Sushi

Options
I am going to sushi today with some friends for lunch. What roll should I order? I was planning on having a bowl of miso soup. I love me some sushi.

Replies

• aavila60
    aavila60 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    spicy tuna!! yum
  • russellvolk
    russellvolk Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Go for sashimi and avoid the rice. I used to eat rolls with rice. Once I started watching what I'm eating, I switched over to sashimi. The first time I tried sashimi, I loved it. I'll never go back to eating sushi with rice. I don't like how bloated you feel after eating all that rice.

Be careful with the type of sauces they put on either sushi or sashimi. Many of them are mayo based.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I am going to sushi today with some friends for lunch. What roll should I order? I was planning on having a bowl of miso soup. I love me some sushi.

Whatever sushi is your favorite. Just count it in. Eat the amount that fits your goals for the day.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Whatever sushi is your favorite. Just count it in. Eat the amount that fits your goals for the day.
    This. I also like salad or edamame to help fill me up. But, if I want a roll with crispy fried whatever the hell goodness is on top, I go for it and make it work. And if I go over for the day, I accept that, move on and get right back on track the next meal.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Usually sushi is pretty calorie dense so heads ups.

I like plain yellow-tail or tuna sushi. None of that sauce crap all over it.
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options

• STC1188
    STC1188 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Something with Spicy Tuna and Cream Cheese. Or Cream Cheese and Shrimp. Or Crab (or probably Krab).
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The idea of cream cheese in sushi rolls is just wrong!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're looking for.

Spicy Tuna v Tuna roll (we'll assume carbs and protein are similar):

Spicy tuna roll - 290 cal, 11g fat
    Tuna Roll - 184 cal, 1.8 g fat

So "What should I eat" depends on nutritional goals and what you're trying to do.

This might help you make a choice that aligns with your goals:
    http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-health/calories-in-sushi/

My definition of a great sushi lunch is a tuna roll and a salmon roll. and a couple beers,
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    The idea of cream cheese in sushi rolls is just wrong!

I used to think this until I tried one with chicken tempura and cream cheese .. zounds, that was good.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Go for sashimi and avoid the rice. I used to eat rolls with rice. Once I started watching what I'm eating, I switched over to sashimi. The first time I tried sashimi, I loved it. I'll never go back to eating sushi with rice. I don't like how bloated you feel after eating all that rice.

Be careful with the type of sauces they put on either sushi or sashimi. Many of them are mayo based.

If you're looking to keep the calories down, then this, Otherwise, order 1 of everything :)
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I am NOT a fan of cream cheese in my sushi. But I love a good salmon/avocado roll or a spicy tuna (none of the sauce crap on top). My local place does brown rice as an option...

I usually get some miso, a half order of edamame, an order of yellowtail sashimi, and salmon/avocado roll.

Now I dont want my lunch...bring me some back please! :)
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Totally this. I would never go to a sushi place and avoid the rice. Hello, that's the best part. Also, I refuse to pay a high price for something I don't really want to eat. And what I really want to eat is some kind of tempura roll, and no one will take it away from me. :laugh:
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Sashimi all day long....
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    There is a deep part of me that really wishes I could find some sort of sushi I like.. But so far it has been the most foul thing i have ever tried.

i keep trying different kinds though in hopes that one day maybe i will find one that i like..

maybe i can find some ideas on here also.
  • Bellusion
    Options
    If you want to watch your calories, def go for sashimi instead of sushi, avoid rolls with mayo and tempura (crispy, crunchy, deep-fried..). I'm having sushi tonight for my birthday dinner and I can't wait, it's my favorite. We will be ordering an assorted sashimi plate, a tuna roll, a cucumber roll and a specialty roll (don't know which one yet).. and it will still fit into my calories. :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

Totally this. I would never go to a sushi place and avoid the rice. Hello, that's the best part. Also, I refuse to pay a high price for something I don't really want to eat. And what I really want to eat is some kind of tempura roll, and no one will take it away from me. :laugh:

yup!!!

While I don't necessarily go for the tempura rolls, I looooove sushi rice
  • DrexlerL
    Options
    Choose Sashimi or negiri
    Healthy choice

or go with seaweed salad/seafood salad,
    they fill you up :D
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I think you should have what you want. It's SUSHI and you need to FILL YOUR BELLY. LOL Have a Sapporo while you are at it. :drinker:

Drink lots of water after to flush out the sodium from the soy sauce.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    There is a deep part of me that really wishes I could find some sort of sushi I like.. But so far it has been the most foul thing i have ever tried.

i keep trying different kinds though in hopes that one day maybe i will find one that i like..

maybe i can find some ideas on here also.
    So, I'm not a huge fan of seafood in general, and I always thought I hated sushi. Until a sushi chef made a roll wrapped in cucumber instead of nori. Turns out, a big part of me not liking it was the nori, so now I order sushi with soy paper instead. I still prefer the lesser fishy-rolls, so I get a lot of crab, shrimp, tuna, california roll, etc.