days'?

Options
wriri7_x
wriri7_x Posts: 94 Member
I was wondering whether anyone has lost any weight with a cheat day once a week?
My day goes like-

EXAMPLE:
Small breakfast
Mixed kebab with chips for lunch
Milkshake in the evening
1 crisp and 1 chocolate and some sweets

I eat 1200 calories 6 days of the week, so will a cheat day hinder my weight loss?

Replies

• BlueAngelChar
    BlueAngelChar Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    lol you dont want to look at my diary, I've lost 111 in 8 months and big macs, kebabs and chips are a weekly treat for me lol so yes I'd have to say I eat what I want and still loose weight because I burn it off!
  • nicmax88
    nicmax88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Look at your average for the week. I have a cheat day but still try and keep the average for the week around 1200. I also don't count my exercise as saved calories, only actual food.
  • wriri7_x
    wriri7_x Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Look at your average for the week. I have a cheat day but still try and keep the average for the week around 1200. I also don't count my exercise as saved calories, only actual food.

How do I find my average?
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    My last "cheat" day i had 2lbs of wings and like 7000* pitchers of beer.

*number estimated using severity of hangover

Obviously I don't do that weekly - but you can go over on calories once in a while as long as you sustain a long term deficit.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day probably once a week. As long as your not wiping out your entire deficit for the week in one day you will still lose weight.
  • Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I eat a higher amount of calories usually once a week.
  • nicmax88
    nicmax88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options

How do I find my average?

I use the myfitnesspal app on my phone. I record everything I consume everyday, and check my weekly average by going to the menu and selecting 'nutrition' then 'weekly'.
  • verasdaughter
    verasdaughter Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Instead of making it an all day affair I like to choose an item that I have been really wanting and fit it into my calorie goal for the day. I will purposely make my lunch lighter in calories to fit it in. There will be times where a whole day of indulging can occur. Just make sure not to let it get you down and start over the next day.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    My last "cheat" day i had 2lbs of wings and like 7000* pitchers of beer.

*number estimated using severity of hangover

Obviously I don't do that weekly - but you can go over on calories once in a while as long as you sustain a long term deficit.

:drinker: :drinker: love this.

If I know I'm going to be in a situation where I'll be tempted to eat food that normally doesn't fit into my calories (like, say, a superbowl party) for the day I'll trim a little here and there from other meals in the week so my weekly net is ok. It's working for me.
  • morethanthis0
    morethanthis0 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I pretty much whatever I want just smaller portions and more veggies thrown in. I don't really have actual cheat days because I still eat things I like everyday...I dont feel like I need a cheat day (for me I think it would bring me back to old habits). Every once in awhile I go out to eat for dinner and will go over calories but I eat healthier during the day since I know I'll be going out.
  • Nuke096
    Nuke096 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This is my second time around the weight loss carousel. The first time I lost 60 pounds in 7 months and always had a cheat day every week to keep my sanity. Just don't do what I did and let the cheat day become an every day thing once the weight is off or you will be back on the carousel as I am right now.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    You can also work your desired foods into your daily goals....
    May not be able to eat as much of it....but it is an option.

but 1200 calories is pretty low
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I was wondering whether anyone has lost any weight with a cheat day once a week?
    My day goes like-

EXAMPLE:
    Small breakfast
    Mixed kebab with chips for lunch
    Milkshake in the evening
    1 crisp and 1 chocolate and some sweets

I eat 1200 calories 6 days of the week, so will a cheat day hinder my weight loss?

One other thing....
    What is height, weight, activity level, and age??

right now, 1200 over 6 days is 7200 calories
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I usually take Sat and Sun off every week but I also dont eat my exercise calories back. I went to Scoobys workshop found out my BMR eat that exercise M-F and take the weekend off so I can go out with hubby and not have to think about it. Ive been maintaining since Oct and havent gained at all. But you also cant go gorging on EVERYTHING! I still am reasonable. Except for last weekend when hubby craved chocolate cream pie. Yes I ate 2 slices one Sat and one Sun. And I also loved every bite of it. :love:
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    I am wondering who you are "cheating". As long as there is sufficient deficit in your week or s time period, or you chose to have slightly less one day and more another, "banking" a few calories or may be carbs to use later you should be ok.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    .My rule is, I can do cheat days whenever I deem appropriate (which is usually just one day, and it's always on a Fri. or Sat.)

But my stipulation is, if I'm going to cheat that day, I MUST go to the gym.

Eat right. Exercise. Often both. NEVER neither.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I have a regular "cheat day" all the time and I lost 110 pounds in a year.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options

I do this... I eat lower some days and 'cheat' others. Has worked for me. I also don't eat back my exercise calories to account for those extra calories. It works for me. Helps me get thru the week knowing I can splurge a bit and get my cravings in.

I look at it more as a weekly total not a daily total.
  • linsdog
    linsdog Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I usually take Sat and Sun off every week but I also dont eat my exercise calories back. I went to Scoobys workshop found out my BMR eat that exercise M-F and take the weekend off so I can go out with hubby and not have to think about it. Ive been maintaining since Oct and havent gained at all. But you also cant go gorging on EVERYTHING! I still am reasonable. Except for last weekend when hubby craved chocolate cream pie. Yes I ate 2 slices one Sat and one Sun. And I also loved every bite of it. :love:

This...same for me. Typically eat up to my calories and let exercise calories go where they will. Though recently transitioned into maintenance and have been maintaining app 170-175 at 5'10" for a couple months now no problems.
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Instead of making it an all day affair I like to choose an item that I have been really wanting and fit it into my calorie goal for the day. I will purposely make my lunch lighter in calories to fit it in. There will be times where a whole day of indulging can occur. Just make sure not to let it get you down and start over the next day.
    This is pretty much me also.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!