Need to Eat More Fat!

Options
I never expected this off all things to be a problem but apparently I do not eat enough fats. My macros have me 58g of fat per day (30% of calories) and one average I'm eating 20-38 grams per day. I don't actively avoid food with fat in them - though I do prefer fat free milk - I just tend to eat a high fruit and veggie diet I guess. I don't even know what sort of foods are high in fats cause it's not something I ever really thought about.

I'm eating 1735 a day and need food idea that have healthy fats in them. Especially snack ideas I can use to supplement for days when I'm eating too lean. I'm not allergic to anything and am not at all a picky eater.

Ideas:
Almonds
Avacados (but I can only get those in summer and spring)
Cheese
Peanut butter (not a huge fan...)
dark chocolate (already eat some every day)

Replies

• murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Avocados, olives, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans and certain oils.

Edit: Forgot young coconuts, hemp seeds, Chia seeds..well pretty much all seeds lol
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Ranch dressing on your veggies. In my case, I make salads with olive oil and ranch. It works.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Extra virgin olive oil is where I get most of my fat. I cook everything in it and use it to make dressings for salads and sandwiches.
  • echoslug
    echoslug Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ooh olives! I didn't even think of those. I adore olives :)

Not a fan of ranch but I will definitely start putting some oil or dressing on my salads. I take lunch to work so I usually don't dress them because they get soggy. But I'll get some of those salsa cups and experiment with that.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, almonds, and cheese can do the trick. Something I've seen a lot of people do is eat Fat Bombs. I personally don't like them, but it's coconut oil, peanut butter, and cocoa powder solidified in the freezer. It's a quick and easy way to get some healthy fat into your diet, and it'll keep you satisfied for a while. Can be worth looking into if you'd like the easy of just eating one thing to get your fat intake to where you want it.
  • Bellusion
    Options
    sunflower seeds in your salad
  • fuschiagirl99
    fuschiagirl99 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Avacado oil for cooking and salad drssings
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Oilve oil. I will put a little bit on my kids' food to add fat; on veggies, in hummus, salads, etc. We also eat a lot of nuts/seeds/peanut butter/sunbutter. I switched to 1% milk (from skim). I thought 1% was nasty, b/c I had always had skim, but it isn't nasty at all.

I use some hemp/chia/flax (seeds/oil) in yogurt/cottage cheese. I usually get 2% on those too.

And of course, there is always butter.