BMR vs. MyFitnesspal's Diet Profile Target

Options
Hello everyone. This is my first post here.

I'm a bit confused, as there seems to be a 400 calorie discrepancy between my BMR (2,000 calories) vs. what MyFitnessPal is saying I burn per day (2,400), and I wonder if that's why I'm barely losing any weight. Besides walking for about 90-180 minutes a day, I'm barely doing anything as far as exercise or moving around is concerned, so I'd really like to go by my BMR vs. MyFitnessPal's estimate...

That said, I'm currently netting only 1,650 calories per day. I'm 6 ft tall and about 214-220 lbs (it really shifts up and down quite a bit, and i think this is water weight??) I have it set to lose 1.5 lbs/week. Here's what I currently have as my nutritional goals: http://cl.ly/image/3o0I1l373U1Q

I wonder if I got down to just 1,250 net cals per day (based off my BMR), if what would just be insane?

I'd like to get into the 205 and/or under range... I've been on this diet and exercise plan for the past 16 weeks and it seems to be really stagnating and like I haven't lost any weight at all, actually. I've been netting 1,650 cals/day for that long and I'd think that I should have lost at least 16 lbs since then (technically it should have been 24).....but it really feels like I've only lost like 6-10 lbs... (and closer to 6!)

I know I should probably change up my exercise routine, but I have to be very careful as I have had back surgery and a damaged nerve in my back, which is easily riled and creates pain. I also wonder how much perhaps muscle growth could contribute to this? I doubt very much as I'm really not lifting weights---just walking.

I'm also thinking perhaps I consume too much sugar and/or salt. And maybe I'm just retaining far too much water. I have a friend who has significantly altered his sodium intake and has lost about 20 lbs---just doing that. Could someone retain that much in water weight, I wonder?

This plateau, and all the stagnation/barely getting anywhere since October is really depressing. I thought I'd certainly would have met my goal by now.

Technically, I should have lost 24 lbs by now, and it's really only been 6-10, so I don't get what's going on.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    BMR is basically the amount of calories you burn laying in bed all day. The 2400 is probably your TDEE, which is your BMR plus calories used in activities and exercise.

If I were you, I'd eat more. I'd "net" at least 1800 calories every day. Probably closer to 2000.
  • WBB55
    Options
    I put your info into this
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and the numbers weren't far off from my suggestion. If you're sure you're tracking your calories correctly, then I think you aren't losing weight at the expected rate because you're not eating enough.

I do not think a net goal of 1250 is smart for you.
  • pbergson
    pbergson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    thanks, yeah, i feel like i'm barely eating enough as it is, so i'm thinking lowering it even more might be crazy. that said, i'm not sure how eating more would help. i guess you're thinking it will speed up my metabolism more? have folks had success in losing weight by eating more calories?!!? thanks again for your reply!
  • pbergson
    Options
    ...the other thing is maybe what i'm entering in as far as calories burned while exercising, isn't correct---so i made some changes. it used to be that i'd put in that i burned about 425 calories for 60 mins of walking... now i'm changing that to 315 calories per hour based on some other walking calculators i've found... so instead of burning 950 cals a day, i will now enter in about 730, which will make a difference of 120 calories... making it closer to altering it up to 1,800 net cals, as per your suggestion.....but maybe i'll try adjusting calories eaten, as well.
  • WBB55
    Options
    In my opinion, having greater than a 1000 calorie per day deficit on average is counter productive.

Just so you see my perspective, if your BMR is 2000. And your normal daily activities bring it to 2400. Then ON TOP OF THAT, you're exercising 730 MORE calories, that means your actual TDEE on the days you work out is 3130. I don't know if that's correct, I'm just going on the numbers you've given me.

If your TDEE is 3130, then I wouldn't recommend eating less than a total of 2130. A deficit greater than 1000 per day on average simply is counterproductive. Your body starts storing the calories you give it instead of using them to fuel your exercise more.
  • pbergson
    Options
    got it, i'll mull it over. in the meantime, i've adjusted my net calories to 1,800 (a 150 increase) and have adjusted the amount of calories i burn by about 120 calories less....so in total i've increased my net calories consumed per day by about 220 more than i was getting before. it seem odd and backwards, but i need to change *something* up. we'll see if this works. if not, i may have to try getting more vigorous workouts in, at the gym. that's how i lost a ton of weight a while ago---i think weightlifting and HIIT (high intensity interval training) are very important, but i'm just hesitant to do it as i can't afford to mess up my back any more... we'll see. i'll come back here in a few weeks and update the forum on my progress. thanks again for your feedback!
  • WBB55
    Options
    At 1800 net calories, you are definitely still below maintenance, so no matter what, you won't gain any fat. (As long as you're accurate with the calories consumed.) So try to be smart. Fuel your workouts. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
  • pbergson
    Options
    oh, and i actually think my normal day-to-day activities = my BMR = 2,000. As I said, beyond the exercise I do, I barely do anything else. So that's why I'm going by my BMR.

On top of the 2,000 BMR cals, is the exercise, bringing it to approximately 2,720. and now i have adjusted my net calorie intake to 1,800.... so the deficit is actually 920 calories per day. i simply wish MyFitnessPal would allow us to change this page up a bit: http://cl.ly/image/0V22313x0r05 - i think the "2400" number needs to be 2000.... but it's something they don't allow us to adjust.
  • Indiri13
    Indiri13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is lying in bed doing literally nothing. You didn't get up to eat, go to the bathroom, NOTHING. You sleep for 24 hours a day.

If you are not sleeping for 24 hours a day then you multiply by activity level. Sedentary (x1.2) means you still do very little. No walks even. Very few people actually qualify for sedentary but let's assume that's the case for you. BMR is 2000 which means your daily burn is (2000 x 1.2) = 2400. Since you've selected sedentary then you also get more calories for the exercise (since you didn't include it in your activity level). With your walks, eating between 2000-2400 will give you weight loss (2000 being faster than 2400, obviously). Eating below that will also give you weight loss BUT although it will be faster, more of it will be muscle than if you stayed at your BMR level or above.
    Calculate Total Calorie Needs
    Even the most sedentary person will burn more than that just by smiling, laughing, or fidgeting. To get a better sense of how many calories your body uses in any given day, you need to factor in your activity level. To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise): BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (easy exercise/sports 1-3 days/week): BMR x 1.375