Other than Cardio

Options
I have got a good handle on getting my cardio in, but I am wanting to do more with weights and what not, but feel pretty clueless..I work out at my apartment gym, they have dumb bells and also a universal machine but feeling overwhelmed with that. I also was intrested in things I might be able to do at home too, like I have resistant bands from Physical Theropy when I broke leg but only have one excerise with that. Any advice would be helpful!! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• mgarciaserra
    mgarciaserra Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I recently started doing the power 90 program (similar to p90x but for those of us who are not in good enough shape to do that one)! You workout about 30 min per day and there are two DVDs, one with cardio (but adds a lot of strength) and a circuit (weights) one. They aren't the most exciting, but they get the job done and are easy to follow. Just a suggestion, and they are great for people who don't know where to start.

I'm actually considering adding MORE cardio into my routine. What kinds of cardio do you do?

Hope this gives you something to think about :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Google "You are your Own Gym" Lots of great body weight exercises, and a routine you can follow.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I bought a set of resistance bands over Christmas, came with a set of 3 different ones. There are lots of things you can do with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRYJGLU0bO0

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/workout-routines/full-body-resistance-band-workout

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/portable-resistance-band-fitness-routine
  • Sactown900
    Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This app(journaling) is how I keep it off. If I blew it by noon, my dinner is pretty spartan. The Iron Guru Vince Gironda stated, "body sculpting is 80% diet...if you don't have your diet down first, the rest is moot." Vince was WAY ahead of his time.

Remember we all have a "six-pack" of abs muscles. I just chose to cover them with fat most of my life.

You can hire a personal trainer(they will look like a weightlifter) for 2-3 workouts to show you how to do each lift the right way. Then pay them again in six months to check your form. The right trainer played HS and college sports, so they have some time in the gym. I've been lifting for 48 years. My dad, uncles and cousins all still lift wights 3-6 days a week. A good trainer was an athlete. You can even take weight training for one semester at the local college.

There are tons of Web sites and Youtube videos to help you with beginners workouts. Pick two and follow them. Do not be overwhelmed by the bodybuilding.com type sites. They are "professional" competitors. They have to take drugs to succeed.

"Less is More" Work your muscles largest to smallest (Legs/Glutes, Lats, Pecs, Deltoids, Triceps, Biceps,). One lift per muscle! Stretch at the end of each workout. Do your cardio on the off days(cool down with Core).

Workout every 3rd day(Monday/Thursday, etc). Warm up with a fast 10 minute walk. For three weeks(until soreness goes away) do only one set, then two sets for a few weeks, then three sets. Do high reps(12-15), but use slow-strict form. Never lift to complete failure. As soon as a burn(fatigue) begins you are done with that set.

At home do Squats (to a low chair) & push ups(start on knees-not toes) with body weight. Seated lat pulls, side lateral raises, standing curls and triceps extensions can all be done with the stretch bands if your not at a gym. At the gym use machines for six months to avoid injuries, but graduate to free weights. With strength training, rest is as important as the workout. Remember less is more with resistance training. Intensity is the key. Why do 5 sets of 8 sloppy reps, when 2 sets of 12 slow-strict reps worked the muscle? Rest one minute between sets.

Do not beat yourself up for missing workouts. If I miss a day, but got more rest, I am very strong and enthused on my next workout. If your staying UNDER in your calories, your okay. Stay hydrated all day.

I strongly suggest you take advantage of the free gym. I have a gym at work and in a friends back yard, but kept one bench and adjustable dumbbells when I got rid of my garage gym(for a Hot Rod). If your NOT going to use the apartment gym, invest in two adjustable 45 lbs. dumbbells and a flat bench. Get them on craigslist.

You can get a great workout with very little gear. Remember, you burn more calories by having more muscle tissue.

The foods we eat are 80% of getting in shape. Consistency is more important than the workout. Good Luck.
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Just reinforcing what others have said but DVDs, body weight exercises (plans, lunges etc.) and hiring a trainer to set up a routine for you on the equipment and with the free weights.
  • abhull14
    abhull14 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks, for all the advice, looking forward to starting some of these ideas.
  • abhull14
    abhull14 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 40-55 minutes of walking on the tread mill