Why does my weight stay the same when I lose inches?

In the last couple of weeks I decreased my waist circumference and other measures quite satisfyingly. However I did not lose a lot of weight - and my weight was bouncing up and down. How can this be explained? I am quite sure that I measured right.
The most common explanation I found searching the web was that I gained muscle while losing fat. But most people here say that you can't lose on a deficit (and I am quite sure that I am eating at a deficit). Did I get something wrong there? Are these still newbie gains? If it was fluid retention I would not lose inches, right? Water has not a higher density than fat or does it?

Replies

• Are you doing weight training? I've been told that if you are a newbie to weight training and experience soreness, your actual muscles will retain water in order to recover from the workout and that water retention can reflect on the scale. It is possible to lose inches and not weight on the scale. I've been there!
  • Indiri13
    Indiri13 Posts: 104 Member
    My waist size fluctuates with water weight. If I'm really retaining my waist can be a couple inches bigger than if I'm not. The other measurements seem to be mostly immune to water retention.

I would guess that you lost weight but are retaining water. It will show your weight to be similar but the tape measurements will be smaller. What has your sodium intake been like?
  • First off, do not get all wrapped up in weight. Weight is not a true "one shot" measurement, Body Fat Percentage is more in line. Weight is just another stat that helps paint the picture. If your weight stays the same (or shocker) goes up and your dimensions drop in the right areas, that is great! You are putting on muscle and muscle weighs more than fat.

Kkmyers4 is also spot on about retaining water while weight training. If you are tearing down muscle and building, you body needs water to flush the acids out. That is why it is especially important if you are weight training to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. If you do not hydrate, the acids and toxins expelled by the muscles will not get flushed out completely. This is one of the reasons for soreness (the other is you are tearing down muscle).

Now if you feel you are just retaining water, then you need to look at your diet. If you sodium intake is high, it can contribute to water weight gain. I know a few lifters who switch up their diet for a week or two every cycle to drop the excess water weight to get a better picture of where they are before starting the next cycle.

Kathrinnbaur - This sounds like you are putting on muscle and losing fat. The whole "can't lose on a deficit" is poppycock. Do you know how they tear down weight in the military. Lots of physical training, less foods but the right foods. If you are consuming nutrient dense meals and taking the right pre/post workout supplement you can truly shape your body. This exchange is a GOOD THING. Keep it up!!!

Cavaet - I was an MP in the Army for 5 years. Keeping in shape was a real part of my life. I had to be stronger, tougher and (when necessary) meaner than the other grunts. If you have the job of policing soldiers, you better not look like you just rolled out of the doughnut shop :p If you did not look intimidating then you might just set yourself up for a fall.