looking for spaghetti squash recipes

Options
I'm looking for some easy low calorie recipes to make for dinner

Replies

• kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I just bake it in the oven for about an hour, then use a fork to string it into pieces. While the squash is baking, a make a tomato sauce with ground turkey. Make your tomato sauce, and while it's simmering, cook the turkey meat in a pan and then drain off the fat. Then add the turkey meat back to the sauce and let simmer for a while so that the turkey gets some of the sauce's flavor.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Here is one with Chimmy Churry,

It is a pictorial recipe from a facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.397243987016849.93971.282449018496347&type=3
  • tribe216
    Options
    I used www.skinnytaste.com a lot for recipes.
    I know there are some for spaghetti squash on there...
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Pre cook it a bit and fill the hollowed out part with:

Spaghetti Sauce (bake with a little sprinkle of cheese)
    Chili (bake with a little sprinkle of cheese)
    Stir Fry (veggies on their own or add lean chicken, beef, pork or shrimp)

Last summer my brother made a chicken stir fry and just shredded the cooked squash and threw it in at the end - it was delish.

Or sometimes I am a little crazy and eat all on it's own!
  • tiffnkev713
    Options
    thank you for all the great ideas :) I can't wait to try them out
  • Redgal56
    Redgal56 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I cut the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds. Cook one of two ways:
    Rub EVOO on the flesh and place on large baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes
    OR
    Prepare the squash as above, put plastic wrap on the flesh side, place on microwave-safe dish and nuke for 10 mins.

Once cooked let the squash sit for a bit to cool. With a fork shred out the 'noodles.'

Last night I made chicken Marsala over it.
    Sometimes I put marinara over it.
    I have made Alfredo sauce over it.

There is just about anything you can do with it!
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Alfredo sauce over it is GOOD. I was feeling adventurous last night and made it that way. Put some peas and some veggie crumbles in it (I'm sure ground beef, turkey, or chicken would work, too) and topped it with Parmesan. I can't even explain the taste. It was good, though. So good I think I'm gonna have it tonight, too.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Just posted a recipe that could be easily adapted for spaghetti squash
    > http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1195082-bacon-shrimp-zoodle-scampi-162-serving
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    There are lots of good recipes on this one, go to the albums and you can see pictures of everything.

https://www.facebook.com/TheSassyGourmet
  • andread123
    andread123 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    There is an AMAZING spaghetti squash carbonara on the Slender Kitchen website.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Thick spagetti sauce with red lentils:

sauté diced onion, carrot, celery, and bell pepers, then Addams many mushrooms as you like, black olives, and a couple of cloves of garlic, and a couple of cans of Italian stewed tomatoes. I also reccomend adding red peper flakes. Here is the trick: add about a half to one cup of RED lentils. They will thicken the sauce up alot like it has meat in it. The red lentils don't have a strong flavor.

Leave out whatever you don't like and be flexible with the tomato. You can add sauce or paste if you want it to taste stronger.

Buy spagetti squash when it is cheap and freeze it cooked. It will be a bit stringier, but it is way faster to prepare. You can just microwave it completely frozen and drain the extra liquid when done.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    almas whole wheat linguine with fresh marinara...boom!
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I like to top mine with the standard spaghetti sauce, but it's also good with chili on top.

I also just made an amazing "pizza spaghetti squash pie" from the Paleomg website. Link is below:

http://paleomg.com/almost-5-ingredient-pizza-spaghetti-pie/

So freaking yummy! Comfort food to the max!
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options

ha ha great minds think alike! Just made this and it is SO good. I made it with ground beef instead of sausage.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options

ha ha great minds think alike! Just made this and it is SO good. I made it with ground beef instead of sausage.

I made my own "sausage" by getting some ground pork and adding the spices. It turned out so good!!
  • NikiandZak
    NikiandZak Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Bump for the recipes

Thanks guys - great ideas
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Cut in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, rub with a little olive oil and sprinkle with herbs. Place cut side down on a cookie sheet and bake for about an hour on 350 degrees. When baked, I scoop out all the flesh and store in a ziplock container. I love a cup of it for lunch just reheated in the microwave. I skip the sauce and sprinkle with a little feta cheese and bacon....it's like comfort food with hardly any calories and very filling!
  • KHalseth
    KHalseth Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I cut mine in half,
    empty the seeds from it,
    brush it with a bit of butter or olive oil,
    and sprinkle it with what ever seasoning you want.

Place cut side down on baking sheet.
    I look up the cook time and temp everytime I make it. I can never remember that part.

But then I thread one half for dinner and I thead the other half and put it in a ziplock to take for lunch the next day.
    (Threading it: scrapping out the cooked pulp with a fork will seperate it into threads naturally.)

I've never put any sauce on mine. I keep meaning to try that but it tastes so good with different seasonings that I've never gotten around to it.