Which Heart rate monitor...confused.com????

Options
:frown:

I need some advice, I am looking to get a new heart rate monitor, but the one I have has the usual strap for your chest which I find a nightmare coz it is uncomfortable. Is there such a heart rate monitor out there that I can just put on my wrist and it uses your radial pulse to monitor heart rate??? I am so confused, and I am sure I am asking the impossible. Can anyone offer any advice on if there is one and if so which is the best one to get??

Thanks Guys :smile:

Replies

• binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    :frown:

I need some advice, I am looking to get a new heart rate monitor, but the one I have has the usual strap for your chest which I find a nightmare coz it is uncomfortable. Is there such a heart rate monitor out there that I can just put on my wrist and it uses your radial pulse to monitor heart rate??? I am so confused, and I am sure I am asking the impossible. Can anyone offer any advice on if there is one and if so which is the best one to get??

Thanks Guys :smile:
    Depends on how accurate you want it to be. There are inexpensive ones out there that don't have a strap on. I can't speak to the effectiveness difference though.
  • Craig772
    Craig772 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Never seen any without a chest strap. What's uncomfortable about yours? Maybe you just need to find the right one. I am using a Garmin and it's really quiet flexible and soft although I have to make sure it's pulled up higher at the back.
  • lukybug
    lukybug Posts: 209
    Options
    I have the Pulsar FT4 which has the chest strap but it's made out of cloth instead of hard plastic. I don't find it to be uncomfortable at all. I purchased off Amazon.com Good luck
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I don't even feel the chest strap on my Polar F6 - and you need a chest strap if you want accurate counting. Is yours on too tight? Mine is adjustable
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would want a strap around my chest while I am trying to move about. I have a hrm I wear on my wrist from New Balance. It works great! You just lay your fingers on the face of the watch and it takes your heart rate and measures calories burned. While you are working out, you need to do this every 4 or 5 minutes so you can get an accurate amount. (it only takes a few seconds for it to register, and you can keep exercising while you do it) I have tested it against measuring my heart rate myself with my fingers on my neck, and it is right on the nose. It also matches what machines say at the doctor's office. I ordered mine at Kohl's, but you can get them at Target, too.

Here's the link at Kohl's. They're on sale for $30. (much cheaper than Target who has them for about $60.)
    http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstore/product_page.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524892563023&amp;FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374753207308&amp;searchTerm=new+balance+heart+rate+monitor&amp;bmUID=1290631888918

Btw, when I put in my exercise on here, it is usually within 20-50 calories of what mfp says I burned. So, I think that's pretty darn good. Good luck!
  • tjbeer
    tjbeer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would want a strap around my chest while I am trying to move about. I have a hrm I wear on my wrist from New Balance. It works great! You just lay your fingers on the face of the watch and it takes your heart rate and measures calories burned. While you are working out, you need to do this every 4 or 5 minutes so you can get an accurate amount. (it only takes a few seconds for it to register, and you can keep exercising while you do it) I have tested it against measuring my heart rate myself with my fingers on my neck, and it is right on the nose. It also matches what machines say at the doctor's office. I ordered mine at Kohl's, but you can get them at Target, too.

Here's the link at Kohl's. They're on sale for $30. (much cheaper than Target who has them for about $60.)
    http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstore/product_page.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524892563023&amp;FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374753207308&amp;searchTerm=new+balance+heart+rate+monitor&amp;bmUID=1290631888918

Btw, when I put in my exercise on here, it is usually within 20-50 calories of what mfp says I burned. So, I think that's pretty darn good. Good luck!

Thanks for this will check it out and thanks to everyone else too :smile:
  • AmyShip
    Options
    I just bought the Polar ft7 on amazon.com. It's not uncomfortable and was on sale! You def need a chest strap if you want an accurate reading